Why do people hide their food diaries on here?

Options

Replies

• barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Everyone can see mine!! Friend or not, It's not always under. Sometimes it's way over but I log everything any way. It keeps in check to see that and then to know that others can see it. The only time i look at other diaries is when I see a good success story and I want to know how that person ate, or I get bored with what Im eating and need new ideas.
    This is a great answer. This is part of support. Thank you!

This is exactly how I feel too. :) My eating habits are not influenced by the fact that I know others can see my food diary, as I could give a fig what anybody thinks about my choices.
    I don't have time to look at everybody else's diaries, but I do sometimes look at a person's diary who's posted a success story. I like to see what other's are doing to reach their goals.
    If anybody is interested in seeing what I'm doing to reach mine, I'm just fine with that too.
    Though it is not why I initially joined MFP, I do like some of the comaraderie and support that I've gotten and witnessed others getting here.
    I opened mine up when I was asking Sara and SideSteel for some advice a while back and I just left it open afterward.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Because I don't want people to see that I'm a cannibal.
    This gives me an awesome idea. I might create a bogus open diary and put weird stuff in there like "human liver casserole" and "two lines of blow".

ROFL!
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    As I said before its a to each their own thing that being said there is NO reason to be hating on the OP for asking her question and to the person who said we aren't here for the same reason. Then I suggest you check the mantra of this website!

So what is the mantra? It must be new because I never saw it when I signed up.
    And if you don't want all the hand holding crap as you call it Some of us NEED that right now in our lives. Sometimes I swear people would rather be hateful then to just get along. If you are not here to lose weight get healthy and be supportive then this aint the place for you sorry. Be nice or play somewhere else.

Thank you for being the MFP forum police and ordering me to get out because I don't use this site the same as you.

I didn't like the OP because she said people with closed diaries were "hiding", as if they're doing something sinful, illegal, and/or naughty.

I never said that people with closed diaries were hiding, I asked the question why? I did not make that statement. If it sinful, illegal or naughty, then that is their business. It boils down to the fact that you are mad because I asked the question to begin with. You don't know why I asked and you don't know me to say what type of mindframe I was in when I asked the question. But, now I know how Jesus felt, being persecuted by others...Geez! Anyways, you can go back and forth with this all you want because I frankly don't give a damn. And you can do what you want with this answer, including flushing it...
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    According to some people I don't eat enough and I don't feel like explaining myself!!!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    because its noones business but my own
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I did open mine, but then found myself embarrassed at some of my choices, so much so that I considered NOT entering stuff ... which defeats the whole purpose of the diary. I went back to private and committed to be honest with myself, recording every thing. My food diary is certainly not inspirational for anyone to see anyway ... I do hope to change that in the future. One step at a time.
  • AndorZensko
    AndorZensko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder why anyone would want to look at my food diary. As long as I write everything that I eat it will serve its purpose of making me look at it and own up to what I allowed to go into my body. But what purpose would someone have in wanting to look at my food diary, they are better off looking at their own.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering why is it such a big secret what someone is eating...Why do people hide their food diaries on here? Any answers?
    what i don't get is this:

would you think it weird if i put didn't eat in front of a window, ensuring any passer by who wanted to could check up on what i'm eating and maybe knock on my door to tell me what they think of it?

...why the hell would anyone think my food is their business? just because i choose to keep track of my food intake using a h:laugh: :angry: andy online tool, doesn't mean i'm in some way obligated to show my plate to a million strangers on the internet.
    i can't help thinking that anyone randomly wanting to peek at what i eat is a bit frickin' weird.
    But you show an exposed back.
    and i go out with my ankles on show too :embarassed:
    :noway: :laugh: :laugh:
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    As I said before its a to each their own thing that being said there is NO reason to be hating on the OP for asking her question and to the person who said we aren't here for the same reason. Then I suggest you check the mantra of this website!

And if you don't want all the hand holding crap as you call it Some of us NEED that right now in our lives. Sometimes I swear people would rather be hateful then to just get along. If you are not here to lose weight get healthy and be supportive then this aint the place for you sorry. Be nice or play somewhere else.

Thank you for being the MFP forum police and ordering me to get out because I don't use this site the same as you.

I didn't like the OP because she said people with closed diaries were "hiding", as if they're doing something sinful, illegal, and/or naughty.

