potatoes good or bad

Options
15678911»

Replies

• MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes! So versatile, and I find them very filling.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    paulaviki wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The idea of a sweetener on a sweet potato seems ick to me, but that's why taste is subjective. (Don't get me started on the unholy sweet potato/marshmallow thing.)

Ditto this. I grew up thinking I hated sweet potatoes because no one I knew (literally no one) ever made them without added sugar or marshmallows.

Being from the UK I can't even comprehend putting sugar or marshmallows on sweet potato. It sound so odd, when you roast them in a little oil they are so naturally sweet they don't need extra sugar! But then as I've never tasted them done that way I could be missing something delicious...

No, you are not. It is very odd. I can't imagine who first saw marshmallows and thought "Oh, wouldn't these be good on a sweet potato", but I'll bet they were stoned.

with some brown sugar and a little cinnamon? damn right it's good...

better with the topping of pecan pie though...
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    jalarson23 wrote: »
    All potatoes are good, but my fav are the 'sunlite' variety. Got them because all the other kind at the stand had a green cast to them, and discovered they are lower-calorie gram for gram to most other varieties I've seen (and grown local!). The skin is delicate and delicious and the flesh is creamy and buttery before even adding anything. Had one for dinner tonight. Bake until the skin is crispy, just a little salt and garlic... no butter needed. Nom.

That sounds amazing!

They are! It's the best way to bake a potato anyway, but with their delicate skin and buttery taste they're just... I donno, so much better than a red-skin or russet.

For sweet potatoes... I have no idea why so many think they need more sweet added. They're already sweet. Same with carrot and to some extent, pumpkin (pumpkin needs a little sugar added for me because I have that 'all gourds taste bitter' thing and just a little masks it. WAY more than needed is usually added though). Something to compliment the sweet - like cinnamon - sure. But adding sugar? Why?

(and no I'm not afraid of sugar or anything stupid like that... just not into making a sweet thing sickeningly sweet, and recently figured out that's why I'd never liked sweet potatoes)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »
    What, seven pages on potatoes and no Samwise?

DraOC1o.gif

I thought that around page 2, but never got around posting the gif..

"Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew"
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Unless you're shoveling them down your throat from the moment you wake up to the moment you lay your head on your pillow, potatoes are simply delicious.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I had to look into this sweet potato and marshmallow thing a bit more, and found many interesting blog entries on the topic. Here are a couple:

fourpoundsflour.com/origin-of-a-dish-sweet-potato-casserole-with-marshmallows-with-a-greatly-improved-recipe/

and

blogs.loc.gov/inside_adams/2010/11/a-sweet-potato-history/

From the second:
    It is suggested that Henry VIII consumed massive amounts of sweet potatoes, especially spiced sweet potato pie

(Not really relevant, just seemed funny.)

and
    by 1880 Americans were enjoying some sort of variation of candied sweet potatoes. American cookbooks, such as the widely published 1893 Boston Cooking School Cookbook by Fannie Farmer featured a recipe for glazed sweet potatoes...

(I actually have a replica of that cookbook, so will have to look at it)
    By the 1910’s candied sweet potato recipes were wide-ranging in the United States, appearing in Martha McCulloch-Williams 1919 Dishes from the Old South and Florence Greenbaum’s 1919 International Jewish Cookbook....
    One of the earliest published recipes that uses marshmallows was in a 1919 booklet from the Barrett Company on Sweet Potato and Yams, which suggests adding marshmallows to candied yams.**(Nov. 2012 Update- Saveur Magazine, Oct. 2011, writes “ In 1917, the marketers of Angelus Marshmallows hired Janet McKenzie Hill, founder of the Boston Cooking School Magazine, to develop recipes for a booklet designed to encourage home cooks to embrace the candy as an everyday ingredient.” This booklet contained “the first documented appearance of mashed sweet potatoes baked with a marshmallow topping.”) A decade later, Ida C. Bailey Allen’s Vital Vegetables (1928) gives readers a browned sweet potatoes with marshmallows recipe.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I do admit that roasted sweet potatoes with a drizzle of maple syrup make a lovely dessert.

But, serving them as a side dish is a bit akin to those "salad" recipes that are nothing but sweets. THESE ARE DESSERTS, PEOPLE, NOT SIDE DISHES.
  • jcook0716
    jcook0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    One of my splurges is to cut a raw potato into wedges, toss in extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, no salt seasoning, garlic powder and cracked black pepper (maybe even some cajun seasoning) and bake at 425 degrees for about 25-35 mins until golden and slightly crispy edges. OMG. yum.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are delicious! They're a great source of vitamin C and B6 and also potassium. If you don't choose overly large potatoes, they don't have a lot of calories. You just need to watch what you top them with, because traditional additions like butter and sour cream have a lot of calories which add up quickly. A small 5 gram pat of butter only has about 40 calories, though.

2nd time today have come across one of your posts that is "right on"

I choose not to eat many and often stick with just the skin for the added flavor to the meal I am eating. I sometimes stuff the skin with the vegetable I am eating....OK...what I really "want" is a twice-baked potato with crispy exterior etc LOL

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fresh-or-dried-vegetables-potato-skin-only-baked_f-ZmlkPTEyMzMxMQ.html
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    <3 the potato thread and salad thread should marry
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I like to peel and slice up a potato, and then pan fry it in just a tiny bit of vegetable oil. Then I sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper on them and they're yummy.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Potatoes = GOOD! Russets, reds, white, Yukons, sweets - I eat them all.