Low carb dieters!

Options

Replies

• xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Most low carb diets include different phases where you re-introduce the carbs by small increments, so therefore they do teach eating in moderation. I also know of people that were able to maintain this lifestyle as well. In my experiemce, this has helped me with my cravings and it also made me realize all the carbs I was shoving down my throat constantly. I have started with the induction phase of Atkins when you eat 20g of net carbs a day. I ate really well. A day for me was 2 eggs and 3 slices of bacon with a salad or sautéed veggies in coconut oil. Then for lunch I would eat some meatballs and cheese. For dinner some protein (steak, salmon, chicken) and a salad of spinach with olive oil and vinegar or sautéed veggies again. The diet made me focus on healthy fats and lots of protein, which I was lacking of big time before, as I always ate junk food such as pastries, chocolate, chips and everything else. Now I eat anywhere from 80-150g of carbs a day, I eat pastas, rice, bread and all those good foods, but I far from eat as much of them as I used to. The point is it pushed me out of my comfort zone, and it made me try new things.

I lost 10lbs in the first week (I do know most of it was water weight). I never gained the weight back. I lost 1-2lbs a week consistently from there. I maintained my calories at 1200-1300cals the whole time since then. I also understand that then again, I lost the weight because of the calorie deficit I maintained, but cutting carbs for me was a great tool to help me reduce my calories (eating lots of protein and fats, and so much more vitamins then usual) made me feel full like I hadn't in a long time. It made me love eating again. And most of all, it teached me a lot on portion control once I re-introduced carbs. I was shocked at how much calories and carbs there is in pastas and rice, so now I eat them sensibly. I don't feel sick to my stomach anymore too.

Anyway... This is to say that it's okay to remind new comers that low carb is only potentially a useful tool to re-construct healthy eating habits and learning to maintain a calorie deficit, but there is no need to bash all of them, like I was bashed when I started out too. We have the right to be on the main forums like everybody else, there is no reason to ''shove them all up'' in the low-carbers forum all the time. Personally, I think there is more interaction happening in the main forums then in any group (but that's just my personal opinion).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    IzzyEsco wrote: »
    Can someone please give me back the 30 minutes I wasted reading this *kitten* of a thread?? Thanks for nothing.

S25EO.gif

if one thing is more irritating than moronic gifs, it's people that can't even post a moronic gif properly.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    40 lbs in 1 month? ^^^^ How many calories are you eating daily?

the guy who ate nothing for a year couldn't even manage that loss rate.
  • xmarye
    Options
    Omg I've read some of the posts... and this went downhill. I had not read about the 40lbs in a month loss while fasting low carb... Anyway. To each their own...
  • compgeek812
    compgeek812 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    xmarye wrote: »
    And most of all, it teached me a lot on portion control once I re-introduced carbs. I was shocked at how much calories and carbs there is in pastas and rice, so now I eat them sensibly. I don't feel sick to my stomach anymore too.
    This, in my opinion, is the biggest benefit to someone trying out a low-carb lifestyle. Many people who seem to have trouble losing weight have a hard time portioning food and/or logging it correctly. With low-carb, a lot of calorie dense food is avoided so people can pack their stomach full of broccoli and spinach and 'feel' full, without consuming 3k calories.
  • cherylmlane
    cherylmlane Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Not at all.. i just know my results. And there are multiple studies, diets, and doctors who agree low carb diets can be more effective than low calorie diets. I could maintain my carb count and increase my calorie count.. and continue to lose weight at the level i have been. If you do some research you will find that the clean eating diets, while not marketed as low carb.. boast a MUCH lower carb count than a basic low calorie diet. It comes down to the foods you choose. Most carbs are bad for your body. Yes you need some carbs. This is known. And in response to "hard to maintain" i disagree... not any harder than a low calorie dieter who wants icecream. There is a vast array of foods you can eat and on a maintenance low carb diet you can still consume many regular foods. Ps every diet sheds water weight at first.

Hi jennibean40, you are doing the same I am with my diet. I see a lot of criticism above which I feel isn't fair as this is a forum to chat about our challenges, success stories, share good/bad experiences and jennibean40 is doing just that.

As you can tell from her original post, she stated she is "interested in ideas, recipes and success stories" not for others to post negative comments. That's my take on it, and jennibean40, please add me as a friend to discuss further outside this forum.

And in response to low calorie, low carb questions: Just because you are following a low carb diet does NOT necessarily mean you are following a low calorie diet. You could eat as much healthy fats possible, which would be high in calories but still low in carbs. Hope that helps clarify for some.

