Options

Replies

• berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    kducky22 wrote: »
    amusd.gif

Deer-popcorn.gif
    lol. Just wipe them out your diet...you need sugar, nah use honey :)
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Look, in the off chance this heads off a ten page gif laden argument, it's simple - if you find it difficult to resist temptation then keep sugary stuff out the house. If you can exercise enough willpower to moderate your intake then have some lying around.

OK now that this is out of the way can we spam this thread with cat gifs? :)

This cat has eaten wayyyy too much devilish sugar:
    Cat-Is-About-To-Reach-Its-Final-Form-Gif.gif

lol
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if you want ice cream, then eat ice cream; if you want a cookie, then eat the cookie..just make sure that you are hitting your calorie/macro/micro target for the day..

and no, sugar is not the devil.

All of THIS ^^^^^

I'm fighting the same fight.

Here's what I'm doing. (and it's working. I've lost two more pounds again this week)

1) I'm tracking those sugary treats with everything else.
    2) I'm allowing myself the occasional treat without guilt. Instead I'm celebrating.
    3) When I do treat myself, I pick one REALLY good treat from the choice of several over the course of a day. And I look forward to it. If you are going to enjoy something chocolate, then get the very best chocolate you can (In my case Hershey). Don't treat yourself with just ordinary junk when you do it. Then enjoy in MODERATION.

Sugar isn't the devil, but it certainly can trip up your fitness if not kept in moderation.

Jeff

"I'm fighting the same fight". Everday is a battle, and i always win!

giphy.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You know what cracks me up? People who will eat fruit because it is "natural sugar" instead of a say, a donut. Here's a tip: a donut actually has less sugar than a BANANA! Yes, it is true. And here's another thing, your body doesn't know the difference. Sugar is sugar. So eat the damn donut if you want to.

fruit sugar is better than added sugar..everyone knows that...

*sarcasm*

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    You know what cracks me up? People who will eat fruit because it is "natural sugar" instead of a say, a donut. Here's a tip: a donut actually has less sugar than a BANANA! Yes, it is true. And here's another thing, your body doesn't know the difference. Sugar is sugar. So eat the damn donut if you want to.

*sarcasm*

It's better 'cause it's natural! Like uranium and cobras.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

*sarcasm*

Well ya know...It's the fiber!! Fiber makes fruit sugar magic. ....I think...
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    anigif.gif
  • BackInTheSaddle13
    BackInTheSaddle13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jdarroch13 wrote: »
    Ps- I noticed a difference in my skin almost immediately, my brain fog is going away, and I feel so much better. Do it for your health!

I have had periods where I experimented with temporarily cutting out "added sugar" from time to time (mostly just to force myself to get a little more creative with how I used my extra calories), most recently in January, and I always feel the same. If I have brain fog (I don't think so) I continued to have it, my skin is fine and remained fine, and I generally felt about as a good as I normally do (which is pretty good!). Why don't I get the special magic?

It's brain fog for me. I almost go into a food coma if I consume too much. I can do fruit and a tiny bit of something dessertish from time to time but otherwise I get this blah fuzzy-headed nasty feeling. For lack of a better description, almost sticky feeling. That feeling is enough to deter me from going back to my Oreo sleeve (or two) a day habit. I avoid soda for that reason. I'm sure some people are fine with it but one can and I feel terrible.

Can you premeasure out the oreos, and then stash the container in a place so you don't see them? I think two are a serving, but I'll admit, sometimes its hard to stick to the two. I can do the mindless graze if I keep the bag next to me, but if I remove the bag and just keep a serving size out it's easier for me to stick to.

Troutsy,

At first I totally cut everything out of the house and basically went cold turkey! I needed to anyway because I could see how my eating habits were falling onto my kids. After some time I have gathered the will power to actually consume ONE serving size of Oreos. There have been a few times that I have had more than that and after my second or third serving I start feeling gross. Imagine that! Moderation! ;):D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    Ps- I noticed a difference in my skin almost immediately, my brain fog is going away, and I feel so much better. Do it for your health!

I have had periods where I experimented with temporarily cutting out "added sugar" from time to time (mostly just to force myself to get a little more creative with how I used my extra calories), most recently in January, and I always feel the same. If I have brain fog (I don't think so) I continued to have it, my skin is fine and remained fine, and I generally felt about as a good as I normally do (which is pretty good!). Why don't I get the special magic?
    Same^ Well, actually, similar^

I once gave up most sweet foods for Lent about two years ago and did well at abstaining from it, just to see if I could, really. I felt zero difference in my day to day moods, cravings, overall physical feeling, etc.

So I'm calling placebo effect on the people that claim the feel immaculate and 1000000x better when not consuming sugar.

That's what I think too.

