When did you get rid of the "fat" clothes?

Options

Replies

• vbell0201
    vbell0201 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been getting rid of my clothes steadily as the weight comes off. I have an organization obsession so it's important to me to get rid of stuff that no longer fits. Because of this, I can only get rid of clothes (donate them or sell them) once I reach a certain
    weight. Also, because I love to go shopping, I can only go shopping when I reach weight goals as well. Getting rid of clothes is a reminder of what's coming as well as of where I've been and would never like to go again.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I sew, so I've just taken things in. I honestly have no idea what size jeans I actually wear now, lol.
  • 29_adjacent
    29_adjacent Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Not quite at maintenance yet but I made a promise to myself that I WILL NOT put the weight back on so I have already donated lots of my clothes and I'm taking several more bags to my local charity shop today. Bye bye, 'fat' clothes, I will never need you again! It's liberating!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    As soon as they felt too big. At first I kept them, thinking I would sell them on eBay, but after a while they were taking up room in my apartment so I gave some away and threw out the rest.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    OP: Ditch the "fat clothes", no questions asked. Their presence only allows you a comfortable "safety net" feeling where you can gain weight and still have stuff to wear. No one needs that. Donate it to Goodwill or use the fabric for arts and crafts.

I never really allowed myself "fat clothes". When I gained weight, I did not buy clothes accordingly except for underwear. I refused to cave in like that. Instead I would wear stretchy pajamas all the time, and the one skirt and two pairs of pants that fit me because they were old and stretched-out. I was like, "Look here, Titania, if your clothes don't fit anymore then it's not time to buy new clothes, it's time to lose weight, and I guess you're just not going to be able to wear any decent clothes until you get cracking on a diet!"

It worked, you know. ;-)
  • drooJohnson
    drooJohnson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Literally the moment I could replace them with better-fitting clothes, they were en route to goodwill. And every time I replaced them, I made SURE that I absolutely loved the way I looked in my new clothes and that I didn't skimp on price — which would make replacing those clothes with larger sizes if I gained weight, just that much more bothersome.

A large part of my weight loss has been making my life much more convenient if I just keep on the right track. Once I start to gain, that is when everything gets inconvenient, little-by-little, until I just can't stand it anymore and I trim back to my maintenance.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've actually been in the process of tossing out old clothes I kept "just cause". I've bought way too much cute stuff to justify keeping them. The shirt in my current avatar, a pair of jeans that fit tightly before the weight loss, and my old FFA jacket are all I intend to spare.

I need really need to buy more underwear. :/
  • lindzmo30
    lindzmo30 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've kept mine as I like to try them on when I'm doubting myself when I have my fat days. I'm sure I'll eventually get rid when I have my confidence sorted and I've bought more clothes that fit as I haven't had chance to spend money yet xx
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Last summer I got rid of most of my too big things, keeping only those things I truly loved and had some of them altered. This spring, again, a closet purge - trying on those things I had kept because they were loved and looking like Morty Meekle....I figured I would never wear them so out they went.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking when I was 25, which is 17 years ago but still have the last packet in a drawer. Some how feels reassuring and clearly have no intention of restarting. For that reason, (yes strange I know) I have kept my most favourite few items in my mid weight loss range, the bigger stuff and items not bothered about are now long gone.
  • blossom015
    blossom015 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It seems like one day I woke up and everything was literally too big...truth is I didn't pay attention until I had to and when I did it was somewhat emotional because of the nice new clothes that I purchased on sale during the winter were way too big for me by the Spring. I considered what if I gain weight again...the cost of rebuilding a whole new wardrobe from scratch.... Then I donated them to a charity. This way someone who really needed then got them for free....I considered it a new beginning :#
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I just got rid of them at my halfway (70lbs) mark. I only kept a couple things so I can have my pic taken wearing them at goal weight.
  • kansasgrl1500
    kansasgrl1500 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I dumped mine about 40lbs in as nothing fit. I've kept one pair of pants as a way of reminding myself how far I've come. However, I don't want to keep clothes that don't fit. I feel better in clothes that fit, and so I don't want to keep clothes that don't make me feel good.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine as soon as they were too big for me. The only thing that I have kept all these years is one pair or jeans as a reminder of how far I've come.
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am 2.5lbs away from my goal, down 55lbs, and I won't get rid of my fat clothes anytime soon. I'm young still and I want to have children one day so I plan on using my big clothes as maternity clothes. Obviously I'll probably buy some nice clothing designed for maternity but for lounging around my home or visiting family why not. :)
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    slowly, about a year in. It scared me to death. I was well past 16,14,12, and 10 it was time.
  • misfit_nemesis
    misfit_nemesis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting for 3 months and lost 70 lbs I face reality . I'm a fatass always haved always will be don't eat junk food get rid of ur clothes don't listen to what other people tell you -just handle ur *kitten*
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've got rid of a few pieces - ones that definitely don't fit any more (except for one pair of 'example' trousers and my wedding dress). But it's surprising how many old clothes are still in my wardrobe. They still fit (if a little loose) so there's no point in getting rid just yet. But when they finally don't fit any more, they're gone.