How heavy should girls lift?

Options
Hi,

I have been doing arm and leg weights for about a year now. Really enjoy it and love the results I have got from it.

As I have been doing it for a while now I recently increased the frequency and weights I am doing. For about two months now I have been doing weights 5 days a week for about an hour each time. I have put on about 5 pounds and my measurements are getting bigger too. This isn't what i was hoping to achieve!

Do you think it's because 5 days a week is too much? Or is it because the weighs I'm using are heavier? I know women shouldn't bulk up from doing weights but is it maybe better to use lower weights and do more reps as opposed to heavier weights and fewer reps?

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Women can lift like men. If you are bulking, it's because you're eating at a calorie surplus. Don't worry, you won't look like a bodybuilder by accident. Women don't have enough testosterone for that and the women bodybuilders achieve their physics with very specific training, nutrition and (sometimes) supplements.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    As much as she can.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    csman49 wrote: »
    As much as she can.

Yep.
  • 10ecmuscle
    10ecmuscle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Women can push themselves as hard as any man. Naturally they will not get bulky muscle like men do. But they will gain some muscle, muscle definition and with more muscle comes more fat burning. So go ahead and head to the squat rack and kill it and let the men drool over a sexy woman lifting.
  • MoniqueHoltman
    MoniqueHoltman Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I eat anything between 1,300 and 1,700 calories a day. I do a lot of running too as I'm training for a half marathon - surely that can't be a calorie surplus?
  • awebster2
    awebster2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    As much as she can.

Yep.

This. Only been doing it for a year (happy anniversary today!!) but I've gone from doing squats against a fitness ball against a wall to squatting 185 pounds (and have dropped from 171 pounds to current 117). Do NOT be afraid of lifting heavy. "Toning" is crap.
  • csman49
    Options
    Be that hottie that outlifts the guys
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    At risk of coming off as some kind of femnazi, you can lift as much as you damned well please (so long as you aren't risking injury or improper form, of course). Women simply do not contain the level of testosterone necessary to "bulk" like a man... If you're looking to stay lean/burn off the fat whilst building muscle, you need to make sure you're watching your calories...

As far as lifting low weights, high reps, I suppose this could help, though personally I'm more of a high weight, low rep kind of gal. I would presume that the latter should build more muscle, but don't quote me...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    As much as she can.

at least 5 more pounds is my usual answer.
  • csman49
    Options
    yes! ALL of them works too! Dang... u married??
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    To see real gains while lifting, you would have to be eating at a surplus, and eating enough protein. How accurately do you track your calories? Do you use a food scale?

As for scale weight, you could see a jump from water retention in your muscles. This is good, your muscles are repairing themselves. I'm not sure that would affect your measurements too, though.

Lifting heavier weights with low reps builds strength. Lifting lighter weights with high reps builds endurance. Do you want to get stronger? If you want to keep getting stronger, keep lifting heavy. Heavy is subjective, so I'd venture to say you can't lift too heavy, unless maybe you're severely compromising form in order to keep lifting something that may be too heavy. That's the only time I could really think "lifting too heavy" would apply.
  • queer_mermaid
    queer_mermaid Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Lift however much you damn well please as long as your form is on point and it makes you feel good! high weight low reps definitely builds strength, but muscle size doesn't really grow unless you're eating at a calorie surplus, if anything, the heavier the weights I lift, the smaller and more defined but strong I seem to get. If you're concerned, you should book a programme with someone at your gym who will probably know loads about it all.
    Also, I use IIFYM to make sure I'm hitting all my macros etc!
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    I eat anything between 1,300 and 1,700 calories a day. I do a lot of running too as I'm training for a half marathon - surely that can't be a calorie surplus?

You're lifting + training for a half marathon on 1300-1700 cals a day?!!! You must be starving. Do you eat your calories back? You need to fuel your workouts.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I think it depends what you are trying to achieve. As Jennifer says, you wont look like a body builder by accident so don't worry about looking 'manly'.

I love to lift heavy. I like the feeling of strength it gives me. I don't want to look thin, I want to look 'fit'. Having muscles is a great way to burn calories and increase your metabolism.

I personally couldn't lift 5 days a week. It takes me more than a day to recover so I cant do consecutive days. I am in the process of dealing with the reason I get DOMS so badly with nutrition and supplements. I mix heavy lifting with circuits and boxercise. I'm also running. Running is not my usual exercise of choice but I have a charity race in July. I am discovering it's a great calorie burner but I'm not sure if it fits with my strength training.

If you like to lift but you're worried that you are making too much of a gain, I wonder if you'd enjoy something with a bit of weight but also cardio, like circuits or crossfit? Might be worth looking into getting a bit of variety?
  • MoniqueHoltman
    Options
    Can you open your diary?

Yeah sure. Can't work out how to do it though?
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Although im not a woman, I think there are a few general things that goes for both genders. You won't put on much muscle mass unless you're eating the right macros and also at calorie surplus. Also heavy is kind of a subjective term because it's different with everyone. To me, Heavy lifting classifies as the most weight you can push with proper form and reach failure around 3-5 reps for the heaviest or 6-8 for moderately heavy weight.

You mentioned your measurements are getting bigger? as in your seeing more muscle growth? I think you should be proud if that's the case. Nothing wrong with a woman who has a good bit of muscle on her. However, if this isn't somehting you're looking to do, then it would be best to stick to higher reps around the 15+ range.

I would suggest looking for a routine based on your body composition goals (getting lean, gaining mass, fat loss, etc.). Bodybuilding.com has a giant database of regimens based on what your gender and fitness goals are. Good luck

• jennifershoo
    Options
    Can you open your diary?

Thanks.

At the top of the page, click on Settings.
    Then, "Diary Settings"
    Scroll down to "Diary Sharing"
    And make it public.

• MoniqueHoltman
    Options
    Can you open your diary?

Thanks.

At the top of the page, click on Settings.
    Then, "Diary Settings"
    Scroll down to "Diary Sharing"
    And make it public.

Ok done
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If you're increasing weight and measurements, you're not eating at a deficit. Was that your goal?

What program are you using?