I never said that people with closed diaries were hiding, I asked the question why? I did not make that statement. If it sinful, illegal or naughty, then that is their business. It boils down to the fact that you are mad because I asked the question to begin with. You don't know why I asked and you don't know me to say what type of mindframe I was in when I asked the question. But, now I know how Jesus felt, being persecuted by others...Geez! Anyways, you can go back and forth with this all you want because I frankly don't give a damn. And you can do what you want with this answer, including flushing it...

Jesus asked a question, got bad responses then flipped out on everybody? He was the one who said turn the other cheek, and let men put him on a cross for something he didn't do. If your offended, then fine... but don't bring Jesus into it...
  • RoseRoiz
    RoseRoiz Posts: 95
    Options
    My is open, I have nothing to hide!!! I eat good there are times I eat more than my calories but, there are some times I do not eat all of my calories. I am not here to impressed people I am here to be healthy and I don't care what people think or say!!
  • amaysngrace
    Options

Jesus asked a question, got bad responses then flipped out on everybody? He was the one who said turn the other cheek, and let men put him on a cross for something he didn't do. If your offended, then fine... but don't bring Jesus into it...

No, it seems that people are flipping out on me for asking a question. I did not acknowledge anyone on here unless they cursed at me, or said something that I did not say. I will continue to defend myself if need be, and this was not even addressed to you. That is the problem on here, that lynchmob mentality. People want to butt into a conversation I had with someone else trying to "gang" up on me. Anyways, like I said to whoever is listening, I no longer wonder or care why people post their diaries, people are too frickin hostile to even answer the question respectfully. And, if I got at somebody, it was because they attacked me first. But, of course, you are going to see what you want to see...and that is fine...see it by yourself.
  • Hotdawgnothotdog
    Hotdawgnothotdog Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Chances are they either:
    A) don't want to be yacked at by how little they eat.
    B) don't want you to see the dust that often times settles on it (through a lack of use)
    C) are embarrassed by how much they eat in a day.

I saw in a comment that the diary being private was default, so maybe, like me, they just don't realize it. You probably can't see mine because of that, but, if I'm able to figure out how to set my diary as public, I'll proudly show my diary.
  • Sav_Sky
    Sav_Sky Posts: 82
    Options
    I dont care if people see what I eat. I always thought people were eating weird stuff who dont share . I think its cute when people respond to what I eat. I never get any bad responses from my ice cream treats. Almost like it brings my mfp friends closer together in a way that we know more about each other which leads to better support overall.
  • Sav_Sky
    Sav_Sky Posts: 82
    Options
    Maybe they are zombies and eat humn brains lol
    Dont worry, an open diary person can be a smart *kitten* too
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I share mine with friends. You can make the most innocent comment on a forum topic and get attacked by sanctimonious know -it-all bullies. Do I want to open myself up to that BS? No thank you.
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    This thread is a perfect example of the reason my diary is only open to my friends....there are way too many people on MFP who are not here to support others, but only on here to criticize and disrespect other people. I just choose not to spend my time dealing with that mess.
    The open diary is a great tool for me in my weight loss. I get lots of support from my friends, and I appreciate that they take the time to read and comment on my diary.

This thread has been a great bit of bait for the ogres on here, and I appreciate that, because I so enjoy going down thorough the thread and "ignoring" the rude peeps :) The ignore button is another great tool on MFP:drinker:
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    As I said before its a to each their own thing that being said there is NO reason to be hating on the OP for asking her question and to the person who said we aren't here for the same reason. Then I suggest you check the mantra of this website! And if you don't want all the hand holding crap as you call it Some of us NEED that right now in our lives. Sometimes I swear people would rather be hateful then to just get along. If you are not here to lose weight get healthy and be supportive then this aint the place for you sorry. Be nice or play somewhere else. This is MFP MY FITNESS PAL!!! Not MY FBOMB PAL Grow up already. This website is saving my life one day at a time. Are ya gonna make fun of me because I don't' mind a little hand holding and passion and a few hoorahs and atta girls along the way . I am going to do my damndest to support each and every member on this site whether they are on my friends list or not. ( Anyone feel free to add me if ya wish) Lorrain has spoken!

Lorrain from Maine
    Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained
    watch your blood pressure there!

Honestly, are the grumpy people stopping you holding hands with other hand holders? Or are they just choosing not to join in? Is it really worth getting your knickers in a twist over?
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    But, now I know how Jesus felt, being persecuted by others...
    :huh:
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    :laugh:
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    :drinker: