eating healthy = lame and boring ....

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I just ate a gorgonzola and gingered-pear quesadilla. Delicious and healthy!

I bet it would be even more delicious fried up in lard. :drinker:

Seriously, whats with all the lard hate? Has anyone even tried it recently, its absolutely delicious, as is everything that comes from the pig (well except for maybe swine flu, but then again you cant actually taste viruses).

Hey now! I didn't diss the lard. I know it's yummy. But I don't think the quesadilla needed it...
    Isn't the quesadilla traditionally fried with lard, I think so. I use duck fat quite a bit for frying and the texture can't be duplicated with any regular oil imo.

You're telling me that this sounded like a traditional quesadilla?
    I didn't say it was.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

Seriously, whats with all the lard hate? Has anyone even tried it recently, its absolutely delicious, as is everything that comes from the pig (well except for maybe swine flu, but then again you cant actually taste viruses).

Hey now! I didn't diss the lard. I know it's yummy. But I don't think the quesadilla needed it...
    Isn't the quesadilla traditionally fried with lard, I think so. I use duck fat quite a bit for frying and the texture can't be duplicated with any regular oil imo.

I didn't say it was.

Are we fighting?
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options

I didn't say it was.

Are we fighting?

I think you guys are actually right, duck fat is the way to go. It would pair well with pears.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I was referring more to the burger/fries type of fast food. True, there are healthy options at Subway but good luck finding options anywhere that isn't loaded with sodium..

So, what are the negative effects of sodium? Does this occur once you have consumed over the RDA, or does it happen sooner? I don't have any health issues related to sodium, if I consume too much today will it cause problems a year from now? What is "too much" sodium? What if I completely cut out sodium, like zero, would that be healthy?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. :tongue:

ohhh busted...see, at least I am a good sport about it ..

and I meant lets not go three ...as in lets not go at each other three times...
  • ndj1979
    Options

i would rather just deep fry lard and eat that....

screw all that fancy quesadilla ginger pear gorgonzola crap....
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's called seasonings, spices & naturally flavorful foods.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

SSNFF. sounds good.

but SSNFF+L is beter.

*L=Lard.
  • ndj1979
    Options

bla bla bla bla ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I was referring more to the burger/fries type of fast food. True, there are healthy options at Subway but good luck finding options anywhere that isn't loaded with sodium..

So, what are the negative effects of sodium? Does this occur once you have consumed over the RDA, or does it happen sooner? I don't have any health issues related to sodium, if I consume too much today will it cause problems a year from now? What is "too much" sodium? What if I completely cut out sodium, like zero, would that be healthy?

give it a test and eat a big mac three times a day for four to six weeks and go get worked up by your DR and see what the before and after is...
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way .... eating exciting = now I'm fat

So believe me when I say that I would eat plain chicken and salad and hard boiled eggs for as long as it takes to not be fat cause that is where the real excitement is ...... I'll worry about how bland my diet it when I get to maintenance which from the looks of it, you are already there.
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options

give it a test and eat a big mac three times a day for four to six weeks and go get worked up by your DR and see what the before and after is...

Supersize Me!
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    What about the ones that survive on protein shakes and vitamins? 800 calories a day should be showing a bit of a weight loss, but it's miserable.
    I like Potatoes and Carrots.... Bacon.... Pizza... Ice Cream.... You know REAL FOOD!!
  • chickadelta
    Options
    I mean come on who wants to each just plain fish, plain grilled chicken, plain rice, just vegetables...vegetables all the freaking time, really? Ughhhhhhhh good lord that is so lame and boring. Give me a tub of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and some freaking apple pie every single night, and I will be set. How do some of your people stick to such lame and boring foods day after day ..ughhh ..are you all like a bunch of zombies or something...????

mmm....healthy braiiiiiiinnnns...
  • JLBenton
    JLBenton Posts: 13
    Options
    A couple of interesting documentaries for the 'skeptics':

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1227378/?ref_=sr_1)
    Supersize Me (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390521/?ref_=sr_2)

As far as Macros go, I'm not 100% certain what they are other than a division of protein, carbs and fats intake based on your goals (i.e. 40%/30%/30%). Here is a link for more information:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm

The site states that:
    Do Macro-Nutrients Matter?

There is a difference of opinion on this. Some feel that only calories count, whilst others argue that distribution of nutrients is what is important.

However, evidence would suggest that the health of a person is affected if too many calories are coming from bad fats or refined carbs. This is the premise behind Gary Taubes' book, Good Calories, Bad Calories.

The reality is - you must find what works for you - and to do this you have to start somewhere! If it doesn't work - try something else.

