eating healthy = lame and boring ....

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between losing weight and being healthy. Counting calories may result in weight loss, but if all or most of those calories are made up of "junk", then your body will most likely not be very healthy..

I'm glad you put "junk" in quotes, because it's sort of a meaningless term.

Isolated, individual foods are not "healthy" or "junky" or whatever. It's an overall diet, in its entirety, that is healthy or unhealthy. If you are feeding your body the nutrients it needs to thrive, in the proper amounts and with an appropriate caloric content, you are eating healthy. If you are either depriving your body of the nutrients it needs, or you are feeding it excessive calories, you are not eating healthy.

I have to agree with your statement. What I was mostly referring to (which I should have made clear) is the people who are only counting calories and not their macros. They may think that it's healthy to eat fast food all day as long as the calories fit. But that would result in their macros most likely being out of whack at the end of the day... they met their calorie goal, but they are seriously over in fats, carbs, and sodium, etc..

I don't think anyone really pays attention to ONLY calories. That's certainly not doing it right.

But it's not difficult to fit delicious things like ice cream, pizza, burgers, etc, into a diet that has appropriate calorie and nutrient content. Poo-pooing ice cream as being "like eating lard" is ridiculous. Ice cream is amazing. Sure, some people just don't like ice cream, but there are a lot of people who decide to get "healthy" and then convince themselves that ice cream is "unhealthy" and is "like lard" or something silly.

Same with donuts. There's nothing wrong with a donut, or ice cream, or Pop-tart, or taco, or whatever, as long as you can fit it into your nutritional goals.

The entire concept of an "unhealthy" food is intellectually bankrupt.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between losing weight and being healthy. Counting calories may result in weight loss, but if all or most of those calories are made up of "junk", then your body will most likely not be very healthy..

Isolated, individual foods are not "healthy" or "junky" or whatever. It's an overall diet, in its entirety, that is healthy or unhealthy. If you are feeding your body the nutrients it needs to thrive, in the proper amounts and with an appropriate caloric content, you are eating healthy. If you are either depriving your body of the nutrients it needs, or you are feeding it excessive calories, you are not eating healthy.

I have to agree with your statement. What I was mostly referring to (which I should have made clear) is the people who are only counting calories and not their macros. They may think that it's healthy to eat fast food all day as long as the calories fit. But that would result in their macros most likely being out of whack at the end of the day... they met their calorie goal, but they are seriously over in fats, carbs, and sodium, etc..

38464695.jpg
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone really pays attention to ONLY calories. That's certainly not doing it right.

But it's not difficult to fit delicious things like ice cream, pizza, burgers, etc, into a diet that has appropriate calorie and nutrient content. Poo-pooing ice cream as being "like eating lard" is ridiculous. Ice cream is amazing. Sure, some people just don't like ice cream, but there are a lot of people who decide to get "healthy" and then convince themselves that ice cream is "unhealthy" and is "like lard" or something silly.

Same with donuts. There's nothing wrong with a donut, or ice cream, or Pop-tart, or taco, or whatever, as long as you can fit it into your nutritional goals.

Yup. I lose weight by staying within my calorie goal, and that's mainly by eating high fiber, whole grains, moderate carbs, and lots of vegetables and lean proteins. ...And ending the day with ice cream, toffee, Skittles, chocolate and gummy bears. None of it is "unhealthy" for me because I make it all fit.
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options

"I don't think anyone really pays attention to ONLY calories. That's certainly not doing it right."

[/quote]

There are people who only pay attention to calories...

....whoops...kinda screwed up that quote thing :tongue:
  • jonnythan
    Options

"I don't think anyone really pays attention to ONLY calories. That's certainly not doing it right."

Not that many. They are mostly people who are new to this and clueless, without a great deal of actual success to show.

It doesn't matter though. The entire point is that you can fit any kind of delicious food you want, including donuts and ice cream, into a healthy diet.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

This.

