Low carb dieters!

Options

Replies

• alealessia_13
    Options
    I tryed on low carb as well and it helped me lose some weight.but thouth I did replace them with more proteins as I was hungry as hell not eating enough carbs.
    Now I'm still carrying on with that kind of diet and it feels so good!

• jimbunzol
    jimbunzol Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @jimbunzol‌ He is trying to figure out your overall calorie restriction so he is asking for your TDEE and how many calories you consumed per day. So unless you fasted all day on 3/2 I think you are still posting calories left over.

Yea, I fasted that day. Thanks for excited explaining. I don't really know about calorie restriction so I'll have to read up on that. I'm assuming there's a calculation of estimated weight loss based on this. I just go off of what MFP says when I complete my daily entry.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    jimbunzol wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Assuming those calorie counts are 100% accurate...that works out to about 3 lbs of fat loss. Where did the other 36 go?

I can't answer that for you. I don't even know how you came up with 3 lbs. I didn't lose a limb like some guy joked, but when a person is over 100 lbs overweight, it's not that hard to lose a lot quickly. It's not big news as I've seen ppl lose more on shows like Biggest Loser.

The hard part is when you get closer to your ideal weight and progress gets much slower. I still have 54 lbs to get to my goal weight (185). I'm just hoping for another 20 lbs this month before I run my first race. I have 3 weeks to go and I'll be really lucky if I can pull it off.

Thing is, to lose 40 pounds in 4 weeks you'd have to lose 10 pounds per week which is a 35000 calorie deficit which you shouldn't have had. So, according to the deficit numbers you posted, you'd have lost something like 3-4 pounds.
    Which means you probably lost a ton of water weight in the process.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can't even get my head around losing 40lbs in 4 weeks!
  • jimbunzol
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Hmmm so let me see if I understand this correctly, you're a 40 year old male that weighed almost 280 lbs that eats 302 calories one day, then fasted a whole day 3 days later then not even 1300 the next and the left than 700. Well I guess you must definitely be doing this whole weight loss stuff in a very healthy way.

Hopefully no one sees your post and think for 1 minute that your plan is a good idea.

You asked to see what my last 10 days were like and I gave them to you. I was traveling both of those days so I didn't really get to eat and the second day I was sticking to my weekly 24 hour fast.

The biggest loss I had was the first week which was actually 25 lbs. Since then it has been a healthier loss of 3-4 lbs/week.

I'm sure the first week had to do with the fact that it was a lot of water weight and I was working out really hard. The next two weeks were really tough for me because I was tired 24/7 since my body wasn't getting the fuel it was used to. I didn't workout much and had to curb the running because my blood sugar was dipping into the 60's. Once my body got used to low carb and was no longer running primarily off glucose for fuel the energy picked up and has been non-stop since. My blood sugar leveled out in the 70's and I felt great.

P.S. I should add, in case anyone missed my post on calories over the 4 weeks, I started with a 3 day fast drinking only water so that also led to such a large drop in weight.
  • jimbunzol
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Regardless of what reasoning you think you have for it, it's not healthy.

While I won't disagree with you about my eating habits last week, I normally eat pretty healthy for my diet. I didn't have the control I would have liked while away on business where other people are in charge of the food. With my carb restrictions and my allergy to tomatoes, I had to pick and choose what to eat and it was more important to me to not increase my carbs or die of anaphylaxis rather than reduce my caloric intake.

Now if I were to make recommendations from my normal meals, it would be meat or fish and veggies. I like to have a 6 oz steak (not too lean) and 1/2 package of my favorite broccoli and cauliflower mix, but for my diet I add a lot of butter to both my steak and veggies. Otherwise if I don't eat meat, I get fish like tilapia or chilean sea bass.

I switched to broccoli and cauliflower over salad because I wasn't getting enough calories from the salad and I didn't want to watch my dressing portion all the time. Both are equally healthy in my book.

One other thing I found in my adventures in cooking is that mushrooms have helped keep my blood sugar lower. I'm not sure why exactly, but it works every time. They are a great topping for steak and I load a full 8 oz on top sauteed in garlic butter. Probably my favorite meal.

If I do eat breakfast, which is very rarely, I like to cook eggs with a little cheese and mushroom or I make a crustless cheese and pepperoni pizza. The latter tides me over til dinner actually so I've only done it twice.

I always have to watch how food affects me due to my blood sugar and so far I've found some winner combinations. My advice to others is to see what works for your body and don't follow what other people do. You're not them and they're not you so what works for them may not work for you.

If you do wonder about what I am trying to achieve, there is a whole community out there that seems to be having some kind of success. There is more than enough free information out there so don't go buying anything you think is a magic pill or a book with all the answers. I read a lot of studies like this one at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17447017 as well as joined the keto community on reddit at http://www.reddit.com/r/keto to learn how others are affected and what to expect on a ketogenic diet.