Tom Venuto's ebook Burn The Fat has a considerable section about macro nutrient ratios and calories. His opinion is that extremes (such as very low carb, and very low fat, are only appropriate for a small section of the population).

Getting It In Context

Here's a quick look at what the gram values are for some common items: (note that we are not delving into the nutritional quality aspects here - such as sodium, calcium, breakdown of fats, ingredients etc...)

Carbohydrate Protein Fat
    McDonalds Big Mac & Large Fries 116g 31g 55g
    1 Slice of Super Supreme Pizza from Pizza Hutt 28g 13g 17g
    4oz (113g) skinless boneless chicken breast,
    1 cup brown rice (cooked), 1 cup broccoli 43g 38g 5.5g

The fat in a Big Mac and Fries can contain enough fat for an entire days intake!

The bottom line is to make sure your nutrient ratios are promoting the desired weight loss and having a positive effect on your overall health.

Furthermore, there are a variety of 'lifestyles' that recommend what that distribution should be (Moderate, Moderate II, Zone, Low Carb, Very Low Carb).

Here's a study regarding the long-term effects of high sodium intake: http://www.bmj.com/content/334/7599/885

However, too little sodium isn't all that hot either: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-blood-sodium/AN00621

Basically, too little sodium contributes to and/or even encourages water intoxication and water poisoning (among other things). Doesn't sound too awesome to me...

Then of course, there is the highly faddish paleo-diet: http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/paleo-diet

Cooking and 'healthy eating' is a state of mind. If you don't want to put effort into what you consume, you reap what you sow. However, to be fair, my husband does 90% of the cooking in the house. There are numerous sites that offer 'the bestest low-XXX (fill in the blank) recipe EVER'. However, frankly, I don't have the gourmet kitchen to house the expensive organics, gadgets, or personal chef (don't count hubby, please) to live the 'ultimate lifestyle'. Neither do I live in a place large enough to have hippie-dippie-yuppie grocery stores. I do what I can with what I have and have learned to be contented with being informed and making the best choices I have available to me. Of course, just take a look at my goals and you'll see that I've got a LONG way to go... no preaching to the choir here; merely attempting to offer resources/studies/etc. to assist in the education of those requesting the information. :flowerforyou:

Oh, and I do eat sweets; I've found great substitutions or am learning to indulge my inner Cookie-Monster and NOT eat an entire box of Oreos. I love pizza; just working on not eating an entire pie (which I could easily do - any crust, just load it with cheese and meat, but mostly gooey cheese).

Panko is great if you want to substitute 'fried' with 'baked' chicken. It's crispy and give the consistency of fried with less of the 'bad' (but don't you WANT to be bad... at least SOMETIMES?)

Even Alton Brown's 'fish and chips' (when done properly) utilizes almost no oil when done (meaning the food isn't greasy): http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/altons-chips-and-fish-recipe/82403.html

It's all about preparation, Baby, and what you want out of your consumption to make you the happiest, healthiest and most content. Anything else is hype. Listen to your body; it will tell you what it needs and what it doesn't.

Cheers!
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    rootbeerfloat.gif
  • nikilis
    Options

Supersize Me!

no that was big mac + fries + drink <
    like he says in the movie, the fries and the drink are the worst parts.

the other point is he didn't try to maintain, he made himself finish meals rather than stopping when he was hungry.

probably it was the fries that messed him up. not so much the burger.

maybe you are referring to don gorske.

don-gorske-eating-a-big-m-003.jpg

dude eats 2-3 big macs a day, for the last 39 years.

Despite his obsession Gorske says he has been given a clean bill of health by his doctor and takes regular exercise.

Unsurprisingly medical experts do not recommend the Gorske diet. Tara Gidus, a registered dietitian in Florida, said Gorske probably has good genetics to thank for his health, alongside the fact that he resists the temptation to order
    > fries and soft drinks with his burger.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Why a Big Mac instead of, say, a double meat turkey sub on wheat loaded with veggies?

Why the exact same food 3 times a day?

Why ignore macro and calorie goals?
  • JLBenton
    JLBenton Posts: 13
    Options

Why a Big Mac instead of, say, a double meat turkey sub on wheat loaded with veggies?

Great questions. If what you're doing is working for you, FANTASTIC! Everyone is different/unique; it would stand to reason (even with my faulty/fuzzy logic) that our consumption should be as individualistic as the individual doing the gnoshing. :glasses:
  • nikilis
    Options

Great questions. If what you're doing is working for you, FANTASTIC! Everyone is different/unique; it would stand to reason (even with my faulty/fuzzy logic) that our consumption should be as individualistic as the individual doing the gnoshing. :glasses:

translation: live and let live broskis.

high 5's all round.