When did you get rid of the "fat" clothes?

Options

Replies

• cfw423
    cfw423 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Because I decided that I was finally going to lose the weight, I got rid of the clothes as soon as they were too big. People questioned me when I was doing it, but if I start to slip I can't pull the old clothes out of the closet I have to keep going.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Keeping them any longer than necessary, is subconsciously giving yourself permission to gain it back.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I kept one pair of size 26 to look at every once in a while, otherwise I put anything too large in my goodwill bin. They are always needed by others. Plus I shop there a lot to save money during the through sizes. There aren't many people who can buy every size as they lose. Clothing is a big expense and I find some nice clothes there. Some still have tags on them.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've kept a few items in the biggest size that I wore in some of my "before" pictures. Everything else goes away when it is too big. I will not go back.
  • CupcakeDefeater
    CupcakeDefeater Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I haven't thrown anything away - I am down 50lbs and 3 dress sizes. The problem is I really like my clothes! I'm not allowed to wear the biggest ones anymore as they look stupid and bf says its embarrasing (my bra falling out the sides etc Hahahaha!) im thinking of turning my fave dresses into pillows so hopefully one day I will slin the wardrobe out a little! Hahaha xxx
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I didn't get rid of anything - but only lost 20 pounds (only had that to lose) so my bigger clothes are still wearable.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    I save my fat clothes for the winter. Need the extra layer of protection
  • thin2be2013
    thin2be2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I went a size down I immediately give prior sizes to salvation army.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I threw some out, donated some, Kept my faves in a plastic bin and most became my 'yard work' clothes. I still have them but use them only for painting, etc...
    I probably have a small bin of clothes that I kept 'just in-case'..*kitten* happens

Never really worried about holding onto them gave myself subconscious permission to wear them again and gain weight. I got plenty of ways to know if I am gaining more than my allowable window, so I keep them for emergencies. Better than having my *kitten* sticking out of a pair of pants that is too tight for me :)
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    each time I lost a size I would either alter or give away the bigger size. I don't want anything in my closet that is too big for me in any way. NO RETURN! I'm in this for the long haul and nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!
  • dianaeatworld
    dianaeatworld Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I kept mine and I'm glad I did because the 25 lbs I lost last year I ended up gaining back while going through chemo. I've started to lose that weight now and I plan on holding on to them again just in case. It is mostly pants that I hold onto with a few favorite shirts.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I got rid of everything other than a size up about 3 months after hitting goal. I knew a size up wasn't a bad thing either since I went a bit more south than I should have. I did end up growing past that point after taking a stressful job and needed to buy bigger stuff, but I'm not into those 1 size up clothes again and I'm glad I kept them.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When my shirts become dresses and if I tighten the elastic on my pants or fasten the belt any tighter I would look like a potato sack with a belt. That's for house clothes. I actually still have some of those dress-like t-shirts if the neck isn't wide enough to slide off of me. For going out clothes, I buy new ones every 2 sizes. I actually buy my stuff 2 sizes too small, shrink into them, and once they fit I buy the next batch. The ones that don't fit anymore get donated.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    48 pounds lost and they still fit so I continue to wear them.
  • amandakiska
    Options
    I lost about 120 lbs. I have maintained my loss for four years and counting. I started at a size 22 and now wear a size 10. I did several big closet purges along the way, generally every two or three sizes. I figured that even if I did regain weight some day, styles would change and I wouldn't want to wear those old clothes again anyway.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    neogramps wrote: »
    I've just started to have to buy some new trousers having gone from a 38-40" waist to a 34" which felt great. But I've not thrown anything out yet; I might do a bulking phase later on this year, so might go up a bit and wouldn't want to have to buy anything for a short time.

Same here. I've lost 40 pounds and went from 34-36" to 31" pants. (Those 34" pants used to be very tight.) I want to lose another 7 or 9 pounds. And then I'll start bulking. Then cutting. Then bulking . . . .

I'd get rid of my old pants if I knew what size I was going to be.

• meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i've kept the stuff i really liked that could be taken in and i didn't cut out the extra material so i can just take out the stitching if i needed to make it big again. crap happens and i refuse to have to buy an entire new wardrobe again if i get bigger.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    I haven't
    tumblr_mpydqjxjrX1qcexz7o1_400.gif
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    as soon as they got too big, I wished I had of kept one pair jeans just to try on and enjoy how much weight I lost.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I finally got rid of my "big" clothes when I moved. I have a hard time letting go of stuff, if it's even a tiny bit big or in good condition. During the winter I've been going through my winter clothes and will get rid of anything not worn when it's time to switch my wardrobe over. Once spring/summer comes again I'll be more ruthless about getting rid of them. I keep a closet in the spare room for everything I decide to get rid of because it's getting too "big". If I end up going back and pulling something out for whatever reason, I figure there's a reason. But that's yet to happen.