jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    3zpH8Oy.gif
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Look, in the off chance this heads off a ten page gif laden argument, it's simple - if you find it difficult to resist temptation then keep sugary stuff out the house. If you can exercise enough willpower to moderate your intake then have some lying around.

Ten pages? That's nothing.
    Sammy813 wrote: »
    Splenda or anything with sweetnlow in it- I know they cause cancer

Medical sources?

I love how this ^ comment has a flag. Apparently asking for sources to a claim is abuse. Oh MFP

Flagged as spam. I can't even less than a teenager.

ewtfe.gif
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    anigif.gif

giphy.gif

Zjwo4h.jpg
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    3zpH8Oy.gif

Maybe some therapy is in order :p
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    anigif.gif

giphy.gif

Zjwo4h.jpg

50-cent-picard-gif.gif
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jdarroch13 wrote: »
    Ps- I noticed a difference in my skin almost immediately, my brain fog is going away, and I feel so much better. Do it for your health!

I have had periods where I experimented with temporarily cutting out "added sugar" from time to time (mostly just to force myself to get a little more creative with how I used my extra calories), most recently in January, and I always feel the same. If I have brain fog (I don't think so) I continued to have it, my skin is fine and remained fine, and I generally felt about as a good as I normally do (which is pretty good!). Why don't I get the special magic?

It's brain fog for me. I almost go into a food coma if I consume too much. I can do fruit and a tiny bit of something dessertish from time to time but otherwise I get this blah fuzzy-headed nasty feeling. For lack of a better description, almost sticky feeling. That feeling is enough to deter me from going back to my Oreo sleeve (or two) a day habit. I avoid soda for that reason. I'm sure some people are fine with it but one can and I feel terrible.

For me it's balance. Like when I started this I did feel a noticeable physical effect of eating sugar (or any easily digested/low fiber carb) followed by a crash, which is why the bagel was a bad breakfast (it would have been better with cream cheese and still better with some lox). But when I added sugar back in I did it knowing that balance mattered for me, so for example I'd have a bit of chocolate after lunch or, instead, half a cup of ice cream immediately after dinner. In a broader context like that, I didn't feel the effects. I also don't if I eat them after working out or some such (or at least I didn't when I ate more sugar than usual when on a biking vacation).

I also know the food coma thing from overconsumption, but I don't find that's a sugar specific thing for me (and I avoid it, of course).

To a certain extent I think people are assuming that they feel bad eating sugar because they felt bad eating way too much sugar. The first doesn't necessarily follow from the second. (Obviously some people do have more issues with insulin or blood sugar, so I'm not saying everyone, but if your reason for saying cutting out sugar was good for your health was that eating a whole pint of ice cream instead of lunch didn't work for you, well, my guess is that it wasn't really that sugar is the problem. And it makes total sense that the same people are happy eating sugar in moderate amounts, as when they eat a banana, and so probably people who eat sugar (including cookies) in moderate amounts are not going to feel this huge difference.)
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    giphy.gif

bbb2967b1918acbfd4398aac3cbd6d8e-bird-bathes-in-chocolate-fountain.jpg

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Of all the threads to pop up while I'm at work and being productive...

Someone bring me some donuts ASAP
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Ps- I noticed a difference in my skin almost immediately, my brain fog is going away, and I feel so much better. Do it for your health!

I have had periods where I experimented with temporarily cutting out "added sugar" from time to time (mostly just to force myself to get a little more creative with how I used my extra calories), most recently in January, and I always feel the same. If I have brain fog (I don't think so) I continued to have it, my skin is fine and remained fine, and I generally felt about as a good as I normally do (which is pretty good!). Why don't I get the special magic?

You have to BELIEVE in the special magic, or it won't come true.

gifstache.com_486_1342119522.gif

• PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »

Same^ Well, actually, similar^

I once gave up most sweet foods for Lent about two years ago and did well at abstaining from it, just to see if I could, really. I felt zero difference in my day to day moods, cravings, overall physical feeling, etc.

So I'm calling placebo effect on the people that claim the feel immaculate and 1000000x better when not consuming sugar.

I think it all depends on how well each individual body deals with sugar. I produce too much insulin, so sugar (carbs) really makes me feel like crap. People who don't necessarily have a diagnosed medical condition can also have a similar problem.

Some people can legitimately feel better without it. Not everyone is the same.

I think you're right. I didn't consider those who have different types of problems such as hypoglycemia. Sorry for my ignorance :(
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'd substitute for fake sugars like Spenda or sweetnlow
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

It's brain fog for me. I almost go into a food coma if I consume too much. I can do fruit and a tiny bit of something dessertish from time to time but otherwise I get this blah fuzzy-headed nasty feeling. For lack of a better description, almost sticky feeling. That feeling is enough to deter me from going back to my Oreo sleeve (or two) a day habit. I avoid soda for that reason. I'm sure some people are fine with it but one can and I feel terrible.

Well, I think that over-consumption of anything is going to make you feel terrible. Try eating a shedload of fat and see how you feel. I actually did that once back when I was doing Atkins. (I can't believe I'm admitting this publicly). I strained the fat from roasted chicken and kept tasting it because it was so good. I kept going back to it. I ate too much. I felt sicker than I EVER did from any sugar binge, let me tell you.

The whole point? Fat in and of itself isn't bad. Neither is sugar. OVER-CONSUMPTION was your problem. Moderate consumption of both of those things is fine and won't leave you feeling awful, barring certain medical problems.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

dog6.gif
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

dog6.gif

And from Dunkin Donuts too. You are my new favorite.
  • PearlAng
    Options

dog6.gif
    I got a chunk of a chocolate frosted donut with my lunch today because my SO decided he deserved the rest :(
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well, I think that over-consumption of anything is going to make you feel terrible. Try eating a shedload of fat and see how you feel. I actually did that once back when I was doing Atkins. (I can't believe I'm admitting this publicly). I strained the fat from roasted chicken and kept tasting it because it was so good. I kept going back to it. I ate too much. I felt sicker than I EVER did from any sugar binge, let me tell you.

The whole point? Fat in and of itself isn't bad. Neither is sugar. OVER-CONSUMPTION was your problem. Moderate consumption of both of those things is fine and won't leave you feeling awful, barring certain medical problems.

My brother once ate an entire saucepan of Hollandaise sauce because he thought it was some kind of cream soup. (Teenage boy mind: he came home, saw pan, ate everything, complimented my stepfather on his soupmaking skills when he got home and the last bite was going down the hatch...) He spent some quality time in the bathroom for the next few days, LOL.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My devil is salty, spicy, crunchy things. For sugar, try having something you really love that fits your calorie goals for after-dinner dessert or before-bedtime snack.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

dog6.gif
    I got a chunk of a chocolate frosted donut with my lunch today because my SO decided he deserved the rest :(

just break up
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    This must be the boredom thread.
  • PearlAng
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

dog6.gif

just break up

He based his decision on the fact that he finished his half of hoagie faster than I did :(