potatoes good or bad

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are awful! They stole my car and kicked my dog!

badpotato.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    laurielima wrote: »
    potatoes good. what we put on them by the tablespoonfuls - bad bad bad.

I don't put tablespoons of anything on my potatoes, except maybe low fat greek yogurt (which I currently use as an all-purpose sub for sour cream, which I never have on hand). I do put a little olive oil and salt on them, is that "bad, bad, bad"? Oh, and sure I'll put a little butter on mashed potatoes from time to time (although as noted above mixing them with meat precludes any need for that). I don't consider butter in moderation to be "bad, bad, bad." In fact, fat is a satiating and tasty addition that is also needed in our diets (not that I'm at risk of getting too little).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jalarson23 wrote: »
    I used to think potatoes weren't that healthy to eat, but after actually looking up the nutritional content of potatoes, they are actually pretty beneficial. For some reason, they just have a bad rep in pop culture and sweet potatoes are praised in their place. I wouldn't sweat the differences between the two. If you are like me and you prefer a regular potato over a sweet potato, go ahead and eat the regular potato.

Check out the nutritional information:
    Google search for "potato nutrition"
    Google search for "sweet potato nutrition"

I like variety (and think it's beneficial), so happily alternate between potatoes and sweet potatoes, but I agree that the current pop culture idea that sweet potatoes are superfoods and potatoes are "empty calories" and "fattening" is puzzling. I blame over-emphasis and misunderstanding of the glycemic index plus the occasional bizarre prejudice against "white foods"--there has been a post or two here even grouping regular potatoes with "processed" white foods. Makes me wonder if some people actually think potatoes are processed sweet potatoes. Once upon a time I would have assumed no one could think that, but time at MFP has made me jaded.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    jalarson23 wrote: »
    It's that whole "carbs are the enemy" mentality.

I could understand this in the right context (too much bread maybe?), but a potato? Nah, a potato is fine. As long as you try to keep your diet balanced, you are probably fine. Then again, I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist. So where are the doctors/nutritionists and what do they have to say? This all sounds like the low fat movement to me, except they replaced fat with carbs.

Something something starchy things bad.
  • debtiffany_
    debtiffany_ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try A-1 on a baked potato, less fat and calories than butter, and delicious
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Just had a baked potato for lunch, with loads of cottage cheese mixed with garlic chives and a clove of garlic (cos baked potatoes are nothing without garlic imho), grated edam cheese, and chili sauce. NOM!!! Oh yeah, and some cucumber and tomato on the side.

Is it safe to say the potato was covered with LUV?

It sure was!!
    Just had a baked potato for lunch, with loads of cottage cheese mixed with garlic chives and a clove of garlic (cos baked potatoes are nothing without garlic imho), grated edam cheese, and chili sauce. NOM!!! Oh yeah, and some cucumber and tomato on the side.

That sounds delicious. WANT.

MamaPeach it was actually your diary that made me realise I can fit the potatoes in, cos I know you're mod carbs too, so thanks!! TBH I'm not even sure why I'd put them in the 'too many carbs'* basket anyway. I did go a bit over my carb macro today, but not so much that I'm going to sweat it. And it's nice to have another fab option for lunch. Scrambled eggs, much as I love 'em, can get a bit boring day after day.

*Please note I have PCOS. I do not believe carbs are in any way, shape or form evil, I just have to watch my intake.

You're welcome! I go a bit over my carb macro on my potato days too, but not enough that I feel poorly due to it. The taters are worth it!

And yes, isn't it great to see that even watching carbs you can still eat the good stuff? I'm going to start calling myself a SELECTIVE carber. I only eat the carbs I really, really like.

*Standard caveat: I don't think there's anything wrong with carbs, I moderate mine to manage fatigue levels from chronic medical conditions.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

noooo .. the glycemic index of a baked potato is nearly 100. You can significantly reduce this by adding butter, cheese, bacon, and sour cream.

ok lets do this guys suggestion., Homemade - Baked Potato, Fully Loaded W/Cheese, Bacon, Butter, Chives, Sour Cream, 1 potato 862 54 27 0 1,961 0

862 calories for what he suggests we eat w the potato.

If you think thats good have at it.

• urloved33
    Options

What?

I had roasted potatoes last night - I used a bit of olive oil, paprika, rosemary and onion. There was nothing bad in there at all. And they were delicious.

hers is better about 250 cals. Generic - Homemade Roasted Red Bliss Potatoes With Olive Oil, Rosemary, Garlic, Pepper and Salt, 227 g 243 44 11 5 48 3

but who eats that kind of calories for a side dish. i dont'

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

noooo .. the glycemic index of a baked potato is nearly 100. You can significantly reduce this by adding butter, cheese, bacon, and sour cream.

ok lets do this guys suggestion., Homemade - Baked Potato, Fully Loaded W/Cheese, Bacon, Butter, Chives, Sour Cream, 1 potato 862 54 27 0 1,961 0

I guess it would depend on your calorie goals wouldn't it?

Personally, I just like mine with a little butter and some green onions and I eat it with some kind of protein source...but the above would be just fine depending on your goals.

When I was training for my century I was eating upwards of 3200 calories per day and still losing weight...something like this would be perfect in that scenario. When I did my bulk I was also eating around 3200 calories....again...perfect for those goals.

Context is important, you can't just pull a calorie number out of the sky and deem it "good" or "bad"
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Try A-1 on a baked potato, less fat and calories than butter, and delicious

Honestly, it doesn't take a lot of butter. 5 grams of butter is only about 40 calories. It's a small pat, but if you mix it around, the flavor spreads and it's enough.

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Please define good, bad, healthy, and unhealthy. Thanks.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

For me, I would define an 862 calorie potato as bad. Very bad even.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    kxbrown27 wrote: »
    Wrap a potato in foil and put in the slow cooker on low for 9 hours. That's the creamiest baked potato I've ever had. Then top it with salsa verde. Yum. Potatoes are good.

I just started cooking my baked potatoes this way and I love it. The only draw back is you don't get the crispy skin which I love.

I got to try this ..

my go to is roasted potatoes with olive oil, rosemary, and onion ....
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

What?

I had roasted potatoes last night - I used a bit of olive oil, paprika, rosemary and onion. There was nothing bad in there at all. And they were delicious.

hers is better about 250 cals. Generic - Homemade Roasted Red Bliss Potatoes With Olive Oil, Rosemary, Garlic, Pepper and Salt, 227 g 243 44 11 5 48 3

but who eats that kind of calories for a side dish. i dont'

You're the barometer by which everyone else should be measured?

• JoshNorris79
    JoshNorris79 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My potato meal:
    1 medium potato, topped with 1 serving ranch style black beans, 1/2 serving shredded cheese, light sour cream and louisiana hot sauce. tastes awesome and it's filling for around 300 calories!
    Potatoes are great, just fit them into your calories.
  • urloved33
    Options
    Ya know what....eat whatever you like. I am not the resident expert or food police. sorry
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i eat white/yellow potatoes pretty much every single day and its awesome
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

For me, I would define an 862 calorie potato as bad. Very bad even.

I think the point being that context is hugely important and that one can't simply say it's "good" or "bad" just because they say so.