If you want some easy to read material, there is a site (I am not endorsing to pay for anything) at http://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/ and you can see a lot of the different foods you can eat on the diet at http://josepharcita.blogspot.com/2011/03/guide-to-ketosis.html#33MM.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dont be arrogant. I have tried restricted calorie diets... and at most lost 2-3 lbs. Different diets work better for different people.. this one has worked for me

Don't be naive. All bodies work the same, if you burn more than you take in than you'll lose weight. Your body isn't some special magic flower that is physiologically different than anyone else. Cutting carbs *IS* cutting calories, anytime you restrict a certain macro group you cut calories.

Somehow you've read something or heard somewhere that said cutting carbs is the big secret and you said, "Oh boy! It wasn't MY fault I couldn't lose weight... it was those darn evil carbs!!!"

People here are telling you there is no big special secret and your body isn't special. You don't *NEED* to cut anything out of your diet to lose weight. If you tried a restricted calorie diet (btw, still the same thing as low carb. you're still restricting calories) and didn't lose the weight it wasn't because you ate carbs... it was because you didn't burn more than you ate.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I eat very low carb (~5% carb on average), maintain a calorie deficit, and find it to be very beneficial. I've lost 30lbs since the beginning of October..about 5lbs before using MFP..and 25 with MFP.

My diary is open if you would like ideas. I went on a road trip Thursday and Friday..so those days weren't the best.

Calorie deficit for weight-loss. Low carb for satiety and medical reasons (reactive hypoglycemia).
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Its totally necessary for a healthy lifestyle though. @ndj1979‌

Is that so? What's clean really mean anyway?
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    No weight doesnt magically disappear obviously. Dont be arrogant. I have tried restricted calorie diets... and at most lost 2-3 lbs. Different diets work better for different people.. this one has worked for me

You're on a restrictive diet now. Ketogenic and low calorie... buckle up cause you're gonna hit a wall pretty soon...

Just curious..what wall?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    No weight doesnt magically disappear obviously. Dont be arrogant. I have tried restricted calorie diets... and at most lost 2-3 lbs. Different diets work better for different people.. this one has worked for me

You're on a restrictive diet now. Ketogenic and low calorie... buckle up cause you're gonna hit a wall pretty soon...

Just curious..what wall?

Low calorie + low carb in my experience = crash. The body needs nutrients and doing both at the same time deprives it...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I eat very low carb (~5% carb on average), maintain a calorie deficit, and find it to be very beneficial. I've lost 30lbs since the beginning of October..about 5lbs before using MFP..and 25 with MFP.

My diary is open if you would like ideas. I went on a road trip Thursday and Friday..so those days weren't the best.

Calorie deficit for weight-loss. Low carb for satiety and medical reasons (reactive hypoglycemia).

thank you …

again, no issue here with low carb…It just makes my head explode when people say low carb is not restricting calories…

• blktngldhrt
    Options

Just curious..what wall?

Low calorie + low carb in my experience = crash. The body needs nutrients and doing both at the same time deprives it...

When would the crash occur? Personally, I have more energy on low carb low calorie (high fat) than I ever did with moderate to high carbs. It's been five months now.

However, I do have reactive hypoglycemia..so carbs cause me to crash multiple times a day if I eat above a certain amount.

If one adjusts intake as weight is lost, according to realistic goals, there shouldn't be a crash.
  • jessietrumble
    jessietrumble Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ultimately going low carb helps you cut the garbage out of your diet. I have found this is the way that I personally lose. If you are serious about low carb and read the information that is out there...there is some science supporting it. Not only have I went full fledge Atkins and was successful, I followed a diabetic type diet splitting my total carb intake across my three meals and have been just as successful. The thing to remember is slow and steady wins the race. The modifications that you are making have to be sustainable for a lifetime or you get stuck in the crazy yo-yo weight fluctuations.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Ultimately going low carb helps you cut the garbage out of your diet. I have found this is the way that I personally lose. If you are serious about low carb and read the information that is out there...there is some science supporting it. Not only have I went full fledge Atkins and was successful, I followed a diabetic type diet splitting my total carb intake across my three meals and have been just as successful. The thing to remember is slow and steady wins the race. The modifications that you are making have to be sustainable for a lifetime or you get stuck in the crazy yo-yo weight fluctuations.

so everyone not eating low carb is eating "garbage"…really?

how do you define "garbage"..?
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

thank you …

again, no issue here with low carb…It just makes my head explode when people say low carb is not restricting calories…

You're welcome.

Ignorance can be maddening.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

Who eats garbage?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Just curious..what wall?

When would the crash occur? Personally, I have more energy on low carb low calorie (high fat) than I ever did with moderate to high carbs. It's been five months now.

However, I do have reactive hypoglycemia..so carbs cause me to crash multiple times a day if I eat above a certain amount.

If one adjusts intake as weight is lost, according to realistic goals, there shouldn't be a crash.

I am not talking about low carb to create an adequate deficit. I am talking about low carb + low calorie. Looking back on the statement now I think it is just low calories in general. I can see how I got that crossed up... apologies.