Low carb dieters!

Options

Replies

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    By the same token you could say that nearly all weight loss diets involve carbohydrate restriction, otherwise you are not portraying a true picture.
    This is a good point, but not always valid, think about vegans who follow an 80/10/10...

• Heamous
    Heamous Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You could check into the Paleo diet. Read a book about it or Google it. If you want low carbs and healthy, definitely this will be the way to go.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I might be getting my quacks mixed up, but doesn't Taubes suggest that cico doesn't work and that it's sugar that makes people fat?

No, that would be Lustig who is the fructophobe.

A better approximation to what Taubes thinks might be that dietary carbohydrates increase insulin and hence lead to increased fat storage / reduced fat loss.

This was my issue. Even with a calorie deficit I could not lose weight. But..I produce way too much insulin..
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Drop pounds yes, but not necessarily fat

If we're going to talk science and chemistry, you drop fat while depriving your body of carbohydrates.

534.jpg

Your gifs are my favorites.

If we're going to talk science and chemistry, you drop fat while depriving your body of carbohydrates.

There are other ways to drop fat.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    And this was old school paleo, which was low carb.
    I would say that the "old school" (Eaton, Konner, Cordain) advocates moderate carbs. Which book were you following, mamapeach?

I don't remember the name of the author. Maybe Cordain? I remember the cover illustration, it had a sketch of a prehistoric man on it. I think the reason that for me it was effectively low carb might have been due to food preferences. I should have phrased my sentence better.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I might be getting my quacks mixed up, but doesn't Taubes suggest that cico doesn't work and that it's sugar that makes people fat?

No, that would be Lustig who is the fructophobe.

A better approximation to what Taubes thinks might be that dietary carbohydrates increase insulin and hence lead to increased fat storage / reduced fat loss.

This was my issue. Even with a calorie deficit I could not lose weight. But..I produce way too much insulin..
    ndj1979 wrote: »

534.jpg

Your gifs are my favorites.

There are other ways to drop fat.

i learned from the best :)
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I should have phrased my sentence better.

Ah, no worries, I was just curious.
    Anyway, too many people seem to think that paleo=low carb.
    It is not so, actually the paleo diet that has the academic background is moderate in macros (in my opinion everybody -whatever is the diet they follow- should find out the macros that work better for them).

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Seriously?
  • AmyJoShanks
    AmyJoShanks Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    As a pescaterian low-carber, I find it's tough to come up with new and exciting ways to prepare veggies and fish/seafood; however, Paleo Grubs has a great website and some amazing meal ideas :smile:
    One thing that worked well for me was reducing my fruit intake - almond milk in smoothies VS oj, snap peas for a snack instead of a banana or apple, etc.
  • jennibean40
    jennibean40 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This thread has turned into the great "black&blue/white&gold" debate.
  • jennibean40
    Options
    Yeah if you can find where i said that you can quote me.
    Unfortunately, what i ACTUALLY said was i struggled to lose weight on a low calorie diet alone (NOT that i didnt. I said i lost 2-3lbs). And that low carb has improved my results substantially. I also stated that my calories are indeed still low... not bc i bother to try and keep them low, but bc consuming low carb foods results in lower calories. Since my last post on here i have increased my calories by 200 a day and am still experiencing weight loss.
    All i ever said was that low carb has made a big difference in MY (me myself i) results. I do not claim it is superior. I do not claim it is for everyone. I believe different types of diets work for different people... hence why even learned scientists still cant agree on every point. To each their own! Happy fitness travels!
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    According to my research ketosis (the state the body enters during low carb diets) burns almost solely body fat... and since i dont restrict calories i still maintain normal energy and function levels. Have you had different experiences?
    Not at all.. i just know my results. And there are multiple studies, diets, and doctors who agree low carb diets can be more effective than low calorie diets. I could maintain my carb count and increase my calorie count.. and continue to lose weight at the level i have been. If you do some research you will find that the clean eating diets, while not marketed as low carb.. boast a MUCH lower carb count than a basic low calorie diet. It comes down to the foods you choose. Most carbs are bad for your body. Yes you need some carbs. This is known. And in response to "hard to maintain" i disagree... not any harder than a low calorie dieter who wants icecream. There is a vast array of foods you can eat and on a maintenance low carb diet you can still consume many regular foods. Ps every diet sheds water weight at first.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Yeah if you can find where i said that you can quote me.
    Unfortunately, what i ACTUALLY said was i struggled to lose weight on a low calorie diet alone (NOT that i didnt. I said i lost 2-3lbs). And that low carb has improved my results substantially. I also stated that my calories are indeed still low... not bc i bother to try and keep them low, but bc consuming low carb foods results in lower calories. Since my last post on here i have increased my calories by 200 a day and am still experiencing weight loss.
    All i ever said was that low carb has made a big difference in MY (me myself i) results. I do not claim it is superior. I do not claim it is for everyone. I believe different types of diets work for different people... hence why even learned scientists still cant agree on every point. To each their own! Happy fitness travels!

Actually you said this...

"According to my research ketosis (the state the body enters during low carb diets) burns almost solely body fat... and since i dont restrict calories i still maintain normal energy and function levels."

Hmmm...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    According to my research ketosis (the state the body enters during low carb diets) burns almost solely body fat... and since i dont restrict calories i still maintain normal energy and function levels. Have you had different experiences?
    Not at all.. i just know my results. And there are multiple studies, diets, and doctors who agree low carb diets can be more effective than low calorie diets. I could maintain my carb count and increase my calorie count.. and continue to lose weight at the level i have been. If you do some research you will find that the clean eating diets, while not marketed as low carb.. boast a MUCH lower carb count than a basic low calorie diet. It comes down to the foods you choose. Most carbs are bad for your body. Yes you need some carbs. This is known. And in response to "hard to maintain" i disagree... not any harder than a low calorie dieter who wants icecream. There is a vast array of foods you can eat and on a maintenance low carb diet you can still consume many regular foods. Ps every diet sheds water weight at first.

^ right there..you said it..now own it
  • jennibean40
    Options
    Ok... thats me saying i can increase my calorie and still lose weight (which i have) not " defy physics, and eat in a calorie surplus"
    Soooo... wrong again.
  • jennibean40
    Options
    And how many times are you going to quote that same first passage, when i immediately corrected my statement by saying that i dont INTENTIONALLY restrict calories, as a low calorie dieter would.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP,

I'm low to moderate Carb during my off race season and bump my carbs while training for fuel purpose. Besides this I also shop in the outer aisles of grocery store exception being frozen veggies and tea/coffee aisles.

I have lost quite a lot of weight on this lifestyle..... it's a lifestyle now because it's been so long.

EDTA: Either way I weigh food on scale, track and log everything I eat in grams.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    And how many times are you going to quote that same first passage, when i immediately corrected my statement by saying that i dont INTENTIONALLY restrict calories, as a low calorie dieter would.

you said you never said it and to find the quote. We found the quote and now you are moving the goal posts..

you should really just stop ...this is getting ridiculous...
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Ok... thats me saying i can increase my calorie and still lose weight (which i have) not " defy physics, and eat in a calorie surplus"
    Soooo... wrong again.

"I could maintain my carb count and increase my calorie count.. and continue to lose weight at the level i have been." this is where the defying physics comes in. if you increase your calorie count you can not continue losing at the same rate..unless you meant to say increase your calories by some insignificant amount that wouldn't matter if carbs were the thing you increased anyway.