smorris142896 Posts: 40 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    There's no pill for that can replace personal accountability. Pills are a crutch and an unhealthy crutch at that.

A fan of the rhythm method, eh?
  • alimauer
    alimauer Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    busseybl wrote: »
    I'm trying to eat no more than 1200 cal a day, and then burning as many as I can (shoot for 700/day). I haven't felt like I was "starving" or "fatigued" at all. If I did feel that way, OBVIOUSLY I would eat more. I listen to my body.

I work a desk job so throughout the day, I simply do not need to eat a ton to keep myself going. I eat mostly lean protein and vegetables, so my calorie count isn't that high. I can eat an entire bowl of broccoli and it's only 100 calories and that's A LOT of food. I usually eat a small snack before my workout (like a Z Bar or something), and I'm perfectly fine.

This is not the correct way to go about it and that is why you are hungry.

If your target is 1200 a day (that's already at a deficit) and you burn 500, you need to eat back some of those calories. I shoot for 50%. Otherwise, you are running at an unhealthy deficit.

Working a desk job is irrelevant as that is already taken into consideration to come up with the 1200 calorie target.

So, if I shoot for 1500 calories and burn 500 (just an example), I will still keep losing weight? I've only been losing about 2-3 lbs a week, so I haven't felt like what I was doing is unhealthy.

You are supposed to eat the calories you burned off while working out. Myfitnesspal has already made your daily calories at a deficit. so if you sat on your butt all day you could still eat 1200 calories and lose your 2 pounds or whatever a week. So if you are burning 700 calories running and you already ate 1200 calories for the day....you just earned 700 calories to eat! You burned then so you are trying to get a. Total of 1200 with or with out working out.
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I think you need to re-evaluate your relationship with calorie counting - and food in general. Seriously, if you think you need to cut even more than my response is...seek professional help to understand why that is.

Thank you! I'm reading this thread like WUT?
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lindsey852 wrote: »
    Ive been doing this fitness pal thing for 51 days in a row. But I felt like I needed a little help with what I was doing. So I went to the dr and she prescribed me a suppressant called phentermine 37.5 its def boost your metabolism and you don't or should I say I don't eat much with taken it. I went to my two weeks check up to see how its helping me and I lost 7 lbs in twp weeks on top of low carb high protein diet and exercise idk where those lbs went but thats what I lost so far on those pills . I only consume about 5-800 calories a day cause when I work my butt off I geel guilty putting anything in my mouth but water. :)

Changed my mind. Think i need to not say what I think on this. Tis why I deleted this comment. But Peace and Health to you.

• Marianne802
    Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I found the best appitite suppressant is exercise. Just had a workout at the gym. Before the gym I was starving, thought I'd get my workout out of the way and then go home and have lunch. After my workout I was not hungry at all.

Doesn't work for swimming though. Seem to be hungrier after doing laps.

Honestly. I've been on the prescription appitite suppressent "Phentermine" twice. The first time for 3 months, lost 6kg then my weight came back. Your body builds up a tolerance to most drugs and then they stop working. The second time I tried it 3 years later, I still had that tolerance. Did absolutely nothing but make me feel lethargic and tired. And unfortunately when I'm tired I like to eat.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    phyllb wrote: »
    After reading the thread, I suspect that you are too focused on calories alone. Are you getting enough protein, fat and fiber? These are the things that will keep you feeling full.

By low-calorie snacks, do you mean things like 100-calorie snack packs? Those kinds of foods are just empty calories--they won't really help to keep you full. A better choice would be something with protein/fat/fiber. Examples: an apple with a little peanut butter; yogurt and a pear, cherries, etc.; a handful of nuts and a small piece of cheese; hummus and some veggies (carrots, red pepper, pea pods...you get the idea.

Hydration is really important too--if you are active, you may need more than 8 glasses of water a day.

Are you eating a substantial breakfast? This can really help to keep away the urge to snack later in the day.

There are some healthy 100 cal snacks, for example I use one with almonds and raisins and sunflower seeds, the packaging lets me stop, it's a great option, nature source lite extra

Oh cool, I didn't know that! I was thinking of the ones that are cookies or crackers and such.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    This forum is actually helpful to me. I will start trying to eat more, but if I'm full of low calorie veggies, I don't see why I need to add higher calories foods to get my counts up. Maybe I'll try doubling my protein and lowering my veggie consumption to get more calories in.

Just a quick tip from a random.

I found that I started losing MORE weight when I upped my calories a bit. I started out like you. Wanted to net out around 900. Guess who burned out, gained back the weight in 45 days, plus an extra 15 pounds? Yep, me!