Yesterday my breakfast was low carb, high fat and I've been doing this for a couple months and losing over a pound a week without exercise (I have a back injury). I think my breakfast was about 800 calories today which is pretty normal on this "diet" which is a term I use loosely. It's a lifestyle more so than a diet.

If anyone in interested in learning more, there is a lot of literature and documentries on this type of healthy eating, one film in particular is called "Carb-Loaded" which I found quite interesting.

Cheers.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    xmarye wrote: »
    Most low carb diets include different phases where you re-introduce the carbs by small increments, so therefore they do teach eating in moderation. I also know of people that were able to maintain this lifestyle as well. In my experiemce, this has helped me with my cravings and it also made me realize all the carbs I was shoving down my throat constantly. I have started with the induction phase of Atkins when you eat 20g of net carbs a day. I ate really well. A day for me was 2 eggs and 3 slices of bacon with a salad or sautéed veggies in coconut oil. Then for lunch I would eat some meatballs and cheese. For dinner some protein (steak, salmon, chicken) and a salad of spinach with olive oil and vinegar or sautéed veggies again. The diet made me focus on healthy fats and lots of protein, which I was lacking of big time before, as I always ate junk food such as pastries, chocolate, chips and everything else. Now I eat anywhere from 80-150g of carbs a day, I eat pastas, rice, bread and all those good foods, but I far from eat as much of them as I used to. The point is it pushed me out of my comfort zone, and it made me try new things.

I lost 10lbs in the first week (I do know most of it was water weight). I never gained the weight back. I lost 1-2lbs a week consistently from there. I maintained my calories at 1200-1300cals the whole time since then. I also understand that then again, I lost the weight because of the calorie deficit I maintained, but cutting carbs for me was a great tool to help me reduce my calories (eating lots of protein and fats, and so much more vitamins then usual) made me feel full like I hadn't in a long time. It made me love eating again. And most of all, it teached me a lot on portion control once I re-introduced carbs. I was shocked at how much calories and carbs there is in pastas and rice, so now I eat them sensibly. I don't feel sick to my stomach anymore too.

Anyway... This is to say that it's okay to remind new comers that low carb is only potentially a useful tool to re-construct healthy eating habits and learning to maintain a calorie deficit, but there is no need to bash all of them, like I was bashed when I started out too. We have the right to be on the main forums like everybody else, there is no reason to ''shove them all up'' in the low-carbers forum all the time. Personally, I think there is more interaction happening in the main forums then in any group (but that's just my personal opinion).

did you read the whole thread?

the only reason OP was challenged was because she made blatantly wrong statements about CICO, low carb being "better", and her ONLY losing because of low carb and not calorie restriction …

• ndj1979
    Options
    Not at all.. i just know my results. And there are multiple studies, diets, and doctors who agree low carb diets can be more effective than low calorie diets. I could maintain my carb count and increase my calorie count.. and continue to lose weight at the level i have been. If you do some research you will find that the clean eating diets, while not marketed as low carb.. boast a MUCH lower carb count than a basic low calorie diet. It comes down to the foods you choose. Most carbs are bad for your body. Yes you need some carbs. This is known. And in response to "hard to maintain" i disagree... not any harder than a low calorie dieter who wants icecream. There is a vast array of foods you can eat and on a maintenance low carb diet you can still consume many regular foods. Ps every diet sheds water weight at first.

Hi jennibeam40, you are doing the same I am with my diet. I see a lot of criticism above which I feel isn't fair as this is a forum to chat about our challenges, success stories, share good/bad experiences and jennibean40 is doing just that.

As you can tell from her original post, she stated she is "interested in ideas, recipes and success stories" not for others to post negative comments. That's my take on it, and jennibean40, please add me as a friend to discuss further outside this forum.

And in response to low calorie, low carb questions; just because you are following a low carb diet does NOT necessarily mean you are doing a low calorie diet. You could eat as much healthy fats possible, which would be high in calories from still low carb. Hope that Helios clarify.

Yesterday my breakfast was low carb, high fat and I've been doing this for a couple months a losing over a pound a week without exercise (I have a back injury). I think my breakfast was about 800 calories.

If anyone in interested in learning more, there is a lot of literature and documentries on this type of healthy eating, one film in particular is called "Carb-Loaded" which I found quite interesting.

Cheers.

