Why do people hide their food diaries on here?

Options

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I don't let strangers into my kitchen to see what I'm cooking, so I'm not inclined to let them online to see what I'm eating. That's just information for me. Just my 2 cents.
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    wow...such animosity, I was wondering myself...
    The answer to all your questions as to "why should you care?", well for me:
    1.I would love some inspiration!, when someone is doing well, I like so see what they are doing so that I can also try to see if it'll work for me.
    2. It helps to know I'm not the only one struggling sometimes, we all do, and when my MFP friends need encouragement, I'm there!, I have many recipes, and love to share my food discoveries, and I feel more motivated and accountable. I have come to understand MUCH more from looking at people's diaries!, I have made many changes due to this!.

I THINK THAT'S PROB ONE OF THE REASONS MFP WAS CREATED THIS WAY, TO HAVE LIKE MINDED PEOPLE WORKING TOGETHER!.

To those talking about strangers, crazed diet junkies or peeps with eating disorders commenting and making you fell bad etc:
    I have my food diary set for friends only, that's an option!, and you CAN CHOSE your friends!, and DELETE them if they are jerks...I don't understand those arguments.
    To those that are self conscious: I keep it real, I have never been ashamed to log ANYTHING I eat or drink...alcohol, eating like a pig at my Italian aunts house..ugh such good food!!!! lol!, we are not unique, we are all here because in one way or another we all had some bad food choices that got us to where we are, and we all will slip up from time to time, and if an MFP friend doesn't get what I'm about etc., then I will explain it!!. and if I have to, I'll just delete them!, easy.
    I must be lucky as I have AWESOME friends!, I have NEVER had anyone comment negatively on anything I've logged, I've always had great support!.
    I'll state something my husband told me a while ago that made me realize how ridiculous I am sometimes about my weight.
    I have always tried extremely hard to hide my weight, suck in belly, hide bingo arms with little over-sweater things with long sleeve or 3/4 length sleeves, wear only pants to hide legs, even in summer ugh!, anyway, I was in my room looking in my full length mirror after trying on a very short sleeved shirt that looked great everywhere else but revealed my arms, and none of my over sweaters/shirts looked good with it, they in fact hid the slimness of my waist and made me look bigger!.
    I must have been grumbling my indecision to wear the top out loud, as just then, my husband gently said: "Either with the sweater or without the sweater, you are still the same size, and nothing can disguise that, so be free!, who cares what people think!, do you think people will be shocked to see that your arms are also overweight?", lol!, yep!, he's an honest guy, sometimes to a fault lol!. but I realized that he was right!. These sweaters weren't like magic cloaks lol!, I'm fat regardless, I'm not fooling anybody but myself, and suffering for it!, especially during summer!!, so in conclusion: knee length skirts and dresses and t-shirts here I come summer 2013!!! LOL!, and I'm sure I'll look a hell of a lot more comfortable and relaxed in those clothes!.

I have taken that approach to my journey with MFP, I'm honest about everything I log, as doing otherwise would only be fooling myself :),so I'm gonna take all the advice and encouragement I can get off of here while I'm at it!, no sense in worrying about being self conscious!, I am serious about this weight loss and I'm going for it all the way!.

NOTE!!!: I am not saying anything against people with private diary settings-to each his/her own, simply giving you my reasons "why I would care" to see the food diaries of my friends, and why I decided to share MY diary,

BEST RESPONSE THUS FAR!! Mine is open to my friends (accountability for logging) and I also view their diaries to get ideas for different meals - no other reason. I've never had anyone give unsolicited advice on what I'm eating and thats a good thing because unless I ask for your advice, you probably wont like the response.
  • Rhonda21km
    Rhonda21km Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Keeping it private doesn't mean you are cheating or hiding anything. I had it open for a while, and decided I was tired of the lame and very generic "way to go!" comments every time I posted. So, I have completely eliminated it and now it doesn't even show up in my feed when I complete it.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I love reading people's diaries to get meal ideas, not to judge anyone. I don't lock mine just because I don't care if anyone sees it and it keeps me honest and on track. I think hiding what you eat is kind of unhealthy, though, but that's just my opinion. I know when I'm overeating I will sneak snacks out of view of the boyfriend and lie when talking about what I had, but that's pretty ED and maybe most people don't have that problem.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    IMO people don't share their food diaries so they won't feel judged by others.
    I share my food diary because I am here to get healthy and having it public allows my mfp friends to help me stay accountable!
    I suppose that may be the case for some... not for me. Not in the slightest. I also don't have my photo here. I think some of US choose to have a smaller internet footprint. Or at least choose not to add MFP to their internet footprint.
  • teehee1211
    teehee1211 Posts: 39
    Options
    I have an autistic child to care for, so my time is limited...so you can quit directing the attitude at me now...Thanks.
    :huh:
    Agree. That was a bit of an odd reply. Bordering on non-sequitur.

Lol agreed...kind've like a pity play if you ask me...

I have not one but two autistic siblings. My single mother took care of both of them (twins) with two jobs and managed to have time to lavish love on us all and be kind to others. Take note.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I've only just closed my diary after having it open for over a year. I guess that it's due to a few factors:

Embarrassment as I wasn't doing great and, whilst I might still be in my calorie allowance, my food choices went out of the window and I felt embarrassed at some of the crap that I was eating.

