potatoes good or bad

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Just had a baked potato for lunch, with loads of cottage cheese mixed with garlic chives and a clove of garlic (cos baked potatoes are nothing without garlic imho), grated edam cheese, and chili sauce. NOM!!! Oh yeah, and some cucumber and tomato on the side.

That sounds delicious. WANT.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Just had a baked potato for lunch, with loads of cottage cheese mixed with garlic chives and a clove of garlic (cos baked potatoes are nothing without garlic imho), grated edam cheese, and chili sauce. NOM!!! Oh yeah, and some cucumber and tomato on the side.

Is it safe to say the potato was covered with LUV?

It sure was!!

MamaPeach it was actually your diary that made me realise I can fit the potatoes in, cos I know you're mod carbs too, so thanks!! TBH I'm not even sure why I'd put them in the 'too many carbs'* basket anyway. I did go a bit over my carb macro today, but not so much that I'm going to sweat it. And it's nice to have another fab option for lunch. Scrambled eggs, much as I love 'em, can get a bit boring day after day.

*Please note I have PCOS. I do not believe carbs are in any way, shape or form evil, I just have to watch my intake.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It does, and the advice about garlic is spot on!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals and preferences. I eat potatoes, but not often. The fiber to total carb ratio makes them a "sometimes" food for me.

I don't really like potatoes without quite a bit of fat added so the calorie count is too high to eat often.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I eat sweet potatoes!
  • exerciseforhealth
    exerciseforhealth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Eat the potato! !!! They are very nutritious and kept an entire nation alive during famine - leave the skin on, don't drown it in butter...enjoy the fricken thing; it's delicious. Get rid of the other processed shite that some companies try to pass off as "food".
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I've limited eating potatoes to once a week . they say there are alot of empty calories in them . anyone else eat potatoes often
    Not true at all. Potatoes are loaded with nutrition.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't really like potatoes without quite a bit of fat added so the calorie count is too high to eat often.

Yes, this would make a difference. I like them roasted with very little fat added, so the calorie count is quite low. For example, on Monday I had 105 grams of roasted potatoes for 76 calories. With some fish and veggies it made for a lovely, substantial dinner--most importantly, to my taste. Obviously, if you don't much like potatoes, no need to worry about whether they are healthy or not. (That's why I never worry about the health benefits of rice, it usually bores me as a side dish.)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    potatoes good. what we put on them by the tablespoonfuls - bad bad bad.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    laurielima wrote: »

Personally, I find this a little simplistic and misleading. There have been tons of great suggestions in this thread for things to put on potatoes that are not "bad, bad, bad." If the toppings fit in your calorie and nutrition goals then they're fine. If not, there are plenty of other toppings that might (assuming you want or need to top your potatoes, of course).
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

What?

I had roasted potatoes last night - I used a bit of olive oil, paprika, rosemary and onion. There was nothing bad in there at all. And they were delicious.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I was surprised to find out that potatoes have a terrifying amount of Vitamin C. Try baking an orange and topping with caramelized onions...
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

noooo .. the glycemic index of a baked potato is nearly 100. You can significantly reduce this by adding butter, cheese, bacon, and sour cream.
  • racheljacobsen
    racheljacobsen Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    kxbrown27 wrote: »
    Wrap a potato in foil and put in the slow cooker on low for 9 hours. That's the creamiest baked potato I've ever had. Then top it with salsa verde. Yum. Potatoes are good.

I just started cooking my baked potatoes this way and I love it. The only draw back is you don't get the crispy skin which I love.

• princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I eat sweet potates daily on the meal plan my trainer set up for me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - how many "is this bad" posts are you going to post?
    -
    Potatoes are not bad for you. Excess calories are.

end of thread/
  • jalarson23
    jalarson23 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I used to think potatoes weren't that healthy to eat, but after actually looking up the nutritional content of potatoes, they are actually pretty beneficial. For some reason, they just have a bad rep in pop culture and sweet potatoes are praised in their place. I wouldn't sweat the differences between the two. If you are like me and you prefer a regular potato over a sweet potato, go ahead and eat the regular potato.

Check out the nutritional information:
    Google search for "potato nutrition"
    Google search for "sweet potato nutrition"
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    It's that whole "carbs are the enemy" mentality.
  • jalarson23
    jalarson23 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's that whole "carbs are the enemy" mentality.

I could understand this in the right context (too much bread maybe?), but a potato? Nah, a potato is fine. As long as you try to keep your diet balanced, you are probably fine. Then again, I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist. So where are the doctors/nutritionists and what do they have to say? This all sounds like the low fat movement to me, except they replaced fat with carbs.