Options
12345679»

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    High end anti-aging - including a variety steroids, hormones, EPO, office visits and whatnot - is generally around $1k/month.

(All legal.)

The fountain of youth is more costly than Ponce de Leon ever imagined and not nearly as effective...

... makes me feel a little better about my $20/quarter anti-wrinkle cream. TMI, but j/s ...
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    k20az wrote: »
    How am I cheating anyone? I train for myself, compete in no sports, not governed by any bodies. You cant say hey you're bigger than me you're cheating. Cheating what?
    I think they're assuming competitions. If you are claiming you are clean to compete against other people who are, it would be cheating. If you are using them because you want to be bigger and you just workout for you, eh, that's your business.

And I'm assuming (based on what they are), the side effects would be more severe in younger teens since they can inhibit development. Of course, you know what they say about assumptions...
    I think that it's subjective to a point. Tiger Woods got Lasik. Depth perception is a big factor in golf. So by getting Lasik, did he attain an unfair advantage over his peers? Had he just kept the eyesight he had, would he have attained the status as a pro as he has now?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I had LASIK done. It gave me normal eyesight. No different than glasses. Would glasses also be cheating?

I do believe it is still cheating in competition even if "everyone" is doing it so long as the rules are there against it and there is a possibility of being penalized .
    Okay so just a hypothetic. A receiver goes for a pass in the end zone. He totally beats the corner back and instead of giving up the winning touchdown, he grabs the receiver for a penalty. Obviously against the rules. The last play of the game ends up incomplete. Did the other team get cheated out of the win because of the penalty? Or was it great strategic play by the cornerback?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I have no idea. I know nothing of football.
    I am also aware that nothing is black and white. But I stand by my statement. As a general rule, as long as it is against the rules and people are subject to penalties for it it is cheating. Are there situations where lines are blurred. Yes. But for someone who is bending or breaking the rules to gain an advantage I consider it cheating.
    I assume that is what you are getting at.

To answer ninerbuff, the game doesn’t end on a defensive penalty. The offense will get one more attempt. And yes, there are many games where rules can be broken and give you a competitive advantage. They do it in basketball in almost every game, the losing ten fouling to get the ball back with time on the clock. It has been accepted as strategy.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    This is all so helpful - thank you. Interesting role that the youtube vids, etc., are playing - my middle child (16) is working hard and very focused on weightlifting at the moment. We're very open with one another, and I am simply trying to be proactive. But it's not like he's face to face with a trainer (who I know) in our local gym ... he's listening to - whoever - on youtube. It makes me a little nervous - he's a full-steam-ahead (workout in the garage before school) kid, and he's seeing results quickly. I'm proud of him - not suspicious. Just cautious. I appreciate your comments.

A teenage boy is super juiced on natural steroids, so it would be more of a concern if he wouldn't be seeing results from working hard.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    sorry if it is already mentioned - too lazy to read all 6 pages so read page 1; but regarding steroid use being a taboo subject for BB - it is this way since it is the equivalent of saying a broker is giving out company information to special clients - they are simply shooting themselves in the foot; in the bodybuilding and fitness industry, the game at the end of the day is to earn money, by spilling the secrets to steroid use means cannibalizing supplementation companies who push out weight loss supplements etc when the real drug that has visual effects would be 10x more prominent using steroids - so what does this mean? The athletes would not get sponsored since they are telling everyone that the company's supplements do not actually work - now if anabolic steroids were legally available worldwide, the taboo subject would immediately take a massive turn and then those who do use steroids would speak out.

Youtube Bostin Loyd if you are interested and look at the comments on Youtube, he is technically the first younger generation to speak out on his cycle and transformation followed by his actual steroid stack when he is on the juice - you will see many people commenting on the respect to him for speaking out among the other BBs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    How am I cheating anyone? I train for myself, compete in no sports, not governed by any bodies. You cant say hey you're bigger than me you're cheating. Cheating what?
    I think they're assuming competitions. If you are claiming you are clean to compete against other people who are, it would be cheating. If you are using them because you want to be bigger and you just workout for you, eh, that's your business.

And I'm assuming (based on what they are), the side effects would be more severe in younger teens since they can inhibit development. Of course, you know what they say about assumptions...
    I think that it's subjective to a point. Tiger Woods got Lasik. Depth perception is a big factor in golf. So by getting Lasik, did he attain an unfair advantage over his peers? Had he just kept the eyesight he had, would he have attained the status as a pro as he has now?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I had LASIK done. It gave me normal eyesight. No different than glasses. Would glasses also be cheating?

I do believe it is still cheating in competition even if "everyone" is doing it so long as the rules are there against it and there is a possibility of being penalized .
    Okay so just a hypothetic. A receiver goes for a pass in the end zone. He totally beats the corner back and instead of giving up the winning touchdown, he grabs the receiver for a penalty. Obviously against the rules. The last play of the game ends up incomplete. Did the other team get cheated out of the win because of the penalty? Or was it great strategic play by the cornerback?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I am also aware that nothing is black and white. But I stand by my statement. As a general rule, as long as it is against the rules and people are subject to penalties for it it is cheating. Are there situations where lines are blurred. Yes. But for someone who is bending or breaking the rules to gain an advantage I consider it cheating.

