• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I
    Who are they?

I eat potatoes 1-3 times a week.

I have just read that mayby its not true

Really consider the source when you read information.

I will I'm just trying to get all my info on everything right there is a lot to learn !!!

You're doing fine...there is a lot to learn, but you do have to be careful about what you read. Where I'm from, whole foods are good foods period...a potato is a whole food item.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    laurielima wrote: »
    potatoes good. what we put on them by the tablespoonfuls - bad bad bad.

noooo .. the glycemic index of a baked potato is nearly 100. You can significantly reduce this by adding butter, cheese, bacon, and sour cream.

ok lets do this guys suggestion., Homemade - Baked Potato, Fully Loaded W/Cheese, Bacon, Butter, Chives, Sour Cream, 1 potato 862 54 27 0 1,961 0

862 calories for what he suggests we eat w the potato.

If you think thats good have at it.

Please define good, bad, healthy, and unhealthy. Thanks.

For me, I would define an 862 calorie potato as bad. Very bad even.

Perhaps, but we are looking at an arbitrary potato there. I have no doubt the poster who suggested it went fishing for an extreme example. There are no quantities for anything on there, so we don't really know anything about this potato and what's really on it.

I do know that a medium russet potato, 1 oz cheddar, 2 T sour cream, 1 T butter, and 2 slices of bacon is 520 cal, not 862
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

noooo .. the glycemic index of a baked potato is nearly 100. You can significantly reduce this by adding butter, cheese, bacon, and sour cream.

ok lets do this guys suggestion., Homemade - Baked Potato, Fully Loaded W/Cheese, Bacon, Butter, Chives, Sour Cream, 1 potato 862 54 27 0 1,961 0

what serving sizes did you use for this?

according to the food DB a serving of sour cream is 60 calories...

• cwolfman13
    Options

What?

I had roasted potatoes last night - I used a bit of olive oil, paprika, rosemary and onion. There was nothing bad in there at all. And they were delicious.

hers is better about 250 cals. Generic - Homemade Roasted Red Bliss Potatoes With Olive Oil, Rosemary, Garlic, Pepper and Salt, 227 g 243 44 11 5 48 3

but who eats that kind of calories for a side dish. i dont'

I'm having a 270 calorie pasta side dish tonight with my grilled chicken...

A lot of people have different calorie goals than you do. I cut pretty easily on 2300 calories per day...a 250 calorie side dish is nothing. To boot, a lot of people do IF for which they eat all of their calories within a feeding window...some people just eat larger meals and few snacks, etc, etc, etc...

Again, context...
  • ndj1979
    Options

thankfully, we are not going by your classifications.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I think the point being that context is hugely important and that one can't simply say it's "good" or "bad" just because they say so.

Hmm, since 'good' and 'bad' are opinions I'm not sure that's true. But I understand your point.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Why are you making assumptions about how others eat potatoes?
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2015
    Options

What?

I had roasted potatoes last night - I used a bit of olive oil, paprika, rosemary and onion. There was nothing bad in there at all. And they were delicious.

hers is better about 250 cals. Generic - Homemade Roasted Red Bliss Potatoes With Olive Oil, Rosemary, Garlic, Pepper and Salt, 227 g 243 44 11 5 48 3

but who eats that kind of calories for a side dish. i dont'

Like I posted upthread, I had potatoes on Monday, they contributed less than 100 calories. Had sweet potatoes last night for about 125 calories. Seems appropriate for my goals.

Not really sure how you are measuring Nony's dish without a gram count or any knowledge about the amount of the olive oil (the highest calorie addition by gram by far)--you also seem to be assuming she's eating more than twice as much as I normally do when I roast potatoes. Hmm.

Edit: of course for me they are a side dish. For someone else, especially a vegetarian, they may be part of a main dish. Also, say I make shepherd's pie--are the potatoes going to get blamed for the calories in the lamb, etc.? (Not that there's anything wrong with lamb.)
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sometimes for weeks on end my lunch is a baked potato. I top with salsa. Depending on how ambitious I am in the morning, I may add a crumbled bacon slice, too.
  • troutrouter
    Options
    I eat a potato almost every night. One medium (145-150g) yukon gold roasted with 1/2 tbsp of unsalted butter (nothing else) and it's what I like and fits into my calorie count plus are a great source of potassium. So I say they are "good."
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes. Very filling.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Ya know what....eat whatever you like. I am not the resident expert or food police. sorry

There you go, now you get it.

the response to an apology is grace...which is obviously lacking on this thread. soo.. gb.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    Try A-1 on a baked potato, less fat and calories than butter, and delicious

A-1 is gross. (Yes, I know this is a personal preference thing, but blech.)

• MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »
    I eat potatoes about 1-3 times a week ... as long as you are in your calorie limit and macros its all good. I prefer real potatoes over boxed flakes, though (nutrition wise)
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    kxbrown27 wrote: »
    Wrap a potato in foil and put in the slow cooker on low for 9 hours. That's the creamiest baked potato I've ever had. Then top it with salsa verde. Yum. Potatoes are good.

I just started cooking my baked potatoes this way and I love it. The only draw back is you don't get the crispy skin which I love.

I got to try this ..

my go to is roasted potatoes with olive oil, rosemary, and onion ....

Just the way mom used to make it. Yummy!
  • cwolfman13
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think the point being that context is hugely important and that one can't simply say it's "good" or "bad" just because they say so.

Hmm, since 'good' and 'bad' are opinions I'm not sure that's true. But I understand your point.

You could have an opinion that an 850 calorie potato would be bad for me while I was in a bulk or training for a century or something and you would just be flat wrong...so i really don't understand the point you're making other than having an opinion on whether or not it's bad for you...but it seem like people in this thread are making a lot of assumptions about other people without having a clue.

It's relative to the individual and the discussion requires context.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

You could have an opinion that an 850 calorie potato would be bad for me while I was in a bulk or training for a century or something and you would just be flat wrong...so i really don't understand the point you're making.

It's relative to the individual and the discussion requires context.

Agree. But did anyone specify for whom the potato was bad? ;) Again, context.
  • NEWMEKELLIB
    NEWMEKELLIB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes chopped- tossed in coconut oil and jerk spice, with a pinch of stevia sprinkled all over....baked @ 400 for 30 mins or until tender.....AMAZING and full of vitamins!

you can also do sweet potato skins - with greek yogart as sour cream and low fat cheese and a pinch of bacon bits for flavor
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel like we've had this exact same conversation before, right down to the examples? Or has the sleep deprivation and coffee finally driven me mad?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    No, we have.

The idea of a sweetener on a sweet potato seems ick to me, but that's why taste is subjective. (Don't get me started on the unholy sweet potato/marshmallow thing.)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes chopped- tossed in coconut oil and jerk spice, with a pinch of stevia sprinkled all over....baked @ 400 for 30 mins or until tender.....AMAZING and full of vitamins!

you can also do sweet potato skins - with greek yogart as sour cream and low fat cheese and a pinch of bacon bits for flavor

why you would you put stevia on a sweet potato????