Options

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Sammy813 wrote: »
    The point of my question has nothing to do with proving Splenda causes cancer but, bc people are commenting about it here are some fun facts:

Sucralose: What are the cons?

The most misunderstood fact about sucralose is that it is nothing like sugar even though the marketing implies that it is. Sucralose was actually discovered while trying to create a new insecticide. It may have started out as sugar, but the final product is anything but sugar. According to the book Sweet Deception, sucralose is made when sugar is treated with trityl chloride, acetic anhydride, hydrogen chlorine, thionyl chloride, and methanol in the presence of dimethylformamide, 4-methylmorpholine, toluene, methyl isobutyl ketone, acetic acid, benzyltriethlyammonium chloride, and sodium methoxide, making it unlike anything found in nature. If you read the fine print on the Splenda web site, it states that "although sucralose has a structure like sugar and a sugar-like taste, it is not natural." The presence of chlorine is thought to be the most dangerous component of sucralose. Chlorine is considered a carcinogen and has been used in poisonous gas, disinfectants, pesticides, and plastics. The digestion and absorption of sucralose is not clear due to a lack of long-term studies on humans. The majority of studies were done on animals for short lengths of time. The alleged symptoms associated with sucralose are gastrointestinal problems (bloating, gas, diarrhea, nausea), skin irritations (rash, hives, redness, itching, swelling), wheezing, cough, runny nose, chest pains, palpitations, anxiety, anger, moods swings, depression, and itchy eyes. The only way to be sure of the safety of sucralose is to have long-term studies on humans done.

Ok, no more posts from me on that subject. I don't want to debate about it lol!

I'm curious, what is the source for this info? I'd like to go read, but you did not list any links.
    I believe it's copypasta from here: http://www.medicinenet.com/artificial_sweeteners/page9.htm

ETA: Sniped because I didn't read the whole thread first. I R bad MFPer. :(
    a2yhiuvr00cc.gif

Thanks- I was on mobile or I would have googled it myself and then added a funny gif. :)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    trityl chloride, acetic anhydride, hydrogen chlorine, thionyl chloride, and methanol in the presence of dimethylformamide, 4-methylmorpholine, toluene, methyl isobutyl ketone, acetic acid, benzyltriethlyammonium chloride, and sodium methoxide,

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you have no clue what any of these are.

Also: hydrogen chlorine? Nope.

Could be though. But using HCl in the synthesis doesn't mean you eat HCl as a result. It's just an acid used in chlorination reactions (and other stuff). (Sorry, I'm a chemist :p )
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    If sugar is the devil then I guess I'm working for the devil. I work in a bakery.

In seriousness, if you crave sugar maybe you should...have sugar? I don't think deprivation is a good thing and it may set you up for future failure. I think the intense cravings you're describing will stop when you allow yourself sugar each day in normal quantities because then you won't be deprived.

no you work for a heroin pusher, get with the program
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    If sugar is the devil then I guess I'm working for the devil. I work in a bakery.

In seriousness, if you crave sugar maybe you should...have sugar? I don't think deprivation is a good thing and it may set you up for future failure. I think the intense cravings you're describing will stop when you allow yourself sugar each day in normal quantities because then you won't be deprived.

This is true, as I am also illegally growing and harvesting donut trees in my backyard. It's all supply and demand, yaknow?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    The point of my question has nothing to do with proving Splenda causes cancer but, bc people are commenting about it here are some fun facts:

Sucralose: What are the cons?

The most misunderstood fact about sucralose is that it is nothing like sugar even though the marketing implies that it is. Sucralose was actually discovered while trying to create a new insecticide. It may have started out as sugar, but the final product is anything but sugar. According to the book Sweet Deception, sucralose is made when sugar is treated with trityl chloride, acetic anhydride, hydrogen chlorine, thionyl chloride, and methanol in the presence of dimethylformamide, 4-methylmorpholine, toluene, methyl isobutyl ketone, acetic acid, benzyltriethlyammonium chloride, and sodium methoxide, making it unlike anything found in nature. If you read the fine print on the Splenda web site, it states that "although sucralose has a structure like sugar and a sugar-like taste, it is not natural." The presence of chlorine is thought to be the most dangerous component of sucralose. Chlorine is considered a carcinogen and has been used in poisonous gas, disinfectants, pesticides, and plastics. The digestion and absorption of sucralose is not clear due to a lack of long-term studies on humans. The majority of studies were done on animals for short lengths of time. The alleged symptoms associated with sucralose are gastrointestinal problems (bloating, gas, diarrhea, nausea), skin irritations (rash, hives, redness, itching, swelling), wheezing, cough, runny nose, chest pains, palpitations, anxiety, anger, moods swings, depression, and itchy eyes. The only way to be sure of the safety of sucralose is to have long-term studies on humans done.

