Do you really think one can be happy FAT?

Options
1235»

Replies

• getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I have happy fat friends, so yes. Was I happy? No but it wasn't the fat as much as internal stuff. You have to love your body for this journey to work.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Not only can people be happy while fat, but I'd say it's much easier to lose weight when you start off happy than when you start off depressed or miserable.

This time last year I was overweight bordering on obese. I wasn't happy about my weight. But I was happy overall. I had good friends, a job I enjoyed that made me feel fulfilled, a family I love, hobbies and interests and a social life that I loved. I was a happy person overall.

Today, I've lost nearly 30 pounds and I'm at a healthy BMI, though still about 10-15lbs from my goal weight. Whatever. I'm less happy though. Not because of my weight, but because of other things that have happened in my life -- some friends I've lost, some challenges that have come my way. I'm working on these things. I'm a work in progress.

Life is about more than just a number on a scale or a body fat percentage. Happy people come in all shapes and sizes. So do miserable people.

It's self-sabotage to think that "if only I weighed X" or "if only I lost X pounds, I'd be happy." That's never true. Get fit. Get happy. The two don't necessarily have anything to do with one another.
  • Ticklemynose
    Ticklemynose Posts: 47 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Being happy and being happy with your body are two entirely different things.

I'm still overweight and I'm perfectly happy. I don't believe in finding happiness in physical, ever evolving things. I find happiness in love, great weather, a good book, good friends. Having blonde hair doesn't make me happy or unhappy. It just is. My weight (no matter what it is) doesn't make me happy or unhappy, it just is.

I guess it depends on how much value you place on your appearance that will determine how much that influences your happiness.

I concur.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    sjadev1108 wrote: »
    I don't mean to equate skinny with happy, or to say that thin people never have bad days. I do, however, think that being obese, you have put more obstacles in your own way.

Just lol you asked a question, didnt get the answers you liked and now changed your point. You really havent taken in what people are telling you. people are different. Being obese might make some people unhappy if thats your point but isnt that stating the obvious? So might having one leg, no money, no friends.
  • Ticklemynose
    Ticklemynose Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is a state of mind. It depends on how affected you are by social standards and how your weight impedes your life, perceived or otherwise. At the end of the day, it is about embracing yourself, your current stage of life and the overall journey. Weight is one part of life, there are so many other meaningful things to pursue. Living in Singapore, a typically Asian society where people often equate slim or petite with being beautiful, having a more stereotypical American build in terms of frame, curvy, busty and broad shoulders made me uncomfortable for a long time. Sure, people can judge, whether I get affected or buy into that judgement is up to me. Often these people want to make sweeping statements about me, like as if they own my body. It's rather strange. Somehow no one was worried about my health, more about my body and how I looked. I have come to realise people project onto you all the time. Their personal issues with weight is reflected in their comments.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Not only can people be happy while fat, but I'd say it's much easier to lose weight when you start off happy than when you start off depressed or miserable.

I think this is a good point.

I was happy and fat, so yes, you can be both. To be honest, I usually used to lose my appetite (and a little weight) when I was unhappy, so I associated lack of appetite with unhappiness.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!