potatoes good or bad

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    It really depends on your goals and preferences. I eat potatoes, but not often. The fiber to total carb ratio makes them a "sometimes" food for me.

I don't really like potatoes without quite a bit of fat added so the calorie count is too high to eat often.

This is another of the reasons I hadn't had any, then it occurred to me that mixing the garlic that usually goes in my butter with cottage cheese might do the trick, and sure enough it did. May not work for you, but turns out I am all about the garlic part of the garlic butter (which is not to say I don't think butter is the bomb or that I can work it in, just didn't want to for that meal).

I love cottage cheese but honestly the thought of putting it on a potato does not sound appealing. I don't see any reason to try to find lower fat ways to eat a potato. I'm fine with having them occasionally.

yeah, I love cottage cheese but not on a potato. I do put Fage 0% greek yogurt on mine in lieu of sour cream. It's a good protein boost and gives that creaminess that you might miss on a dry potato.

Of course, if you are looking to push up into your fat macro, full fat greek yogurt is also good.

The last thing I need is to push up my fat macro. :\
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals and preferences. I eat potatoes, but not often. The fiber to total carb ratio makes them a "sometimes" food for me.

I don't really like potatoes without quite a bit of fat added so the calorie count is too high to eat often.

This is another of the reasons I hadn't had any, then it occurred to me that mixing the garlic that usually goes in my butter with cottage cheese might do the trick, and sure enough it did. May not work for you, but turns out I am all about the garlic part of the garlic butter (which is not to say I don't think butter is the bomb or that I can work it in, just didn't want to for that meal).

I love cottage cheese but honestly the thought of putting it on a potato does not sound appealing. I don't see any reason to try to find lower fat ways to eat a potato. I'm fine with having them occasionally.

I never intentionally put cottage cheese on a potato (I do occasionally dip them in the Fage, but I mostly don't like baked potatoes as much as roasted, so I don't put stuff on them). However, I have to admit that I don't at all mind if I'm eating cottage cheese and it gets on the potato--the combination seems tasty to me.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    No, we have.

The idea of a sweetener on a sweet potato seems ick to me, but that's why taste is subjective. (Don't get me started on the unholy sweet potato/marshmallow thing.)

Loads of butter, brown sugar AND colorful mini marshmallows.

And now we can get Peeps into this thread, too.

7058839451_fc59fc69c41.jpg

This is relevant to my interests... I make sweet potato casserole every Thanksgiving...

Not relevant enough--this is clearly an Easter dish! (I actually wasted way too much time looking for some kind of Thanksgiving-themed peeps to suggest, perhaps with the pilgrim garb or dressed like turkeys, but struck out.)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

yeah, I love cottage cheese but not on a potato. I do put Fage 0% greek yogurt on mine in lieu of sour cream. It's a good protein boost and gives that creaminess that you might miss on a dry potato.

Of course, if you are looking to push up into your fat macro, full fat greek yogurt is also good.

The last thing I need is to push up my fat macro. :\

Ugh, I hear you. I find the Fage 0% to be very creamy and satisfying, even though it is fat free. Bonus for the protein, as well. I mix chopped chives in and top my taters accordingly.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    laurielima wrote: »
    potatoes good. what we put on them by the tablespoonfuls - bad bad bad.

noooo .. the glycemic index of a baked potato is nearly 100. You can significantly reduce this by adding butter, cheese, bacon, and sour cream.

ok lets do this guys suggestion., Homemade - Baked Potato, Fully Loaded W/Cheese, Bacon, Butter, Chives, Sour Cream, 1 potato 862 54 27 0 1,961 0

862 calories for what he suggests we eat w the potato.

If you think thats good have at it.

Please define good, bad, healthy, and unhealthy. Thanks.

For me, I would define an 862 calorie potato as bad. Very bad even.

Perhaps, but we are looking at an arbitrary potato there. I have no doubt the poster who suggested it went fishing for an extreme example. There are no quantities for anything on there, so we don't really know anything about this potato and what's really on it.

I do know that a medium russet potato, 1 oz cheddar, 2 T sour cream, 1 T butter, and 2 slices of bacon is 520 cal, not 862

Besides calories do you care or watch for GI?

