Is diet pop really bad for you?

Options

Replies

• Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Still doesn't prove anything, doesn't mean it's safe or dangerous, all I know is what I see, of Pepsi can dissolve rust off a nail, I don't want it going through my liver.

i agree with you..
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Still doesn't prove anything, doesn't mean it's safe or dangerous, all I know is what I see, of Pepsi can dissolve rust off a nail, I don't want it going through my liver.

i agree with you..

I hope you don't drink citrus juices or lemonade, then.

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Has anyone drank alot of diet soda to the point that normal soda tastes weird or nasty to them???

Yes, but I'm not very fond of sugar-sweetened beverages anyway... I don't add sugar to coffee or tea, and don't like those juice "cocktails", I stick to real juice.

It's a little odd considering I sure do love sweets in solid form, lol.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

i agree with you..

Better not eat any citrus fruit then, or vinegar, or use baking soda then.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    Has anyone drank alot of diet soda to the point that normal soda tastes weird or nasty to them???

Yes, but I'm not very fond of sugar-sweetened beverages anyway... I don't add sugar to coffee or tea, and don't like those juice "cocktails", I stick to real juice.

It's a little odd considering I sure do love sweets in solid form, lol.

I sure do like white chocolate and cheese cake and white nut cookies
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Maybe they meant free soda refills?

If Ketogenicgurl was, indeed, talking about free refills and/or free packets of artificial sweeteners, I guess she never noticed that free soda refills apply to all sodas, not just diet sodas. And there are sugar packets on the table right next to the artificial sweetener packets. So I'm not sure if she's claiming that all sweeteners are bad, or only the articificial ones.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    What a country! drink what you want! buy into the FDA "safe for all", ignore the hundreds of thousands of people affected by aspartame, negatively, NOT YOU, of course NOT VISIBLY, the most complained about product in USA foods (until FDA switched it's category to bury it) The Artificial Sweeteners act as NEUROTOXINS for many, bioscientists and neurologists, not MDs estimate problems in mental lowering by 3rd generation. so YES all the chubby girls, drink up, pay for a SLEEPER health problem for your future newborn grandchild. Evidence exists that not only are we getting dumber, fewer intelligent people at the high end are being born. why? Yes, any search brings up thousands of hits on the topic.If it were so safe would this be so? seen any issues with carrots?

Young women, look up Thalidamide..how it produced limbless, deformed babies in 50s, because pregnant young women took it for 'safe sleep' and nausea" Germany, all of Europe suffered more than 10,000 babies before it was NOT allowed in here.

30 years consumption of Name Brand Diet soda? good for you, but why on earth do all these people defend the evil megacorporations for dose delivery of a sodium laced addictive neuro stimulator? Self Interest, nobody but 'me' counts, therefore it's OK for all.

Oh well, we are free to choose….this junk is in more than 15,000 products, and FREE at every place food is served..drink up!

Thanks for the lawlz.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    While drinking diet soda may not directly impede weight loss, there have been many studies that show drinking diet soda contributes to the body continuing to crave sweet things, specifically sugar. As to the person that said count the number of obese people driving through McD's and ordering diet soda, what else are they ordering? Personally, I don't drink diet soda or consume anything with artificial sweeteners because I don't like the taste and I don't wish to have those additional chemicals in my body. If I want soda, I will account for it in my daily allowance of calories and drink regular soda. But, once again, this is a personal choice. I do use honey in my tea, which is accounted for along with the milk that is added.

Did you even read the rest of the thread before you posted this?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

i agree with you..

I hope you don't drink citrus juices or lemonade, then.

Or put vinegar in your salad dressing. Or baking soda in your cookies.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp (Also addresses nails, pennies, etc)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    What a country! drink what you want! buy into the FDA "safe for all", ignore the hundreds of thousands of people affected by aspartame, negatively, NOT YOU, of course NOT VISIBLY, the most complained about product in USA foods (until FDA switched it's category to bury it) The Artificial Sweeteners act as NEUROTOXINS for many, bioscientists and neurologists, not MDs estimate problems in mental lowering by 3rd generation. so YES all the chubby girls, drink up, pay for a SLEEPER health problem for your future newborn grandchild. Evidence exists that not only are we getting dumber, fewer intelligent people at the high end are being born. why? Yes, any search brings up thousands of hits on the topic.If it were so safe would this be so? seen any issues with carrots?

Young women, look up Thalidamide..how it produced limbless, deformed babies in 50s, because pregnant young women took it for 'safe sleep' and nausea" Germany, all of Europe suffered more than 10,000 babies before it was NOT allowed in here.

30 years consumption of Name Brand Diet soda? good for you, but why on earth do all these people defend the evil megacorporations for dose delivery of a sodium laced addictive neuro stimulator? Self Interest, nobody but 'me' counts, therefore it's OK for all.

Oh well, we are free to choose….this junk is in more than 15,000 products, and FREE at every place food is served..drink up!

declanfoilhead1.jpg

I think we're gonna need a bigger hat.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I want diet soda...
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is delicious.

I try to limit myself to 1 can a day, ESPECIALLY if it has aspartame. If I can find it made with splenda, I'm good to go. Aspartame is a major migraine trigger for me.

I was dying for a Mt. Dew yesterday and had a 32oz fountain of Diet Dew instead. It was awesome. I'm losing weight.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    "...why do I keep hearing it will,prevent weight loss????

Haven't read any other comments here so I am probably repeating something you've already heard but... your body treats artificial sweeteners the same as sugars. So, if you are guzzling lots of diet sodas, your body thinks it is on an overload of sugar.

The biggest problems with this are two-fold. First of all, there is the very real danger of developing diabetes because your body's chemical response to the artificial sugars being the same as with 'real' sugars and, consuming too much sugar can throw your body's insulin production out of whack.

Secondly, all of that 'not sugar' is still going to mess with your body's metabolism as well as the way in which your body processes fats (which, normally are converted to sugars as needed for the body). If your body thinks you already have a ready supply of sugars for energy (and thus the caveman survival) it is not converting fats. So the fats... remain as fats in your system.

So... consuming 'not sugar', your body still thinks it's sugar and responds as though it is, in fact, sugar.
    Make sense?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »

Haven't read any other comments here so I am probably repeating something you've already heard but... your body treats artificial sweeteners the same as sugars. So, if you are guzzling lots of diet sodas, your body thinks it is on an overload of sugar.

The biggest problems with this are two-fold. First of all, there is the very real danger of developing diabetes because your body's chemical response to the artificial sugars being the same as with 'real' sugars and, consuming too much sugar can throw your body's insulin production out of whack.

Secondly, all of that 'not sugar' is still going to mess with your body's metabolism as well as the way in which your body processes fats (which, normally are converted to sugars as needed for the body). If your body thinks you already have a ready supply of sugars for energy (and thus the caveman survival) it is not converting fats. So the fats... remain as fats in your system.

So... consuming 'not sugar', your body still thinks it's sugar and responds as though it is, in fact, sugar.
    Make sense?

Not at all.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Make sense?

Makes zero sense
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Make sense?

Can you provide scientific data to support either of these?

By the way, I already know the first one is completely wrong. Your body does not produce insulin based on taste. If it did, then everybody who drinks diet soda would be hypoglycemic. How many diet soda drinkers have you ever seen faint because they drank diet soda?

Even if it was correct (and it isn't), my body doesn't make insulin at all. So then what?!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Make sense?

No, because it doesn't make sense.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Make sense?

No, because it doesn't make sense.

What is caveman survival???