To answer ninerbuff, the game doesn’t end on a defensive penalty. The offense will get one more attempt. And yes, there are many games where rules can be broken and give you a competitive advantage. They do it in basketball in almost every game, the losing ten fouling to get the ball back with time on the clock. It has been accepted as strategy.
    Exactly. So breaking of the rules doesn't always mean cheating.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Exactly. So breaking of the rules doesn't always mean cheating.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Ugh, congrats. I'm fairly certain I conceded the point there are grey areas days ago.
    Does anyone get penalized for it like the do with doping?
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Steriods are obviously a ped and guaruntee 70% of nfl, nhl, mlb etc are on some sort of steroids. It's not right to be using any type of ped in a major sport because it's not fair to the athetes who don't use them, especially in baseball or cycling. If you want to be a young punk on steroids and slowly kill yourself over time, that's your choice. But own up to it. I've talked to and seen so many guys on steriods and they lie about it and say they're all natural. If your going to be on them, don't b.s about it. Cycling steriods isn't as bad as always being on them, but over all their nothing but a health risk and will shorten your life span. Case in point, look at all the pro wrestlers over the last 5-10 years dying of heart attacks from years of steroid abuse. Very sad but I guess you live your life the way you want to. It's no different from trying to tell a smoker after years of smoking to quit.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    The risks of prolonged steroid use currently outweigh the benefits; however as science progresses I can easily see the day when this becomes both safe and effective. Aesthetics often drives research as people are willing to spend anything to make themselves look better, so whatever funding I get to spend researching life saving products are often funded by a product that is used (typically off-label) for some aesthetic procedure.

The duality in culture the height of stupidity and don't understand why using performance enhancers is acceptable in certain activities, but not in others.

Biking = bad
    Baseball = bad
    Wrestling = accepted
    Academics = accepted
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    I think this legal stuff, it s a natural things, that have an anabolic effects http://www.workoutsandiets.com/crazybulk-legal-steroids-review/
    Muscle-Tech works better, ha, point is, just another advertisement to take your money.

My experience, i did use when i was about 18. I was still fat though. I just got "bigger" my strength went up big time. I remember I was lifting 65lbs dumbells for bench, went up to 105 within a month. I remember the first time i took some, i took another dosage a few hours later. My nose started to bleed. THrough the months, I didn't get the results i was expecting so i did my cycle longer, then my kidneys started to hurt.

You also need to take other stuff to counteract the side effects of steroids. Honestly for me they awhere a pain to use. THere is no doubt in my mind that high level athletes use. They have to. Lance Armstrong got busted, but i am sure through any sport the top guys use.

The real question is, "Why does someone want to use in the first place if they're not competing?" Obviously they want to build more muscle? Going deeper in to all this, ask why? Many do it for aesthetics, some want to "impress the ladies" other guys do it to be stronger. Who are you competing with yourself if you're not competing in actual sport? No one but yourself, you don't need anything for that.

The aesthetic issue, I was reading this book, it was buy that guy who works with brad pilon (forgot his name). He talked about his usage, and said he just wanted to get bigger, he did get bigger, but it wasn't enough, so he would keep on using, it's a vicious cycle. It's like it's never enough. He goes on about how we're chasing the wrong thing. Aesthetic is proportionality, symmetry. There are a ton of guys who are "muscular" but don't have that. Frankly they look like crap. They think the solution is to get bigger, but it's not. In his book he talks about the gold ratio, for the math people it's called the Fibonacci sequence. This ratio is found in nature, the most beatiful structures/(art work have this ratio), Michelangelo's David, the taj mahal has this ratio. This ratio can be found in tree,s the universe, pineapples, shell fish, even in our DNA.

If your goal is to look better, you can apply this ratio to your body to have that symmetry and aesthetics. If someone is over weight, i read this good article the other day on why you should cut first before bulking. In summary it says, you don't know what you really have under the fat, you might have everything you want. WHen you lean up you look bigger. I still have some body fat on me, a decent amount. Just yesterday people asked how much i weighed, i told them to guess, i got numbers like 200, 225, things like that. I am like "you're crazy I am 260" So in summary, i don't see a point of it for recreational use.

Very interesting. Cheers mate.
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    what's a younger athlete? I didn't see them at all in high school, didn't play any college sports. Maybe I'm warped but most steroid users I know are middle aged men
  • ForStMicheal
    Options
    What's sad in the USA is that congress illegalized them due to "athlete" use, to set and example for our youth and promised any pro using them would suffer by being imprisoned. I still haven't seen one prominent athlete who was busted using them going to jail. Who did go to jail? The average gym goer who used them to better themselves.
    As I mentioned, they obviously work and the average person using them will likely not even use the dosages or stacks that professional body builders use.
    My personal feeling on them is that even though I could use them, I'd fear that I'd never get off them once I start. I still am in contact with many of the guys I used to work out with back in the day and many of them who used are still using.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

so sounds like they've been using them 20 - 30 years, any reported side effects/draw backs?
  • ForStMicheal
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    If I were a young athlete, one of my reasons for not using might be that eventually I'll be elite enough to be regulated/tested/caught/penalized for using it. Not the best reason to avoid using steroids, of course, but certainly something to consider ...

what is it about current events and history that would make you fear being penalized for using it as an elite athlete?
  • ForStMicheal
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    In RE to your average Joe/Jane gym rat...fitness junkie type of person I would say that steroid use is for the most part non-existent...I'm sure there are some people that do it, but I would say the vast majority of fitness junkies are simply into fitness for the sake of health and fitness and the benefits of using would not be worth the costs...

It is a different story altogether when you're talking about athletes...and unfortunately some young aspiring athletes trying to break into the professional level of whatever their sport is. It seems that many of them will do just about anything to gain an edge...not to mention the benefits to recovery when you're putting in the kind of training volume those guys put in to even consider the possibility of going pro.

In that RE, I'm not talking about the high school football player or whatever...I don't know if it's an issue at that level...I'm talking about guys that are basically on the cusp of either going pro or hanging it up and discarding their dreams.

I disagree. it might be a relatively small percentage, but I think there's substantial subset of 'average' gym goes that do or have used PED
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Steroids don't have as bad as negative side-effects as most think, especially if used intelligently. Watch the documentary, "Bigger Faster Stronger" as it has some good insight.