When did you get rid of the "fat" clothes?

Options

Replies

• healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm not there yet, but I'm getting rid of anything and everything as soon as it does not fit.

Except for my biggest pair of pants. I'm saving those as a reminder of where I was!!
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    donated everything to charity that was worthwhile after 40 lb loss. Fortunately I kept my high school clothes from 40 years ago. Now I just have to wait for paisley bell bottoms to come back in style
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have gotten rid of my largest, the 26s, 28s and 30s, last year but I still have full sets, all seasons, in 16-22. Hubs says I have 16 boxes of clothes in the spare room and attic, plus 3 smallish closets full.

I'm working hard this summer to make sure the size 20-24 all get too big and get donated.
  • jenfett1
    jenfett1 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you all on your major success in losing weight!!

I lost almost 70 lbs two years ago and was so happy but didn't have enough money to replace all of my big clothes so I bought a few things but not a lot. I only had a handful of fitted clothing that was not stretchy. This was my first mistake. Since all of my clothing was stretchy I didn't realize how fast I was gaining all of the weight back because I stopped doing what I was supposed to be doing. My plan was to donate all of my big clothes and then burn one pair of the most worn out pair of pants on new year's eve as saying goodbye to the old bad habits. Well I didn't do this and over the course of the last year and a half I have gained it all back.

This time around, I know what I have to do to lose the weight and make it stick, I just have to stay focused. But my plan for keeping it off is that as soon as I am back down to where I was last time, I am going to buy all fitted clothing. No stretchy pants, only fitted paned and button up shirts or fitted dresses for work. I am now really close to an amazing thrift store so I can now afford to replace my clothing as I need to. Once I am back to a size 18, all of my big clothes are going away. They will be donated to a homeless shelter I have already picked out and I have designated my burn clothes to celebrate that change and will make it stick this time. It might sound silly to some but I think it is will be cleansing. And don't worry I am only burning 2 pairs of pants that aren't fit to be worn.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    As I shrink out of things I put them in a laundry basket in the closet. When the basket is full, I take them to a local charity that supplies clothes to the women's shelter and also has a selection of "career" clothing for women who are homeless or at the shelter and need something appropriate for job interviews. I don't want the temptation to grow into them again and I don't have the space to store them either.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    Once I move down a size, I keep one or two pairs of pants from the size up, but get rid of the rest. It allows me a little flexibility, but still keeps me accountable. Shirts tend to stick around longer since they usually work for a much wider weight range. I try to keep them until they're just unflatteringly large. Same for dresses.
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I typically donate my clothes as soon as they are replaced with a smaller size. I don't want any excuses or opportunities to get lazy and put the weight back. So new pair of black pants? Get rid of the largest pair of black pants in the closet. That's what works for me.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    When it doesn't fit, I get rid of it. :smile:
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bethira wrote: »
    I typically donate my clothes as soon as they are replaced with a smaller size. I don't want any excuses or opportunities to get lazy and put the weight back. So new pair of black pants? Get rid of the largest pair of black pants in the closet. That's what works for me.

Same here. Got rid fast! No fat clothes left to fall back on.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Pretty much asap ... I have 2 sizes though for when I bulk but not allot. Normally a medium but go up to a large when bulking.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I called them "Never Again" clothes. Probably 6 months after I crossed the 100 pound mark.
    I want through a skinny/slim fit jeans phase (took them from my son :)
    Back to normal jeans and loose untucked shirts again. More for hardware concealment than software :)
  • moraiwebird
    moraiwebird Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I generally only hang on to 2-3 sizes up, because I don't want to even pretend there's a safety the safety net. Stuff in my closet ranges from 00-4 right now. Figure I'll regret not having the slightly bigger sizes when on a bulk cycle, though.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have one pair of pants and one shirt from my largest size clothes. When I am feeling discouraged, or beating myself up for making some choices that aren't the best for me, I will pull them out and put them on, to remind me how far I have come. To date, I have went from a size 26W to a 14, and still have 25 pounds to lose before I am at my goal weight.

Every single size I have out grown is gone. It is easy to rationalize gaining the weight back if I already have clothes that I can wear, and I refuse to let that happen. I am not a fan of clothes shopping in general, but I would much rather buy smaller sizes than larger ones, and am hopeful that will be a deterrent to gaining weight.
  • Papatoad194
    Papatoad194 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am jumping in late. Demoralizing or not. You do what is right. I work as a professional, accounts, doctors, etc. I have to look decent. Which means my clothes must fit. Bite the bullet and get back on the wagon.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Well done on your loss! I had one pair of jeans that I had as a teen in a UK size 12 that I was determined to get back into. I've now exceeded that but i'll always keep them as a reminder. All my other larger clothes went throughout my loss. I wish i had kept my work trousers to compare from start to now but regrettably they went too.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    About 6 months after I hit maintenance I tried on someone of my old clothes for fun and couldn't believe how they were falling off of me. I will never forget that day. I went from an XXL/XL to a M (sometimes small).

I gave some clothes away, threw some out, had my seamstress take some of the nicer things in and I donated the rest.

I did keep one pair of my largest shorts that used to fit tight on me and now I can fit comfortably in one leg!
  • evilqueenT
    evilqueenT Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I kept jeans and hoodies. I got rid of things in stages. xl's went when I was solidly into medium shirts for example. Now shirt wise I only have smalls and mediums. I got rid of everything else. I try to look at it with the idea that if I hadn't worn it in a year it's gone. Hoodies are hoodies and since I rarely wear them here in FL anyway I saw no reason to ditch them since even big I still wear them around the house in the winter and I kept 2 pair of jeans in the sizes I've worn since basic jeans don't change to quickly over time.
  • sdr2015
    sdr2015 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine when they started getting too big.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I am getting rid of my fat clothes as soon as I no longer need them. Thankfully I kept my smaller clothes - some of which are actually still in style. :stuck_out_tongue:

I will NOT let this happen again. I refuse to ever, ever, ever, willingly buy a size 20 or 22 (or higher) item of clothing EVER again. I will not wear it. I will keep one pair of jeans or shorts and a top perhaps just to compare to my new clothes, but the entire wardrobe is going in the garbage or thrift store pile, depending on the condition.

In fact, I'm wearing a dress for the last time Friday night. It's a little too big but I'm not going to buy another one for this occasaion; the occasion is only 1x per year, and by this time next year I better be a lot closer to size 12 than 20! So after I wear this dress on Friday, I'm going to offer it to some of my friends who may want it ...or put it back in the consignment shop from whence it came.

JUST SAY NO to keeping fat clothes!! This is a PERMANENT CHANGE!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I am getting rid of my fat clothes as soon as I no longer need them. Thankfully I kept my smaller clothes - some of which are actually still in style. :stuck_out_tongue:

I did this too. I totally cleaned out my closet and tried on everything last fall. I have boxes labelled "sooner" and "later" (you know, for those clothes I intend to get into sooner or later) and occasionally go through them to see if something else fits. I got rid of the things I will never wear again because of the style as well as the things that were too big. The only things I am keeping no matter the size are my sweaters and t-shirts. Those don't look bad at all if they are oversized so I will probably wear many of them even at goal.