I am in the best shape of my life right now wearing size 4 clothes and squatting over 210 pounds...

Yet I eat pizza, spaghetti, tacos, etc. every single week with some type of noodle every single DAY. I also eat cheesecake everyday of my life and indulge on ice cream as well. I have Ben & Jerry's Cinnamon Buns ice cream in the freezer right now.

I used to binge a lot when I first started out. That's because I tried to be one of those "clean eaters." So glad I got over that crap. :flowerforyou:
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Just like in sex...variety is the key. I just made honey turkey chops. Even the dude in my house was begging for more & it was a healthy recipe! Healthy doesn't mean bland. Use lots of spices! Doesn't mango chicken, twice baked italian wings and roasted red potatoes sound yummy! That's what I eat in my house and I'm always low on carbs, salt and fat and high on protein.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating chicken breasts, salmon, avocado, nuts, cottage cheese, Greek yoghurt, lots of vegetables, some fruits, hard boiled eggs, steak, cheese, tofu, sweet potatoes and houmous.

However, I also like having a nice piece of chocolate, carrot or blueberry and vanilla cake, or a scone with clotted cream and jam, or an ice cream, or a chocolate bar, or even a brownie or giant chocolate chip cookie most days, as an extra. I figure, that as long as I make the rest of my food as nutrient dense as possible, a treat comprising 10-20% of my intake, is not going to kill me.

That said, I am capable of eating 'clean'. I just choose not to, for the time being.
  • nikilis
    Options

what exactly happens if you only watch calories?

how far out do your macros have to be for there to be a problem?

isn't is a whole *kitten* load more about what you are eating, rather than the category it fits in.

seems like your making a big deal out of something that only a very small group of people would have a problem with, aka their diet is totally devoid of nutrients.

so why does it matter that much?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You just need a really good girlfriend or wife to cook you up some good food! Healthy food DOES NOT have to be boring! :)

no, it's not a woman's job to do this. The guy needs to learn to cook for himself. I can't believe a woman said this.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    that's because I made the crime, now it's time to pay the price. Get it? who loses weight eating pizza dumb dumb.

I do. I lose weight eating pizza, fast food, and ice cream. Guess I'm dumb :laugh:

I thought it was "loose" weight.
  • nikilis
    Options
    You just need a really good girlfriend or wife to cook you up some good food! Healthy food DOES NOT have to be boring! :)

no, it's not a woman's job to do this. The guy needs to learn to cook for himself. I can't believe a woman said this.

amen girlfriend.
  • shortie_sarah
    Options

Not that many. They are mostly people who are new to this and clueless, without a great deal of actual success to show.

It doesn't matter though. The entire point is that you can fit any kind of delicious food you want, including donuts and ice cream, into a healthy diet.

I already said that I agreed with you..
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    ee0ec77f-afb6-45a1-901d-85021bcf91e2_zps74c08391.jpg
  • shortie_sarah
    Options

isn't is a whole *kitten* load more about what you are eating, rather than the category it fits in.

seems like your making a big deal out of something that only a very small group of people would have a problem with, aka their diet is totally devoid of nutrients.

First of all, I have not made a big deal about anything....
    Secondly, having a surplus of certain categories can cause health issues. High blood pressure, clogged arteries, blood sugar level issues (diabetes), cholesterol issues..
    And yes, it is about what you're eating. That's the point I'm trying to make..
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Ur doin' it wrong.
  • nikilis
    Options

First of all, I have not made a big deal about anything....
    Secondly, having a surplus of certain categories can cause health issues. High blood pressure, clogged arteries, blood sugar level issues (diabetes), cholesterol issues..
    And yes, it is about what you're eating. That's the point I'm trying to make..

so how much would your macros have to be out to have such issues?

and yah... you kinda did make a big deal out of it. lol.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Burrito2.jpg
  • nikilis
    Options
    Burrito2.jpg

epic burrito is epic.
  • jonnythan
    Options