When did you get rid of the "fat" clothes?

Options

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Yeah I will probably keep my t-shirts because I have several that I really like. LOL
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm very lazy so it took me a year or something, but I got rid of everything too big, as well as 6 years worth of kids clothes, in December. I only kept my size 8 jeans because they still fit, even if they're a bit loose, but somehow fit my legs better than my size 6s even though it's the same cut and the same brand.
  • deevah62
    deevah62 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I did not hang onto any of my oversize clothing. It felt wonderful giving it away and even better fitting into my new smaller size.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I've kept a pair of jeans, a shirt, and my old FFA jacket for the sake of perspective. Everything else has either gone into the donation bin or into the trash.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    immediately. I will never go back, and don't even want those clothes around as a "what if..."
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I've kept a pair of jeans, a shirt, and my old FFA jacket for the sake of perspective. Everything else has either gone into the donation bin or into the trash.

I did save a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. The closest thing I have to a before photo is with me wearing them so I saved them to wear for my progress photos.

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I got rid of all mine except one pair of pants to remind me of how big I was. I took alot to clothing consignment stores and got a % of the money they sold for. What was taken by the consignment stores, I donated to my local domestic violence shelter for the survivors of domestic violence or for them to sell in their re sale shop.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I fix my closet every month to see the clothes I hate/are too big/are too tight. But I got rid of most of my clothes this January. When I say most, I mean all of my clothes (and am in dire need of a shopping trip). Luckily, my sister and mom are the same size as I was while losing weight, so I gave it to them. :-) The other clothes they don't like I'll either donate or sell.
  • ddmusica
    ddmusica Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've made a nice bit of extra money by taking my larger clothes to a consignment shop... fun to replace them with smaller sizes! :)
  • runny111
    runny111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    As soon as I could fit into the next size down without someone being able guess my religion (ha DH says that... more applicable to men).
    Burn the boats baby. No going back.
    Now I only own at goal clothing. within a 5 lb range. And I refuse to buy anything not at the at goal size. No going backwards. Nothing fits, stay out of the stores, restaurants and hit the produce aisle and the gym.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I got rid of them when they were not wearable any more.... neither belts nor alterations would do the job.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my clothes as soon as they were too big for me. I put them in a huge pile in the guest room and then sorted, cleaned and took them to a local charity who were more than happy to sell them for others to use. My closet was pretty sparse for a while.

Since I'm not going to regain the weight EVER there's no point in keeping clothes that don't fit me.

I did the same...although I had a few pairs of premium jeans (over $200) that I gave to a friend of the family. Everything else was donated.

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I didn't.

Mine are still handy in the winter months for layering.

I can fit *three* additional layers on underneath now.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I find having the bigger clothes around makes it easier for me to be in denial about gaining back the weight, which was absolutely the case last summer.

Therefore when I got serious I actually got rid of anything that was baggy or even "fit" well at that very moment (leaving every bit of clothing I had as between a 'little' tight and 'can't even get this on') and the second I have something that I think is even a little baggy - out it goes. This is the most success I've ever had in weight loss so I think it helped.

Even if I start gaining some back and my clothes get tighter - well then maybe I buy one pair of larger pants and one shirt (or just live with tight clothes) and then start watching closer what I eat again. Small price to pay. But I haven't had that problem yet as I've really stuck to my plan this time around.

I think if you have doubts you are subconsciously questioning whether or not you are able to continue doing what you're doing for the rest of your life and you should look at changing your diet/lifestyle in a way so that you know that you CAN stay on track because it feels Easy (or at least, easy enough). I think that makes a big difference. It's really a warning to you if you're not ready to throw them out. It means you haven't completely converted to your new way of life. I'd look inward and figure out why I thought I might ever go back to what I was doing before? and why? and figure out how to solve that. I know that for myself, I just won't. Perhaps that is what gives me the confidence to just toss the old.

I'm working out 6 days per week and still calorie restricting so I'm not there yet, but I don't mind working out 6 days per week and eating mostly what I'm eating now, with maybe adding 500 calories/day back when I'm at maintenance, for the rest of my life. The idea doesn't phase me, so I don't worry about regain. If anything I'll just gain 5 lbs and then tighten up whatever I was doing to lose those 5 lbs.
  • teegoods38
    teegoods38 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Got rid of them, once belts and tucking them in no longer hid the fact that they were to large. I did keep a few items, like cardigan's and sweaters and anything that could be layered over the winter months. It feels so good shopping for new clothes in smaller sizes it reminds me that I don't want to go back to feeling uncomfortable shopping for Big clothes.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I stuck them in boxes, especially the new ones that I really liked and wanted to have altered. I lived in tight jeans and Active Basic t-shirts for my first year and a half of maintenance - it's only in the past four months or so that I started overhauling my closet. And when I did that, most of the too-big stuff went right out the door. I've taken a few of those pieces to the tailor and I'll take a few more in as I can afford to... It's so nice to have clothes that really fit.

In the past, I've held onto clothes that were too big or too small. I don't plan to do that so much anymore... By the time you can wear them again, they're out of style!
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm a minimalist and I hate having too much stuff. I get rid of my clothes and give them to good will. I do not to be reminded of what I use to wear. I look forward not back.
  • Senelrad
    Senelrad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too had/have a hard time getting rid of the "fat clothes", due to going down only to go back up (always gaining more than I lost), that I held onto to, two sizes heavier than I currently wore. But it was easier giving away the really big clothes, what I find harder is giving up the 10's, 12's & 14's. Because these are the sizes I see as "normal", but Daughter explained it well, "mom holding onto those clothes that are to big is an excuse to say to yourself 'I knew I couldn't do this' , so don't give those thoughts a chance of reality". So as of last week....there are only current sized seasonal clothes in the spare closet!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I continuously got rid of anything over 2 sizes up...
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I dropped from a 20/22 to an 8. At first I was scared to get rid of my bigger clothes, but over time, it got easier. I was so excited when I dropped out of sizes. Now I am almost frustrated. It seems like I just buy clothes and one day I put them on and am swimming in them. I am maintaining, but I started rowing and lifting. Not much change in weight, but the inches are just melting off.