Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I'm thinking about going vegetarian or vegan

1235»

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited March 2015

Is this behavior omnivores approve of? The people I associate with don't.

I mean, you are what you eat, am I right?!

Then I guess people who eat people are more human than the rest of us.

In all seriousness, I'm not bashing vegans, like I said I was vegan for 5 years and it wasn't a sustainable life style for me. I think veganism is very respectable and I commend anyone that does it.

I think there is a bigger issue however, for which animal abuse is the symptom. That is overpopulation. Humans are an invasive species and there are too many people on the planet. With so many people, it's easy to see why industries are cutting corners and resorting to cruel behavior in order to supply the large demand for meat and dairy. It is not possible to get 100% of people to eat vegan, but I think it is possible for the population to be reduced and better practices to be used.

So for me, I like to support the companies trying to make a difference by using sustainable and more humane farming methods. I think having sustainable and more human practices in the industry is a more realistic goal in the short term. Once we get there, perhaps we can push again for an even more humane industry. But who knows, they've already grown a full beef steak in a lab that supposidly emulated the real thing, perhaps that approach will go into the mainstream market once it's less expensive.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited March 2015
    JoRocka wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I think if you had a good point, you'd be happy to explain it. You might clarify the issue for me or you might reach someone who is passively reading this conversation. If the use of the donated bodies for research really did present an argument for the acceptability of killing animals for their flesh, I would think it would be a valuable addition to the conversation.
    Again, you're willfully ignoring or missing context. I'll give this advice for free: "You might want to think about that."

The point again has been missed. Not only that, but now you're digging in your heels and refusing to think about it. *shrug* Again, there's no profitable outcome for me here, because the easy points have already been missed. (lol, my money is now on being reported for attacking, or whatevs.)

I'd like to think about it -- I'm open to hearing whatever you have to say. I certainly hope nobody reports you for the posts you've made here.

Oh hello passive aggressiveness. thanks for coming to the party.

I'm sorry this struck you as passive aggressive, that wasn't my intention. How would you have suggested phrasing it so it doesn't come across that way?

I would like to hear what s/he thinks the connection between the two is. And I hope nobody reports those posts -- there isn't anything inappropriate in them.

I don't see anything in those posts that require reporting- but if I had to say something like that I'd say

"Damyun son- good luck not getting reported for that ish."
    except- usually I only say that for when people go off on mods- and other people.

disagree=/= fighting/re-portable offenses.

so really what I'm trying to say- the comment just felt unnecessary and completely passive aggressive.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Hey, I get reported for everything these days, it's the in thing. lol.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Why did I read this thread? I'll just say this. Please, omnivores, don't think all vegetarians feel the same. Some of us just like to eat that way because we don't like meat.
  • Nuka_Gina
    Nuka_Gina Posts: 92 Member
    Go with an ethical farm or even try kosher. In order to be deemed kosher the animals have to be raised and killed humanely. They have very strict guidelines. Might be something to check into. :)
  • dbmata
    edited March 2015
    See what I mean @JoRocka‌
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I think if you had a good point, you'd be happy to explain it. You might clarify the issue for me or you might reach someone who is passively reading this conversation. If the use of the donated bodies for research really did present an argument for the acceptability of killing animals for their flesh, I would think it would be a valuable addition to the conversation.
    Again, you're willfully ignoring or missing context. I'll give this advice for free: "You might want to think about that."

The point again has been missed. Not only that, but now you're digging in your heels and refusing to think about it. *shrug* Again, there's no profitable outcome for me here, because the easy points have already been missed. (lol, my money is now on being reported for attacking, or whatevs.)

I'd like to think about it -- I'm open to hearing whatever you have to say. I certainly hope nobody reports you for the posts you've made here.

I'm sorry this struck you as passive aggressive, that wasn't my intention. How would you have suggested phrasing it so it doesn't come across that way?

I would like to hear what s/he thinks the connection between the two is. And I hope nobody reports those posts -- there isn't anything inappropriate in them.

I'm a she, totally. I got parts that just don't work. lulz.

Thanks for letting me know -- I try to avoid assumptions about that online.
  • JoRocka
    See what I mean @JoRocka‌

aw cute- you're in prison again

#freeDB.com

or something.
  • dbmata

I'm a she, totally. I got parts that just don't work. lulz.

Thanks for letting me know -- I try to avoid assumptions about that online.

Well, the pictures of my goatee are kind of a give away. lol.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I don't see anything in those posts that require reporting- but if I had to say something like that I'd say

except- usually I only say that for when people go off on mods- and other people.

so really what I'm trying to say- the comment just felt unnecessary and completely passive aggressive.

That comment was in response to her prediction that she was about to be reported. If my comment was out of the blue, I would agree with you. But she had said she thought she was about to be reported and I think any such report would be totally inappropriate. That is what I meant there.

Disagreement, even spirited disagreement (which I don't even think we had here), shouldn't be a reportable offense. We're in total agreement.
  • JoRocka

That comment was in response to her prediction that she was about to be reported. If my comment was out of the blue, I would agree with you. But she had said she thought she was about to be reported and I think any such report would be totally inappropriate. That is what I meant there.

Disagreement, even spirited disagreement (which I don't even think we had here), shouldn't be a reportable offense. We're in total agreement.

nods