DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    I used to subscribe to the school of thought that squats and deadlifts were enough. However, every time I throw ab work in consistently, my squats and deadlifts get better.

My go to are:
    straight leg raises (toes to ceiling/bar if possible)
    bar roll outs
    fall outs
    dumb bell side bends
    suit case carries
    front squat static hold (one of my favourites but I don't do it as much. Overload the bar, unrack and just stand straight)

it's strange, isn't it? that if a person is trying to improve in a big lift that involves a lot of core assitance, that doing specific core work will actually improve performance in those big lifts. just like doing arm work improved my pressing and rowing numbers. but MFP is SQUATZ N DEDZ all day, all the time. anything else be broscience.

just like you, i find that my performance improves with regular core works my....everything. and since "core" includes a variety of functionality, just settling on ONE BEST EXERCISE for it is pure folly. i've got a wide variety of things i add in to my workouts to hit various aspects.

i like the sound of that front static squat. it should be similar to my single arm OH farmers walk, but with a crapton of more weight. i might try that one this afternoon.

Wait...who said only do deads and squats and everything else is bro?

That was me.

But you didn't actually day that!

But I meant it, brah.

Y u quote me before I could fix my typo?

Because I'm a terrible person that doesn't do planks right.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    No worries and thank you.

I really wish people were less prone to jump on the 'why do people say you should only squat and dead and everything else is crap' bandwagon (just as much as I am sure you wish people were less prone to saying exactly that). Usually, that is not what they are saying (in fact, I have never actually seen that on here).

I guess I spend too much time reading these boards then. LOL!
    which is what my post indicated - the 'best' ones for me are squats and deads - does not mean they are optimal if looking at core alone and does not mean they are the 'best' for others - it also does not mean that they are the only thing I do or would recommend.

Generally speaking of course and not directed at you, but I think on MFP there is huge misunderstanding of what the Core musculature really is; it's more than just abs and obliques. Aside from all the muscles contained within it, it really manages quite a bit of just basic movement and the less conditioned these muscles are the better chance somebody has at hurting themselves. Core training doesn't need to be one of those 30-min JM videos either, that's ridiculous, but 1 to 3 exercises for 1 to 3 sets will provide good benefit to most. Whereas there is individuality into what people need and adapt to, basic kinematics can't be ignored and the Core muscles are very important.

I get passionate, for a lack of better words, about this because through school and my PES cert I've spent a lot of time studying about non-contact knee and ankle injuries and much of it (obviously not all) can be prevented with strengthening of the Core muscles. Flexibility, and other muscle groups are a separate topic.

I am pretty sure I read these boards as much as you! :wink:

The fact that there are more than just abs to your core was why I was asking about the studies - I was wondering if they looked at all the main core muscles.

"Whereas there is individuality into what people need and adapt to, basic kinematics can't be ignored and the Core muscles are very important." - I never implied that it could be or they were not, and nor did anyone else. I think you are still assuming and/or reading too much into what people are saying (or not saying to be more accurate).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    I used to subscribe to the school of thought that squats and deadlifts were enough. However, every time I throw ab work in consistently, my squats and deadlifts get better.

My go to are:
    straight leg raises (toes to ceiling/bar if possible)
    bar roll outs
    fall outs
    dumb bell side bends
    suit case carries
    front squat static hold (one of my favourites but I don't do it as much. Overload the bar, unrack and just stand straight)

it's strange, isn't it? that if a person is trying to improve in a big lift that involves a lot of core assitance, that doing specific core work will actually improve performance in those big lifts. just like doing arm work improved my pressing and rowing numbers. but MFP is SQUATZ N DEDZ all day, all the time. anything else be broscience.

just like you, i find that my performance improves with regular core works my....everything. and since "core" includes a variety of functionality, just settling on ONE BEST EXERCISE for it is pure folly. i've got a wide variety of things i add in to my workouts to hit various aspects.

i like the sound of that front static squat. it should be similar to my single arm OH farmers walk, but with a crapton of more weight. i might try that one this afternoon.

Wait...who said only do deads and squats and everything else is bro?

That was me.

But you didn't actually day that!

But I meant it, brah.

Y u quote me before I could fix my typo?

Because I'm a terrible person that doesn't do planks right.

*nods*
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    No worries and thank you.

I really wish people were less prone to jump on the 'why do people say you should only squat and dead and everything else is crap' bandwagon (just as much as I am sure you wish people were less prone to saying exactly that). Usually, that is not what they are saying (in fact, I have never actually seen that on here).

I guess I spend too much time reading these boards then. LOL!
    which is what my post indicated - the 'best' ones for me are squats and deads - does not mean they are optimal if looking at core alone and does not mean they are the 'best' for others - it also does not mean that they are the only thing I do or would recommend.

Generally speaking of course and not directed at you, but I think on MFP there is huge misunderstanding of what the Core musculature really is; it's more than just abs and obliques. Aside from all the muscles contained within it, it really manages quite a bit of just basic movement and the less conditioned these muscles are the better chance somebody has at hurting themselves. Core training doesn't need to be one of those 30-min JM videos either, that's ridiculous, but 1 to 3 exercises for 1 to 3 sets will provide good benefit to most. Whereas there is individuality into what people need and adapt to, basic kinematics can't be ignored and the Core muscles are very important.

I get passionate, for a lack of better words, about this because through school and my PES cert I've spent a lot of time studying about non-contact knee and ankle injuries and much of it (obviously not all) can be prevented with strengthening of the Core muscles. Flexibility, and other muscle groups are a separate topic.

I am pretty sure I read these boards as much as you! :wink:

The fact that there are more than just abs to your core was why I was asking about the studies - I was wondering if they looked at all the main core muscles.

"Whereas there is individuality into what people need and adapt to, basic kinematics can't be ignored and the Core muscles are very important." - I never implied that it could be or they were not, and nor did anyone else. I think you are still assuming and/or reading too much into what people are saying (or not saying to be more accurate).

Yeah, they generally look at the Lumbo-Pelvic Hip Complex. Some may focus more on certain parts like spinal erectors, or transverse abdominus but they generally look at the LPHC.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Sun_child wrote: »
    gmallan wrote: »
    I've been told that no one should do crunches (especially the way you see most people doing them at the gym) - we spend far too much time in a rounded back position and crunches just reinforce that (i.e. sitting down).

Planks are good and, as suggested, RKC are better.

Planks strengthen your core in a stationery stable position through one plane of movement. The problem is that this doesn't much translate well to a real-world scenario. In life we need to have a strong, stable core with moving limbs and rotation.

Particular core exercises that I like for this include:

- Roll outs (ab-wheel/fit ball)
    - High and low wood chops (cable/dumbell)
    - Pallof presses
    - Half kneeling cable anti rotation press
    - Washing machines
    - Land mines
    - Dead bugs

I forgot about rollouts. And whats a landmine

http://bestbarbells.com/landmine-180-russian-twist/

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’ve recently realized that a hollow hold is as intense as any other core exercise you can do. It is a good move to understand how to stabilize the core during other movements.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do a lot of different planks with variations, including RKC planks. Recently I've added Renegade Rows and I think they're probably one of the best core exercises I've ever done. If you're not doing them, give them a try. They're more difficult than they look and I had to have my form checked twice to make sure I was doing them right.