Do you really think one can be happy FAT?

Options

Replies

• shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm still fat and I'm happy. What doesn't make me happy is how people react to *my* happiness. When people are constantly equating fat with ugly and making you feel horrid about yourself, it's hard to be happy. But that's not a problem with *you*, it's a problem with society. That's been changing at least in my life thanks to the body positive movement, and I actually have been very happy fat for the last 3 years since I accepted that what people say about me is their problem.

People can be happy fat, disabled, in medically perfect health, in whatever. And they deserve to be. I really think people just need to support one another's happiness, and the world would be so much better. Let people love themselves, fat or skinny or what have you. Let people think their bodies are rockin' no matter what their weight or fat composition is. Everyone deserves to be happy and to be happy with themselves, aesthetically and more.
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    Options
    I cant answer that cos I've never been morbidly obese and I try not to judge something I've never experienced myself or have no knowledge of but I am overweight and I certainly feel a lot better being slimmer! both physically and especially mentally
  • nicolemtracy
    nicolemtracy Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    For me, regardless of what size I was, I was at my happiest when I was helping others and doing good in my community. Happiness isn't something that just happens when you're thin, a lot of thin people are pretty miserable. Happiness is something that comes from within you. You have to decide to become happy and then do the things that take you there.
  • IrZeo
    IrZeo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    From my personal point of view, no. The quality of life while "big" is not good, no matter what anyone says.

I used to say that I was happy while fat and that it's possible... but now I've lost over 80 lbs since August '14, I'm starting to see what it's really like to feel happy and that beforehand, I was in pure denial.

Quality of life is too good when you aren't as big. Fact.
  • Jaywalker_7
    Jaywalker_7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    IrZeo wrote: »
    From my personal point of view, no. The quality of life while "big" is not good, no matter what anyone says.

I used to say that I was happy while fat and that it's possible... but now I've lost over 80 lbs since August '14, I'm starting to see what it's really like to feel happy and that beforehand, I was in pure denial.

Quality of life is too good when you aren't as big. Fact.

Agree 100%. I was in denial, too. I have literally been obese or morbidly obese my ENTIRE life. I was a chubby kid who grew into a fat adult. I thought I was happy cuz I had some friends and did some "normal" teenage activities and such. Looking back, I can ADMIT how much my weight played a role in my happiness, or lack thereof. I would spend a day at an amusement park and not ride the rides telling my friends I didn't want to ride because of my fear of heights. I just couldn't fit. I claimed I didn't like the beach so I stuck to the boardwalk. I was ashamed to be on the beach in a bathing suit. I mean, maybe not major things for some people, but my weight affected everything I did or didn't do. Now, I still felt attractive (even sexy :wink: ) at my biggest. I still had friends and experienced plenty of things. But I personally can't say that I was truly happy being that controlled by my physical limitations. I believe some people can be happy while they're fat, sure. But for me it was always a constant limitation that negatively affected my life. I am FINALLY starting to LIVE and I'm pushing 30. Thankful I am making this change with a little bit of youth on my side. Hitting the amusement park for sure this summer!!! :smiley:
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I truly believe happiness is a choice. By which it doesn't mean your life is free of strife or illness or obstacles, but rather how you meet those challenges. I wasn't comfortable in my old body, so I changed it, I wasn't an unhappy person though, I socialize, I laughed...I lived. Being thinner in itself doesn't make me happy, being in less pain because I'm thinner does.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I was the happiest in my life when my kids were little. I loved my babies and loved being a mom. I also was 200 pounds. Could have cared less. Then, when my kids got older and I had to go back to work I wasn't fat and happy any longer...I was just fat. All these young, thin beautiful girls in the office and I still looked like a frumpy housewife. So, I changed it.
  • guylenk
    guylenk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am currently fat and I am currently happy. So, yes.
    I'm not losing weight because I'm unhappy.
    I'm losing weight because I LOVE my life and want to keep it for as long as possible.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Last year I reached by highest weight and still was happy about many aspects of my life. Most of us have a variety of people, activities, memories etc. that bring us joy. Being fat doesn't take away from this. However, at some point, if fat is effecting your health than it is an act of self-love to do something about it, if you are lucky enough to be able to. At 51, blessed with good health to the point that I never had a single day in the hospital or check-up with poor findings, I found myself with chronic aching knees and back. I not only looked bad, I was limiting my mobility and heading in a direction I didn't want to go. I also thought I had been disrespectful to the "health gods". Obviously, I'm not talking about being slightly overweight and wanting to lose a few "vanity" pounds. However, the success stories that are written by parents who talk about being able to actively hang out with their kids in the playground or coach their son's hockey team - these stories point out that losing weight has its "happiness" rewards. If you ask yourself "is there something(s) that I can't do know because of my weight that would bring joy to me and/or my loved ones" and the answer is yes, then you should lose weight. This doesn't mean the things that make you happy as a fat person aren't real, it just means that you may open more opportunities. Life throws us tough stuff at times whether thin or fat so a bounty of "happy" reserves is always good. Of course, can I be happier is a different question than am I happy.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    Last year I reached by highest weight and still was happy about many aspects of my life. Most of us have a variety of people, activities, memories etc. that bring us joy. Being fat doesn't take away from this. However, at some point, if fat is effecting your health than it is an act of self-love to do something about it, if you are lucky enough to be able to. At 51, blessed with good health to the point that I never had a single day in the hospital or check-up with poor findings, I found myself with chronic aching knees and back. I not only looked bad, I was limiting my mobility and heading in a direction I didn't want to go. I also thought I had been disrespectful to the "health gods". Obviously, I'm not talking about being slightly overweight and wanting to lose a few "vanity" pounds. However, the success stories that are written by parents who talk about being able to actively hang out with their kids in the playground or coach their son's hockey team - these stories point out that losing weight has its "happiness" rewards. If you ask yourself "is there something(s) that I can't do know because of my weight that would bring joy to me and/or my loved ones" and the answer is yes, then you should lose weight. This doesn't mean the things that make you happy as a fat person aren't real, it just means that you may open more opportunities. Life throws us tough stuff at times whether thin or fat so a bounty of "happy" reserves is always good. Of course, can I be happier is a different question than am I happy.

