Two people with large difference in caloric needs

Options
124»

Replies

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I was going to say something, but i see the OP came back and said EXACTLY what i was going to say. :D beat me to it.

I'd say it's probably not something you need to worry about if he's satisfied and doing well. If he starts feeling poorly, he'll most likely take it upon himself to eat more.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to get my hubby to log in and track his foods. He's doing the workouts, very important, but I can tell that he still is unaware of what he's eating, what quantities, and when. He just mindlessly heads to the fridge like a teenager. As sedentary office workers we can't get away with that, workouts notwithstanding. Mine is still overeating. His strength and stamina are improving well, but the "beer baby" hasn't budged. C'mon, man, you want results, you gotta go whole hog. Can't just do half the process and expect it to work. As for your hubby, if he gets hungry, he'll eat more. I wouldn't worry too much; I'm assuming his BMI is not dangerously low or anything?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    My spouse's TDEE comes to about 2466 - so about 1000 calories over my usual daily intake. I prepare most of his meals (including a breakfast shake) but he is basically "free range." He seems to go quite under this amount on several days, and there will be days when he is majorly over - by my estimate at least 50% of the time. But whatever he is doing, it seems to be working fine because his weight has been stable over the past several decades. Using non-diet items in meals you prepare is about all you can do. I would advise continuing to prepare good stuff and just keep quiet over what may be or may not be consumed. Sometimes the helpful monitoring and noted concerns, however respectful and loving, can work against the goal of healthful eating.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    jtompsn wrote: »
    So first off my question had to do with how to get more calories into a diet. Secondly I asked if you have to eat all your calories. At no point did I ask people to comment on my relationship. You have no idea what our circumstance is. Possibly he is disabled. Possibly he is an idiot. Possibly it is easier for me to make lunch while I am making dinner and since the barcode is in front of me it makes more sense to log as the lunch is made. Possibly while I am making lunch he is caring for his invalid mother who lives with us. You do not know and really shouldn't judge.

I didn't say he doesn't ever track. I said I track when I am making lunches. That is one meal in a 2400 calorie day. Two meals if I stick dinner in too. But still a 2400 calorie day. He still has breakfast. He still has snacks. He still has a lot of calories to eat and Little Debbie is more involved in that than I am.

As for 'sneaking' I meant adding it in. I did not mean I am going to start doing something ridiculous like adding cake batter to the meatloaf or something equally as outrageous.

I came here for support not judgement. Thank you to the people who offered me good suggestions.

this made me laugh. Best. Comeback. Ever. :p
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    MyiahRose wrote: »
    So please explain how he got fat in the first place if he doesn't eat?

Boom.

Or not. Usually when people say 'I can't' to adding a cookie to lunch, they're thinking it'll break their diet, not that they don't want it or are too full/can't eat it.

I believe OP wants to find extra calories that hubby will find acceptable.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't log, but he is both slimmer than I am and eats more. It's his business. He eats the same thing for breakfast and lunch everyday, then eats however much he wants of whatever I made for dinner, or if it's more of a catch as catch can kinda night, whatever he wants. He also often has a snack (cheerios or pretzels) around 9pm.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    jtompsn wrote: »
    So first off my question had to do with how to get more calories into a diet. Secondly I asked if you have to eat all your calories. At no point did I ask people to comment on my relationship. You have no idea what our circumstance is. Possibly he is disabled. Possibly he is an idiot. Possibly it is easier for me to make lunch while I am making dinner and since the barcode is in front of me it makes more sense to log as the lunch is made. Possibly while I am making lunch he is caring for his invalid mother who lives with us. You do not know and really shouldn't judge.

I didn't say he doesn't ever track. I said I track when I am making lunches. That is one meal in a 2400 calorie day. Two meals if I stick dinner in too. But still a 2400 calorie day. He still has breakfast. He still has snacks. He still has a lot of calories to eat and Little Debbie is more involved in that than I am.

As for 'sneaking' I meant adding it in. I did not mean I am going to start doing something ridiculous like adding cake batter to the meatloaf or something equally as outrageous.

I came here for support not judgement. Thank you to the people who offered me good suggestions.

Okay, since you are tracking for your husband, I am sending over a big loaf of my homemade power bread with lots of goodies. Put a 63 gram slice topped with peanut butter and you've added calories. :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    MyiahRose wrote: »
    So please explain how he got fat in the first place if he doesn't eat?

Boom.

Or not. Usually when people say 'I can't' to adding a cookie to lunch, they're thinking it'll break their diet, not that they don't want it or are too full/can't eat it.

I believe OP wants to find extra calories that hubby will find acceptable.
    Also, the reason you see it here every day- someone early on in their diet having trouble eating ENOUGH- is not because they're all liars. It's because when you shift your focus to your eating and your weight loss, and quit mindlessly eating all the time without regard to the consequences, you just DO get full faster. Not to mention you're also probably eating more fiber and protein, which also contribute to faster satiety.

But it just wouldn't be MFP if people didn't trot out the "then how'd you ever get fat" line.