Wondering b'coz if you are forget about calories Baked Russet Potato has GI of 111 for a serving size of 150 grams.

Your best bets are to go for Yam GI of 54 for 150 gms of serving.

If you don't care about GI then don't bother.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Haha, I've been putting CC on baked potatoes for years!! That had nothing to do with lowering fat. I just didn't have the cals to spare for butter, so mixed my garlic with the CC. I got the taste I wanted without having to worry about needing to carve calories off my dinner later.

I have my fat macro set at 40%, fyi ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Haha, I've been putting CC on baked potatoes for years!! That had nothing to do with lowering fat. I just didn't have the cals to spare for butter, so mixed my garlic with the CC. I got the taste I wanted without having to worry about needing to carve calories off my dinner later.

I can't imagine cottage cheese replacing butter on a potato. But, I haven't tried it so perhaps I am wrong. I doubt I'll ever find out though.
  • GoGoMary4
    GoGoMary4 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use potatoes to get rid of leftovers. We have extra chili, veggies, beans, chicken etc. we toss it on a potato and you have lunch. With the focus on getting rid of leftovers we don't add cheese, bacon sour cream and all the usual potato toppings.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »

noooo .. the glycemic index of a baked potato is nearly 100. You can significantly reduce this by adding butter, cheese, bacon, and sour cream.

ok lets do this guys suggestion., Homemade - Baked Potato, Fully Loaded W/Cheese, Bacon, Butter, Chives, Sour Cream, 1 potato 862 54 27 0 1,961 0

Perhaps, but we are looking at an arbitrary potato there. I have no doubt the poster who suggested it went fishing for an extreme example. There are no quantities for anything on there, so we don't really know anything about this potato and what's really on it.

I do know that a medium russet potato, 1 oz cheddar, 2 T sour cream, 1 T butter, and 2 slices of bacon is 520 cal, not 862

Wondering b'coz if you are forget about calories Baked Russet Potato has GI of 111 for a serving size of 150 grams.

You're forgetting to factor in the fact that the Russell Potato with a GI of 111 completely changes once you add the cheese, sour cream, bacon etc. GI rating is based on the ingestion of that solitary carb by itself. Once you add protein and/or fat it changes.

beat me to it...

also, for an otherwise healthy individual it's pretty much irrelevant.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,952 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

You're forgetting to factor in the fact that the Russell Potato with a GI of 111 completely changes once you add the cheese, sour cream, bacon etc. GI rating is based on the ingestion of that solitary carb by itself. Once you add protein and/or fat it changes.
    Plus the fact that many potatoes are not as starchy as a russet. many have GI ratings less than sweet potato.....people like to use the russet though, it makes the argument more convincing if you are inclined to put any merit in the GI to begin with.

• daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I LOVE potatoes because they're fairly low calorie for how filling they are, plus there are countless ways to prepare a potato if you need variety. I eat a baked potato almost every night with my dinner because it helps me feel satisfied and full. I eat mine with a tiny bit of light margarine and my favorite greek yogurt ranch - that plus a protein and veggies usually ranges from 400-700 calories for the entire meal.

Sometimes instead of a baked potato, I'll slice & fry it in some light margarine and add some season or garlic salt. The same amount of calories as a baked potato, just delicious, crispy goodness instead.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

I can't imagine cottage cheese replacing butter on a potato. But, I haven't tried it so perhaps I am wrong. I doubt I'll ever find out though.

*sigh* it's not replacing butter. I left the butter out. Normally I would have both.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Guys, seriously. They didn't talk this much about potatoes in 1845 Ireland.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Also, nothing can replace butter. That's just absurd.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options

Except russet potatoes are delicious and yams I find disgusting.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    in honor of this thread I am having roasted potatoes with olive oil and rosemary tonight
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Guys, seriously. They didn't talk this much about potatoes in 1845 Ireland.

I gave up meat for Lent and don't drink anymore. This is all I have for St. Patrick's Day, so lay off my potatoes! Don't leave me with just some dyed green bagel.