Ok, no more posts from me on that subject. I don't want to debate about it lol!

Oh, *kitten*! My sides!

1) OP posts that artificial sweeteners cause cancer.
    2) Hilarity ensues.
    3) OP doubles down with ctrl+v from the internets.
    4) Enterprising individuals find original article.
    5) Amazingly bearded individual notices the paragraph immediately preceding the piece that OP copied.

"The FDA reviewed studies in human beings and animals and determined that sucralose did not pose carcinogenic, reproductive, or neurological risk to human beings."

choofed.gif

I am not amazingly bearded. I have a beard, but it ain't amazing.

Heck, you even quoted my post that had that in it.

Whatchu playin' at, bro?

Aw, you're totally right. I quoted your post to confirm the medicine.net source but didn't actually read the line you put in there from it. It wasn't until I started reading the actual page that I saw how close it was to the piece that was quoted by OP. Nice job catching that!
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Look, in the off chance this heads off a ten page gif laden argument, it's simple - if you find it difficult to resist temptation then keep sugary stuff out the house. If you can exercise enough willpower to moderate your intake then have some lying around.

OK now that this is out of the way can we spam this thread with cat gifs? :)

This cat has eaten wayyyy too much devilish sugar:
    Cat-Is-About-To-Reach-Its-Final-Form-Gif.gif

Coming down off a sugar high

giphy.gif

Lol sugar crash!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hy
    trityl chloride, acetic anhydride, hydrogen chlorine, thionyl chloride, and methanol in the presence of dimethylformamide, 4-methylmorpholine, toluene, methyl isobutyl ketone, acetic acid, benzyltriethlyammonium chloride, and sodium methoxide,

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you have no clue what any of these are.

Could be though. But using HCl in the synthesis doesn't mean you eat HCl as a result. It's just an acid used in chlorination reactions (and other stuff). (Sorry, I'm a chemist :p )

But HCl isn't hydrogen chlorine. It's hydrogen chloride. Which, while it could have been a typo, the fact that it was submitted and then edited - supposedly by doctors - makes me think they don't really understand what's going on.
  • mrsmuzzy24
    mrsmuzzy24 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am trying to cut out my addiction to sugar too. Trying to keep it out of my house. I like the idea of the really good dark chocolate idea as a little moderation to pass the cravings. I might have to try that!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Haven't read past the OP...please tell me someone bookmarked this thread to pull out the next time we get the "no one ever says sugar is the devil" retort...
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    Hy

But HCl isn't hydrogen chlorine. It's hydrogen chloride. Which, while it could have been a typo, the fact that it was submitted and then edited - supposedly by doctors - makes me think they don't really understand what's going on.

Oh yes, sorry! I totally read chloride, not chlorine. Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. That source is totally credible!!!!!!!!
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Haven't read past the OP...please tell me someone bookmarked this thread to pull out the next time we get the "no one ever says sugar is the devil" retort...
    Yep :)
    Bookmarking this thread.

Next time someone claims that nobody ever says that "sugar is the devil," I will link here.

Of course, this thread will surely be nuked by then.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Page 2 - got you covered.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

One person ruins it for everyone.
  • ndj1979
    Options

yes, but it will probably be nuked...
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Again, Sucralose is evil because it tastes like crap and the EBIL Big Food industry puts it in stuff so I keep eating it without warning. GROSS.
  • BackInTheSaddle13
    BackInTheSaddle13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The countdown begins for how long this thread will survive before it's shutdown for hijacking. :|
  • ndj1979
    Options

This is true, as I am also illegally growing and harvesting donut trees in my backyard. It's all supply and demand, yaknow?

where can I find these donut tree seeds?????
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    deanpie1.gif
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

where can I find these donut tree seeds?????

turner-donut-holes-large.jpg
  • duplicitous
    duplicitous Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    mrsmuzzy24 wrote: »
    I am trying to cut out my addiction to sugar too. Trying to keep it out of my house. I like the idea of the really good dark chocolate idea as a little moderation to pass the cravings. I might have to try that!

This works for me (see dark choc). But all in all you just have to want the positive gains more than the negative. Sugar is my crutch too and I am no fan of fake sugars myself. They taste funny....like someone dropped an aspirin in your sugar. :) Good luck.