Additionally I was receiving a lot of helpful advice on my food choices with differing opinions on the foods that I might benefit from eating to help me lose weight but, after taking some of this advice, I realised that some of those healthy food choices actually stopped my thyroxine from working (I have an underactive thyroid) so I shouldn't have been eating them!

I just felt overall that it was time to stop whirling around taking everyone else's advice and to just focus myself for a while. I still value all my friendships and support on here though.

Paradoxically, I do like looking at other people's diaries- not to criticise or to give advice, but to get meal/snack ideas.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed because I like to keep private notes and I don't get any benefit from having it open (I had it open briefly the first time I was on MFP and it did nothing for me, I didn't enjoy it).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Why do you care?

What is the frickin animosity about? This is a forum, I posted a question, IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT I ASKED DO NOT RESPOND...Furthermore, Why do you care? is not an answer. Please start your own forum and ask that question...

So you're questioning others motives, but can't deal with your's being questioned?

It's a legit question - I've noticed that it tends to be the norm here to make diaries private, and the OP is wondering why that is the case. There's no need for anyone to get upset over a simple inquiry. So yes, "Why do you care?" isn't a helpful or appropriate response to the original OP.
    Actually "why do you care?" is also a legit question and the fact that she refused to answer it says it wasn't just innocent curiousity. Not to mention that plenty of people DID answer the question despite the fact that this is the umpteenth thread about the exact same topic.

Asking a question in response to a question is stupid. There are over 200 responses to this question so it stands to reason that the OP might not see or have the time to answer it. But whatever. Additionally, this is the first time I've seen anyone ask about open diaries.

Could you expand upon and support your thesis that answering a question with a question is stupid?

The reason I ask is that you're using an insulting label in respect to the Socratic method. The question was asked to stimulate critical thinking, not to obfuscate (as a politician might do) or be confrontational.
  • Kitteeee
    Kitteeee Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed because cocaine has calories.

Bahaha! love it, also love your pic :D

If you haven't seen this, you'll love it LOL!

'Dah-bibi-da-bibi-dumm :D'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR4lLJu_-wE
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I ask that same question when I first joined MFP. And, I received some of the same answers. My diary has always been open and public since day 1. I have nothing to hide. How can the MFP community support you when you hide your diaries?

Because not all of us want the entire community "supporting" us. I don't like or appreciate unsolicited advice. My diary is open to my actual friends so that THEY can support me, I really couldn't give a crap if the rest of MFP wants my diary open.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Keeping it private doesn't mean you are cheating or hiding anything.

Exactly, I'm not cheating or hiding. I record everything there. I'd be more likely NOT to record something if it was public and then I'd be hiding and cheating. I know how to be honest with myself. I know if I'm not, the only one I'm hurting is me. I don't feel the need to advise others on their diet - I'm no expert, what do I know about what might be best for someone else. I'm just here doing what I need to do for myself. For once in my life, it is all about me!
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Mine's open to my friends. Why is it anyone else's business what we do? This isn't group weight loss.

This! Mine is open to my friends only, we talk and encourage each other
    and discuss our food ideas and selections with each other.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I have an autistic child to care for, so my time is limited...so you can quit directing the attitude at me now...Thanks.

I have not one but two autistic siblings. My single mother took care of both of them (twins) with two jobs and managed to have time to lavish love on us all and be kind to others. Take note.

Glovepuppet was trying to imply that I have nothing better to do with my time than cruise people's diaries. I mentioned to her that most of my time goes on my autistic son, so I dont have time to do what people are accusing me of doing on here, which is being nosy and caring about what they eat. I just asked a question, and her response was snobby towards me. I will never ask a question on here again, since they have the lynch mob mentality, everytime I ask something on here. You can raise your eyebrow all you want about my response....@Teehee1211-And I don't know what you are implying by your single mother having two jobs and giving love towards you. You don't know me or what kind of mother I am, so kick rocks!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options

mmmhmmm

Sometimes I'm obnoxious. That's because, well, sometimes I'm obnoxious. I own it.
    ...but if you're rude to me then you're a mean ol' poopy head because my life is so much harder than yours, so you just start feeling guilty right now! ...or not. We can just run with me being obnoxious instead.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    BEHOLD THE DOZEN DUCK AND CHICKEN EGGS I EAT IN A WEEK!

Lol! I eat that many eggs in a week as well.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm obnoxious. That's because, well, sometimes I'm obnoxious. I own it.
    ...but if you're rude to me then you're a mean ol' poopy head because my life is so much harder than yours, so you just start feeling guilty right now! ...or not. We can just run with me being obnoxious instead.

This is what I got out of it! lol
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open because I like to show off and hopefully disgust people.

Ha! Mine works out like this too. I'm not sure it was intentional - but the same effects. :drinker:
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    because it's my precious
    must keep foods away from bagginsis \m/
    smeagol_zps87517096.gif
  • UrnAsh
    UrnAsh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Because I've come across some creepy @$$ people on here....