Why do people hide their food diaries on here?

Options

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm obnoxious. That's because, well, sometimes I'm obnoxious. I own it.
    ...but if you're rude to me then you're a mean ol' poopy head because my life is so much harder than yours, so you just start feeling guilty right now! ...or not. We can just run with me being obnoxious instead.

This is what I got out of it! lol
    That and that I'm obnoxious sometimes. It's endearing!
  • teehee1211
    teehee1211 Posts: 39
    Options
    I have an autistic child to care for, so my time is limited...so you can quit directing the attitude at me now...Thanks.
    :huh:
    Agree. That was a bit of an odd reply. Bordering on non-sequitur.

Lol agreed...kind've like a pity play if you ask me...

I have not one but two autistic siblings. My single mother took care of both of them (twins) with two jobs and managed to have time to lavish love on us all and be kind to others. Take note.

Glovepuppet was trying to imply that I have nothing better to do with my time than cruise people's diaries. I mentioned to her that most of my time goes on my autistic son, so I dont have time to do what people are accusing me of doing on here, which is being nosy and caring about what they eat. I just asked a question, and her response was snobby towards me. I will never ask a question on here again, since they have the lynch mob mentality, everytime I ask something on here. You can raise your eyebrow all you want about my response....@Teehee1211-And I don't know what you are implying by your single mother having two jobs and giving love towards you. You don't know me or what kind of mother I am, so kick rocks!

"kick rocks" is the same as "*kitten* off"..how kind of you.

I am implying that my single mother never used her circumstances (of having autistic children and a hard life) as an excuse or argument-EVER. Your first defense was that you have an autistic child, which in my opinion should not be a defense or used for an argument. My mother would never blame her kids for lack of time or a source of pity. That is what I implied.

Then again, not all women are strong.
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Mine was open to the public for a year since I joined then the friends I had didn't like the way I ate and deleted me. Everyone is different on how they eat, if people are going to judge you on how you are eating and its not worth to share if people want to act like. We are here to help and support each other not to be judgmental. :)
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to friends only, so I don't receive random unsolicited advice or opinions. <lol> I'm happy to open it (friend) for anyone who actually either wants help from me or needs to see it to answer a question I bring up. :)
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I have an autistic child to care for, so my time is limited...so you can quit directing the attitude at me now...Thanks.

I have not one but two autistic siblings. My single mother took care of both of them (twins) with two jobs and managed to have time to lavish love on us all and be kind to others. Take note.

Glovepuppet was trying to imply that I have nothing better to do with my time than cruise people's diaries. I mentioned to her that most of my time goes on my autistic son, so I dont have time to do what people are accusing me of doing on here, which is being nosy and caring about what they eat. I just asked a question, and her response was snobby towards me. I will never ask a question on here again, since they have the lynch mob mentality, everytime I ask something on here. You can raise your eyebrow all you want about my response....@Teehee1211-And I don't know what you are implying by your single mother having two jobs and giving love towards you. You don't know me or what kind of mother I am, so kick rocks!

I am implying that my single mother never used her circumstances (of having autistic children and a hard life) as an excuse or argument-EVER. Your first defense was that you have an autistic child, which in my opinion should not be a defense or used for an argument. My mother would never blame her kids for lack of time or a source of pity. That is what I implied.

First of all, I am not using my son as an excuse. I said I don't have the time, people are accusing me of having, to be "creeping at food diaries", nor do I care what people eat. I am a full-time student, so I don't have time like that...Whatever you talking about is irrelevant. You are just trying to make yourself look better and I understand that everyone falls short of your glory too...your majesty...
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I ask that same question when I first joined MFP. And, I received some of the same answers. My diary has always been open and public since day 1. I have nothing to hide. How can the MFP community support you when you hide your diaries?
    So very true, I agree 100%!

Sometimes the MFP community doesn't have the information they need to be supportive. There was a thread the other day about how a woman was criticized for eating 1000 calories, a number she and her doctor had agreed upon. OH NO, SO HORRIBLY LOW, SHE NEEDS HELP - until you find out she's older and in a wheelchair, thus being truly sedentary. Personally, I would get tired of having to explain that to every new friend I add. Sometimes there's flat-out uneducated members who want to criticize others for eating something "bad" - for example, too much fat, because they've been brought up believing that fat is evil, not knowing how important it is for healthy bodily function. You're not receiving support in these situations, just frustration.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Because I don't want people to see that I'm a cannibal.
    This gives me an awesome idea. I might create a bogus open diary and put weird stuff in there like "human liver casserole" and "two lines of blow".
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

First of all, I am not using my son as an excuse. I said I don't have the time, people are accusing me of having, to be "creeping at food diaries", nor do I care what people eat. I am a full-time student, so I don't have time like that...Whatever you talking about is irrelevant. You are just trying to make yourself look better and I understand that everyone falls short of your glory too...your majesty...

lol so defensive. You realize that pretty much this entire thread consists of people disagreeing with you and you, in turn, making yourself look like an *kitten*, right?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    This gives me an awesome idea. I might create a bogus open diary and put weird stuff in there like "human liver casserole" and "two lines of blow".

lol
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Maybe because they feel it's nobody else's business.
  • teehee1211
    teehee1211 Posts: 39
    Options

What? None of that made sense. At all.

How am I trying to make myself look better? I didn't even mention myself. Who's falling short of my glory and what glory are we talking about?

For the love of god someone explain to me what this woman is talking about...
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't feel any need to look at people's food diaries, so nor do I feel the need to share mine. I just eat what I normally eat, but use the diary to count down my calories. I wouldn't say I'm "hiding it" - but there's nothing to learn from my diary. :smile:
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Because it is no one's business what I eat?

^^This^^ it's no secret, but it's my food, my life. I log everything to track my calories to make sure I don't go over, I don't kid myself and don't see any reason why someone else in the world needs to be bothered as to whether I had an apple as a snack today or a cheese string.
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    @ OP - you still don't get it....the WAY you phrased the question is what did you in from the beginning. It wasn't phrased as, or taken as, a harmless 'im just wondering' question. It came across as an attack on people that value their privacy and you are being responded to as such. Those people gave you defensive answers and reciprocated attack. You attack them again in your responses and get more flak. See the pattern? Attack, get attacked.

Your responses do not at all reflect your chosen username. Don't go stomping off in a "I'm never posting another question again" 4 year old sort of way. Instead, learn from this and try to phrase it a little better next time, if in fact it is a sincere question and not just trolling. Or, build up your internet thick skin.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Glovepuppet was trying to imply that I have nothing better to do with my time than cruise people's diaries.
    actually, that wasn't me. your reply was to someone else entirely.

but feel free to keep on digging.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Breakfast
    2 bowls of blue dream

Snack
    2 lines

Lunch
    handful of booms

Snack
    2 more snorts and a side of acid

Dinner
    cow brain

Snack
    joint of Sour D.

Yummm

Edit: OP, you might want to try this! It'll definitely help you relax ;)

I kid, but in all honestly you should take other comments in stride-it pays to not take things too seriously
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I ask that same question when I first joined MFP. And, I received some of the same answers. My diary has always been open and public since day 1. I have nothing to hide. How can the MFP community support you when you hide your diaries?
    So very true, I agree 100%!

Not everyone is on the site for community support. Some people are using it as a tool to keep track of their intake, not for everyone else to keep track of it as well.

Agree. I know what I'm doing, and people on my friends list find out what I do via chat amongst ourselves and status updates. That's the motivation factor, the pat on the back from a friend for exercising.... none of my friends would be all up in my face that I didn't bear my diary to them. I'm accountable to me and me alone. As for the forums, well that's just where I get to learn how crazy the rest of the world is... I can't believe how many raging replies the OP has posted on here toward the people answering her question. Unreal.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Because I don't want other folks advice on my food.

Btw, the assumption in your reply to someone that those of us who keep our diaries close eat worse than folks whose diary is open is wrong. We may, however, feel more comfortable being honest when we do mess up.

Anyway, managed to lose 180 lbs with a closed diary, so must not have had too much cake.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. But I think it was closed for a while when I started and I had to switch it to open.... I think the default is for it to be private maybe ppl just didn't take the time to change it. I don't think it is as much of a shameful thing as most ppl assume... I mean if someone is eating like a crazy person then my assumption would be that they aren't logging it anyway... I mean isn't logging your food so that you stay at a certain amount of calories? Idk... I don't care either. Funny how other people do care so much... Your journey is yours and theirs (or lack there of) is theirs.
  • newmommyo2
    newmommyo2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people think its personal, but aren't we "fitness pals"? I don't know. I am nosey. I like to see what people are eating for inspiration. I like food, and I like variety. And I care how people treat themselves. I want to help and be helped. That's why we are here. I totally blunder and all my friends can see it if they want to, but it keeps me from doing it TOO MUCH!