Really? are we back to that nonsense? If you are eating low carb then you are eating low calorie..

unless you are claiming that you can eat low carb, be in a surplus, and lose weight???

it would be nice if one of the low carbers in this forum would correct this nonsense….
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Hi jennibean40, you are doing the same I am with my diet. I see a lot of criticism above which I feel isn't fair as this is a forum to chat about our challenges, success stories, share good/bad experiences and jennibean40 is doing just that.

And in response to low calorie, low carb questions: Just because you are following a low carb diet does NOT necessarily mean you are following a low calorie diet. You could eat as much healthy fats possible, which would be high in calories but still low in carbs. Hope that helps clarify for some.

Yesterday my breakfast was low carb, high fat and I've been doing this for a couple months and losing over a pound a week without exercise (I have a back injury). I think my breakfast was about 800 calories today which is pretty normal on this "diet" which is a term I use loosely. It's a lifestyle more so than a diet.

Cheers.

Ahh documentary 'science', strong knowledge, strong everything
  • ndj1979
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Cheers.

Ahh documentary 'science', strong knowledge, strong everything

yea, I am sure that is a real 'fair and balanced" viewpoint…*sarcasm*
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Hi jennibeam40, you are doing the same I am with my diet. I see a lot of criticism above which I feel isn't fair as this is a forum to chat about our challenges, success stories, share good/bad experiences and jennibean40 is doing just that.

And in response to low calorie, low carb questions; just because you are following a low carb diet does NOT necessarily mean you are doing a low calorie diet. You could eat as much healthy fats possible, which would be high in calories from still low carb. Hope that Helios clarify.

Yesterday my breakfast was low carb, high fat and I've been doing this for a couple months a losing over a pound a week without exercise (I have a back injury). I think my breakfast was about 800 calories.

Cheers.

Really? are we back to that nonsense? If you are eating low carb then you are eating low calorie..

unless you are claiming that you can eat low carb, be in a surplus, and lose weight???

it would be nice if one of the low carbers in this forum would correct this nonsense….

I think she is. That wouldn't be the first time someone claims that to be true.

maybe that other poster will come back and reject this nonsense….

• xmarye
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    did you read the whole thread?

the only reason OP was challenged was because she made blatantly wrong statements about CICO, low carb being "better", and her ONLY losing because of low carb and not calorie restriction …

I saw it after indeed.
  • millfrn
    millfrn Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey!

I've been a follower of LCHF cycling on and off for around a year. I find it a super easy way to lose any weight I gain on holidays etc.

I don't go crazy with it fat wise but nothing makes me lose weight quite like it. Even though I'm a normal weight! Happy to offer you some advice if you would like.
  • jimbunzol
    jimbunzol Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have joined idea what you're trying to say. Why not just say how many calories you ate?

I was writing from my phone and it showed net calories so that's what I wrote. I don't eat the same amount everyday. It might be under 1000 one day and over 2000 the next. Like someone mentioned, what is the accuracy though? I go off the labels as best I can because I don't use a scale, but I depend on MFP for a lot of what I eat.

For those that don't believe, it doesn't matter to me. Those around me have seen the changes and are amazed at the results so far. I still can't get over the fact that I went from a size 44 to 38 and XXL to L. I'm as shocked as anyone else, but I feel like I'm being given a second chance to improve my life so I better make the best of it.
  • jimbunzol
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Assuming those calorie counts are 100% accurate...that works out to about 3 lbs of fat loss. Where did the other 36 go?

I can't answer that for you. I don't even know how you came up with 3 lbs. I didn't lose a limb like some guy joked, but when a person is over 100 lbs overweight, it's not that hard to lose a lot quickly. It's not big news as I've seen ppl lose more on shows like Biggest Loser.

The hard part is when you get closer to your ideal weight and progress gets much slower. I still have 54 lbs to get to my goal weight (185). I'm just hoping for another 20 lbs this month before I run my first race. I have 3 weeks to go and I'll be really lucky if I can pull it off.

• jimbunzol
    Options
    Here's the last 10 days. TDEE would be 2362 cal/day from IIFYM calculator.

2/27 - 302
    2/28 - 1402
    3/1 - 1948
    3/2 - 0
    3/3 - 1231
    3/4 - 638
    3/5 - 2001
    3/6 - 1320
    3/8 - 2080

What are you trying to figure out?
  • compgeek812
    compgeek812 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @jimbunzol‌ He is trying to figure out your overall calorie restriction so he is asking for your TDEE and how many calories you consumed per day. So unless you fasted all day on 3/2 I think you are still posting calories left over.