As a possible alternative, when I first started losing weight last year I did have some silly habits, like eating a plain bagel for breakfast and then snacking based on whatever was in our breakroom during the day if I felt low energy or stressed or just wanted a break. That stuff was sometimes sugary, sometimes not, but always pretty high carb. What I found when I decided to cut out snacking and get back to regular balanced meals (meaning among other things meals with protein and fat and not so high carb as my breakfast), was that for me it did help me feel more even, less moody, less prone to crave food during the day (although part of that was clearly habit). At first I had cut out added sugar, but when I added it back in I continued to feel all the positive effects of changing my diet, so it clearly wasn't actually the sugar but the balance plus eating probably a better overall diet. I think a lot of times people change their diet pretty dramatically (often even more than I did) and then decide that giving up sugar or some such was the key, vs. maybe eating veggies for the first time in years or not regularly overeating.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

*sarcasm*

If I get bitten by a uranium-infused cobra will I turn into "Snakeman"? Kinda like this guy?

2ius31j.jpg
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

It's brain fog for me. I almost go into a food coma if I consume too much. I can do fruit and a tiny bit of something dessertish from time to time but otherwise I get this blah fuzzy-headed nasty feeling. For lack of a better description, almost sticky feeling. That feeling is enough to deter me from going back to my Oreo sleeve (or two) a day habit. I avoid soda for that reason. I'm sure some people are fine with it but one can and I feel terrible.

Can you premeasure out the oreos, and then stash the container in a place so you don't see them? I think two are a serving, but I'll admit, sometimes its hard to stick to the two. I can do the mindless graze if I keep the bag next to me, but if I remove the bag and just keep a serving size out it's easier for me to stick to.

Troutsy,

At first I totally cut everything out of the house and basically went cold turkey! I needed to anyway because I could see how my eating habits were falling onto my kids. After some time I have gathered the will power to actually consume ONE serving size of Oreos. There have been a few times that I have had more than that and after my second or third serving I start feeling gross. Imagine that! Moderation! ;):D

I'm glad you found something that works for you :)
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I would eat that sugar cube if that guy gave it to me :p

Finnick_Sugar_Cube.gif

Ohh yea so would I ... yum yum.... ha :)
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mm91lukBzw1qblec2o2_500.gif
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Look, in the off chance this heads off a ten page gif laden argument, it's simple - if you find it difficult to resist temptation then keep sugary stuff out the house. If you can exercise enough willpower to moderate your intake then have some lying around.

I felt the same way after reading this. MFP should really put all the sugar threads in one spot and have it flashing red because we have gone over this a billion times. I think the comment above pretty much sums it on the sugar/weightloss thing. Some people can eat a bite of chocoate and others wolf down the whole thing (I am definately the latter). Other considerations like how important eating "natural" are and the like are up to you. While I avoid artificial sweeteners as well I think that saying we KNOW they cause cancer is a little premature.
  • MrCoolGrim
    edited March 2015
    Options
    anigif.gif

giphy.gif
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SyzygyX wrote: »
    tumblr_mm91lukBzw1qblec2o2_500.gif

pomg.gif
  • MrCoolGrim
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

*sarcasm*

If I get bitten by a uranium-infused cobra will I turn into "Snakeman"? Kinda like this guy?

2ius31j.jpg

Not enough Sugar I'm affraid

giphy.gif
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For the OP, I think the advice about making the sugary treats in your diet something really special and savoring them was excellent.
    Sammy813 wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm REALLY trying to eliminate excess sugar from my diet bc that's my biggest problem but, I find it extremely hard! I crave candy and icecream all day long- esp when I tell my self I can't have it lol.

I'm reading this as you saying that your desire to eat these treats is causing you to go over your calorie limit. If so, I'd focus on budgeting them in in reasonable amounts and being realistic about what's reasonable. I can't tell if you are bothered because you continue to want a little something and can't cut it out entirely (telling yourself you can't have it) or if you are really eating it all day long in amounts that don't make sense given your calorie limit.

What I find is that if I know I can have a little something later and if I am keeping myself satisfied on balanced meals, I am not bothered by wanting sweets at other times--I just know that if I decide to fit in something I wouldn't normally eat I'll have to give up something else (like maybe my gelato that I would otherwise have after dinner). If that doesn't seem to be working for you, one thing you might want to do is take good notes for a week of when you find yourself craving sweets and the context and then think about it. For example, I've learned that I tend to eat office sweets I normally wouldn't when I am tired (bad sleep=feeling of low energy that my body interprets as hunger and poorer will power/self control). I also know that I get tempted when stressed (so actively focus on other ways to deal) or sometimes if I eat less balanced meals--upping my protein helped a lot. And sometimes if you've been in a habit of eating a sweet thing at, say, 3 pm, you will continue to want something then until you've broken the habit. When I first started this eating something else (like carrots) at that time until I learned I didn't really need to eat then helped. The broader point is that it's going to be specific to whatever your triggers are.

Also, if it's happening at home, make it harder by not having the stuff around. For me it's always work, so that wasn't an option.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif