Why do people hide their food diaries on here?

Options

Replies

• marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Mine is friends locked I believed. Partly because it's personal and I'm not really looking for comments unless I specifically ask. Lots of people have lots of different ideas on what counts as eating well or eating right, and no matter what you do, there is going to be someone who says you are doing it wrong. Eat more, eat less, eat paleo, go vegan, avoid gluten, don't ever eat blah blah blah. So I don't really want drive by comments.

The other part of it is, well whenever I have tried to change things in the past and openly talked about it openly to everyone (something I haven't done in a long long time) sooner or later the self appointed "food police" would get in my business and start critiquing my lunch and making comments what I should or shouldn't eat. Or if I'd save up for a treat..someone would say oh should you really be eating that. Its really no ones business but mine.

I've found that that sort of thing is really a trigger for me..call it baggage from a way over controlling father...and just makes me want to eat the very things i"m trying not to more than if they never said anything. For some people being "held accountable" does wonders. For me it causes feelings of rebellion and falling off the wagon... I'm much more likely to stick to plan I make where I'm only accountable to myself. If it doesn't work, I'll tell a friend or dietician or trainer what I'm doing and say..hey..any ideas.

Being on a public site and talking about this stuff at all on here and to close friends is kind of a big step for me.
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    I know a lot of people think its personal, but aren't we "fitness pals"? I don't know. I am nosey. I like to see what people are eating for inspiration. I like food, and I like variety. And I care how people treat themselves. I want to help and be helped. That's why we are here. I totally blunder and all my friends can see it if they want to, but it keeps me from doing it TOO MUCH!

No this is not why we are all here why can't people understand that. What the hell type of site have I joined. I am not in to all this hand holding and crap.

I think it's totally fine if you're not into giving/receiving support from members on MFP, but a lot of people do view this as a way to gain inspiration and support (especially if they don't have supportive people around them in "real" life). It's all personal choice as far as how deep into the community you choose to go. There's no need to be so negative about the fact that some people choose to get help from other people here.

Not negative, just blows my mind that people assume everyone is here for the same reason. I mean it is common sense to me that people are different and have different reasons for doing things.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Everyone can see mine!! Friend or not, It's not always under. Sometimes it's way over but I log everything any way. It keeps in check to see that and then to know that others can see it. The only time i look at other diaries is when I see a good success story and I want to know how that person ate, or I get bored with what Im eating and need new ideas.
    This is a great answer. This is part of support. Thank you!
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Some people are more private then others. When I first started I didn't have mine open. But then I figured it might help me be accountable because you can't hide what you have eaten. I mean if you don't lose weight it is kinda obvious something is missing in the plan. I don't see anything wrong with anyone who chooses not to share. I feel it is one's preference. To each his own
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Why do people hide their food diaries on here?
    Maybe because they like to play hide and seek?
  • TheNewLorrain
    Options
    nice tracker on your pic love Matt Smith....I know I know it's off topic lol
  • TheNewLorrain
    Options
    As I said before its a to each their own thing that being said there is NO reason to be hating on the OP for asking her question and to the person who said we aren't here for the same reason. Then I suggest you check the mantra of this website! And if you don't want all the hand holding crap as you call it Some of us NEED that right now in our lives. Sometimes I swear people would rather be hateful then to just get along. If you are not here to lose weight get healthy and be supportive then this aint the place for you sorry. Be nice or play somewhere else. This is MFP MY FITNESS PAL!!! Not MY FBOMB PAL Grow up already. This website is saving my life one day at a time. Are ya gonna make fun of me because I don't' mind a little hand holding and passion and a few hoorahs and atta girls along the way . I am going to do my damndest to support each and every member on this site whether they are on my friends list or not. ( Anyone feel free to add me if ya wish) Lorrain has spoken!

Lorrain from Maine
    Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    nice tracker on your pic love Matt Smith....I know I know it's off topic lol

IDK if this was for me, but if it was, thanks! If not, please enjoy the pic of Matt Smith in my ticker :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Mine had been set to friends only, but I just made it public. I couldn't care less who sees it, no problem.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    because people don't want any comments on why they aren't dropping pounds.....CHICKENS! lol...
  • TheNewLorrain
    Options
    off topic but love the david tennant animated gif my DD just got a David Tennant Fat Head yesterday......He now protects the house:bigsmile:
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed because I'm already pretty lean and burn A LOT of calories while deployed. Reading my diary could discourage some people since I can incorporate junk food and booze and still drop body fat.
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I make personal, and I mean VERY personal notes at the end of each food diary. I'm pretty sure my friends don't want to know how many bowel movements I had today :blushing:
  • TheNewLorrain
    Options
    I am amazed at how many Doctor Who fans are on MFP it cracks me up I am delighted I was just posting a comment to someone else about liking their david tennant animated gif this was not the picture I mentioned but it is lovely David Tennant is in my home...ie fat head poster life size. The new guardian of the house. Five am each morning my DD's alarm goes off her alarm makes the sound of the Tardis
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options
    I am EXTREMELY sensitive when people make comments regarding my diary. Someone made a comment about me eating a lot of peanut butter and it really freaked me out and disgusted me. I have serious issues surrounding food, and it just makes it worse when I know people are actually reading what I eat! Even typing this makes me feel uncomfortable. So there, you have one reason some people hide their diaries.
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options
    I don't like eating in front of people.. I guess it's the same thing but internet style?

EXACTLY!! :drinker:
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am EXTREMELY sensitive when people make comments regarding my diary. Someone made a comment about me eating a lot of peanut butter and it really freaked me out and disgusted me.

These people CLEARLY don't know how PB can help keep someone's diet on track. It's a much tasteir cal boost than a tablespoon of olive oil. :sick:
  • plt55
    plt55 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open I like to have friends that do tooit gives me new ideas on what to eat plus if at a stand still they can look it over and help me
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    As I said before its a to each their own thing that being said there is NO reason to be hating on the OP for asking her question and to the person who said we aren't here for the same reason. Then I suggest you check the mantra of this website!

So what is the mantra? It must be new because I never saw it when I signed up.
    And if you don't want all the hand holding crap as you call it Some of us NEED that right now in our lives. Sometimes I swear people would rather be hateful then to just get along. If you are not here to lose weight get healthy and be supportive then this aint the place for you sorry. Be nice or play somewhere else.

Thank you for being the MFP forum police and ordering me to get out because I don't use this site the same as you.

I didn't like the OP because she said people with closed diaries were "hiding", as if they're doing something sinful, illegal, and/or naughty.
  • TheNewLorrain
    Options
    if I am having a tough time deciding on a protein and not in the mood for anything in particular I have a spoon of PB it is the perfect fix