How much have you lost, and how (an informal poll)?

Options

Replies

• mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    18 lbs lost thus far in 2 months by cutting portions of the foods I used to eat anyway, and exercising regularly (cardio).
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Lost 30 lbs so far. Calorie counting, moderation, and stopping night time snacking (eating in the middle of the night after going to bed).
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    weight lost: 102 pounds in the last 2 years (Feb 21 was my anniversary)

Method: portion control, paying close attention to protein macro, moderate attention to fat and letting carbs land wherever they land. Is that IIFYM? I don't "do IIFYM" particularly but I do pay attention to them! I also found exercise I love (walking and even running, who knew?!) and do one or the other daily.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    60lbs

Started with low carb (17 day diet)
    Moved to strict calorie counting and eating exercise calories back
    Ended with IIFYM/Calorie counting here and heavy lifting.
    Maintaned for almost a year doing what I ended with.

• getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Lost 25 lbs. in 15 weeks. 50 lbs. remaining to loss.
    Set my daily calories goal equal to my maintenance calories once I reach my goal weight - 200 (should make transitioning to maintenance easy.) Current calorie goal is 1700 net, but I don't stress if I am over/under. My weight loss rate will go way down as I get closer to goal. Expect to reach my goal weight in about 1.5 years from now.

Started eating more like I did growing up, when I didn't have a weight problem. Which basically means I quit eating fast / convenience foods for dinner.

Dinner now consists of:
    4 oz. meat (chicken, salmon, or pork primarily)
    2 vegetables each 3.5 - 4 oz.
    1 cup whole grain rice or 4 oz. of potatoes. (sometimes skip this)

Breakfast varies: During the work week will usually be 2 nature valley granola bars, Weekends is bacon, eggs, hash browns and biscuit.

Lunch - work week = fast food more often then not, weekends all over the place, sometime skip, sometimes a sandwich and soup or fruit, sometimes same as dinner.
    At some point I plan to clean up my work week lunch and start taking my lunch to work. This is more about money quality of food then calories though.

As the weather warms up and I start doing more active recreation (primarily cycling and kayaking) I will add fuel for those activities.

So far this has worked for me and is pretty easy to do. I recently went on 1 week vacation followed by a 2 week business trip to a foreign country without calorie tracking and still maintained my weight loss, just using intuitive eating based on what I have been doing.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    13 lbs lost in 110 days, 12 lbs to go.

1)No specific restriction diet.
    2)Calorie counting.
    3)Dramatic decrease on eating out at restaurants (4-5x a week to only 1x on the weekend and eating only at maintenance that day).
    4)Less homemade baking to decrease any temptation of "eat it before it goes bad, don't let it go to waste". There's only 2 people I bake for and most recipes make too much.
    5)My home cooked dishes haven't changed, except that I have more now, and my snack choices aren't any different.
    6)I do aim for 80-100g protein a day which I've changed. Most of my diet was carbs and fat before.
    7)I lift weights and don't starve myself.
    8) I'm not a huge alcohol drinker, but I limit it to one day a week or nothing. And right now I stick to red wine.

• Justcallme_J
    Justcallme_J Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Weight lost: 56 pounds
    Method: flexible eating/portion control
    I eat basically everything I did before, just less of most things. I do try to get more vegetables and fruit now, so my diet has gradually changed without any specifics attempts to cut other foods out of it. I'm also constantly trying to get enough protein which has been a struggle for me. Other than that I don't stress over macros much. For the first several months I lost because of diet alone. In the last few months I've tried to get into the habit of exercising by walking several times a week.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    20 lb, eating less. First half just less calories, second half EM2WL of TDEE-15% and focusing on getting enough protein. Always everything in moderation.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I didn't weigh myself when I started, but I've lost around 65 lbs. I did it by calorie counting, lifting weights, and doing cardio. In the process, I cleaned up my diet and limit non-whole foods to relatively small percentage of my diet.
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    85lbs down from my highest, 72 of which I lost with MFP. (I lost that first 13lbs after moving to a walking city but didn't change my diet and got stuck at that new weight for a couple years.)

I lost it by calorie counting/flexible dieting. I sort of do IIFYM, but really, I just worry about hitting my protein and let the rest fall where it will. It's usually about the same, anyway.
  • thecraftinista
    thecraftinista Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    31 lbs lost since January 5th,
    Method: Portion control & moderation
    Exercise: Dodgeball 3x a week and I walk everywhere
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    weight loss : 168 pounds
    method
    1. i am vegan(not for my health) and eat a crap load of carbs & starches
    2. i weigh all my food
    3. have very high calorie days once every couple of months
    4. only drink water about 3 liters a day
    5. i try to watch my sodium intake just because it makes me feel better
    6. i limit my intake of processed sugar but honestly thats mostly because it flares a chronic condition i have sooo i eat things like candy,cookies whatever once in a while
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    48 pounds down.
    SW:176
    CW:128

Changed to IF 20/4 while still counting in the eating window. Started out with running and lifting but have grown lazy and complacent - along with repeatedly injured (deadlifts and I do not agree and cannot coexist peacefully). Getting back into lifting sans deadlift until I can afford a top-notch trainer to tell me how I'm screwing it up.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    20 lb so far.

Ignore all that low this low that crap. I am eating the same thing I always have, just less of it.

That and working out like a madman.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    82 lbs lost since May 2014

I guess something like iifym/flexible dieting is what I do. I try to hit my protein goals and eat high fiber. The rest is just whatever. I still will eat Twinkies and ice cream and chocolate and bacon and fast food. I eat around 1600 cals/day.
    I also use a fitbit and get 15000 steps a day; the activity combined with my calorie intake create about 1000 cal deficit/2 lb avg loss a week.

If you create a new thread with your results of this poll, please post a link to it in this thread.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    -41in six months

Probably flexible eating, unless that's a program with rules and guidelines. I also did IF for a while. I started exercising every single day (walking on rest days) when I lost 30 pounds.

I'm glad you did this poll. I'm currently taking a two-week diet break and am thinking about what to change up when I'm back on calorie restriction.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between portion control and flexible eating? If I weigh out my peanut butter and it's 34 g, I guess that's technically too large a portion, but if I'm low on fat that day it's good IME.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I've lost 155lbs give or take. Now maintaining. I lost it by eating everything in moderation, sticking to a reasonable calorie deficit from my TDEE and using MFP to track. If you need to classify it would be a blend of EM2WL and IIFYM.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    59lbs in a little over 5 months. High protein diet (40% of calories). 4-5 days cardio and weights. Very little eating out (3 times and still within calorie allotment). Never went over allotment. Cook most of my own meals or buy from supermarket (yogurt, cottage cheese, smoked salmon, etc.). Very regimented with no "treats". Carbs are usually in form of oats, farina, quinoa, cornmeal, low cal bread. Just moved up to 1450 calories a day (up from 1200 calories for the first 5 months). Added more fruit, supplements, healthy fats, protein.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have lost 90 lbs.
    I lost the weight by eating low carb, high fat, moderate protein (approx. 10%, 70%, 20%)