Smart response.
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Anyone can be happy no matter what their circumstances are so yes, of course they can be. Is it good for them? Should they be promoting it as a healthy norm? Absolutely not. They may not be feeling the effects of being so obese now, but they will in the future. "Fat acceptance" is just another one of those ways people avoid taking responsibility for their negative habits and behavior just like someone who posts on FB that they are "proud" of being an a-hole or a b or being lazy or anything else that people naturally tend to look down on. If they can claim it as part of who they are, then they never have to make any effort to change it.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Possible? Absolutely.
    Common? Probably not.

ETA: I don't mean to imply that an obese person will rarely have a happy life. I only meant to say that it's probably rare that a person is genuinely ok or happy with the state of being obese. That's how I I understood the question.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.
  • UrnAsh_
    UrnAsh_ Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I was happy both fat and thin.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes, absolutely someone can be obese and happy (or thin and unhappy), despite a minority of rude and insecure people in our society. The response to a fat girl dancing is amazing. Of all things, that's exactly what we should be encouraging someone overweight to do!

"Fat Girl Dancing"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbcoh5hre74

"What is Body Shaming"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NG8Th9V4sQ
    I don't like being winded.. not being able to use stairs.
    I don't feel like tackling all these line-by-line, so I'll point out the obvious--gaining weight is about calories in > calories out. It's entirely possible for someone to pass many fitness tests and be obese. I hiked the Grand Canyon all the way up and down in a day while obese. Whitney Thore is, again, dancing in that video above and she has taught group dance classes!

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Happiness isn't an all or nothing emotion. If absolutely everything in your life is perfect except you are unhappy with your weight then would you still call yourself happy?

I am not happy with my weight, but in general terms, I am happy with my life.

• CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    My experience was that I was MUCH happier at size 18 than at size 4.
    Happiness has more to do with having a clean conscience in God (being forgiven and forgiving others), being grateful, enjoying your work and enjoying the fruits of your labor.

I'd like to be thinner, but keep the happiness I learned how to cultivate when I was fat.
  • kimbelle_vie
    kimbelle_vie Posts: 174 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    g2feddzyenqm.jpg
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I was happy when fat. But I had killer GERD and PCOS and weightloss helped that along, a lot.

I took the lessons I learned about body positivity with me when I lost the weight. Its why I didnt have a goal image in my mind for when I lost the weight, and I am generally happy with my body.

I think when you are fat you should continue to live life, have sex, go swimming, whatever . No reason to wait until a level of thinness is attained to start having a rockin' life.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!