I've been losing weight steadily, and easily, aiming for a net of 1600 a day. I usually eat closer to 1400 a day. If I burn a few hundred exercising, I eat a little more. I get being full of lower calorie veggies, but your diary doesn't indicate that you're eating much of anything, including low calorie veggies. I'd suggest adding in some high-nutrient foods that won't fill you up much. An avocado is LOADED with healthy fats and nutrients and packs a couple hundred calories. A handful of nuts? A couple hundred calories. A serving of peanut butter (I prefer mine licked right off the spoon) is a couple hundred calories. Consider greek yogurt for high-protein-low-impact (as far as filling-ness) snacks. Your food diary doesn't indicate that you eat enough to need an appetite suppressant. You just need to let yourself consume more. You will be healthier long term if you eat a net of 1200-1600 calories, and you'll still lose weight steadily, in a more healthy manner.

Please trust all these people who are telling you to eat more. They aren't being snarky. MFP has been so much different than other internet forums. These people actually WANT you to succeed.

Big hugs. I hope you succeed, and don't hurt your lovely self in the process. Message me if you need a friend.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    What are these pills meant to do? Make it so you don't feel hungry? As in the feeling of hunger in your stomach?

I don't think I have ever felt hungry enough to think hey I need a pill to stop this.

Maybe I am missing something here.

not like it's pain, it's just a feeling.
  • Marianne802
    Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    What are these pills meant to do? Make it so you don't feel hungry? As in the feeling of hunger in your stomach?

I don't think I have ever felt hungry enough to think hey I need a pill to stop this.

Maybe I am missing something here.

not like it's pain, it's just a feeling.

The prescription appetite suppressant Phentermine triggers the fight/flight response in the brain, thus shutting off/restricting blood flow to unimportant parts of the body, such as stomach, and bowls (constipation) and redirecting it to those parts necessary for fleeing or fighting.

Initially it does work, don't eat, exercise all day (it was fantastic for house work, my windows were sparkling clean. Should have kept the packet for spring cleaning sessions), however your body soon realises "hey, lot of anxiety here for nothing, these not danger, can't sustain this for too long, might just introduce some other hormone to counteract it" and so you body builds the life long tolerance.

This is one of the reasons, aside from some possible nasty adverse reactions, that there isn't a successful, safe, long term drug out there, yet. The body is just too efficient at adapting.

I learnt all this from hours of research during the long sleepless nights whilsts tanking the dug. At the end of 3 months I was nearly looping. One day I realised, hey, I have go get in the car and pick up my kids. Not a good combination, looping and driving.

Who knows, maybe one day. Still looking.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    cathipa wrote:
    Phentermine is controlled by a physician with a very strict diet plan only lasting a few weeks.
    False. I used it for several months, and my doctor didn't say anything about what I should eat, though we did discuss calorie goals.

prminx wrote:
    Pills are a crutch and an unhealthy crutch at that.
    I suppose you'd tell someone in pain that too, right? You can't have tylenol, or imitrex, or morphine because it's an unhealthy crutch. Just learn to control the pain, or live with it. Do you understand how outrageous that idea is??

Hunger is a type of pain. If someone is constantly hungry, it's going to be agonizing to impossible for them to control their intake enough to lose weight.
    Getting the hunger under control allows a person to learn to eat normal, healthy portions & be satisfied with them.
    prminx wrote:
    do it the right way. Then, you can own and enjoy your success.
    The right way is to eat less & move more.
    Making someone not be ravenous allows them to accomplish the first part of that.
    The pill did nothing else for me - it did not burn fat, it did not go to the gym, it only allowed me to not be excessively hungry. And that's all it will do for anyone.
    I am very happy that it reset my hunger to what my doctor tells me is a normal level, so that even when I'm not taking it I'm no longer ravenous all the time.

_I_ lost the weight. Me. I controlled what I ate, I went to the gym, I lost the weight.
    51637601.png

WOW way to make a leap. I never meant pain pills are crutch. FFS. MFP, never change.

Appetite suppressants are a crutch IMHO. She's hungry because she isn't eating enough.

And, of course the right way is to eat less and move more. And eat foods that don't leave you hungry. That's what I've been saying all along...
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    There's no pill for that can replace personal accountability. Pills are a crutch and an unhealthy crutch at that.

I have no idea what this means.
  • Bghere1
    Bghere1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    HOLY JUDGEMENTAL PEOPLE HERE. If you find a pill that works ( rare) take it. Just be responsible. Phenterimine was much to strong for me. Good luck in your search. I can't stand holier than thou if ya can't tell
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Bghere1 wrote: »
    HOLY JUDGEMENTAL PEOPLE HERE. If you find a pill that works ( rare) take it. Just be responsible. Phenterimine was much to strong for me. Good luck in your search. I can't stand holier than thou if ya can't tell

It's judgmental to want people to be healthy and safe?

OK, Proud judgy-pants, here!
  • Monikkigargar
    Monikkigargar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a good recommendation for an OTC appetite suppressant? I know a few women that go to the doctor and get prescriptions for stimulants and water pills, but I don't want to spend that much money (doctors visits, shots, prescriptions, etc).

I'm using TriAdelean right now, but it's not doing much in the way of appetite suppression. Have you had any luck with OTC appetite suppressants?

Thanks!
    PGX fiber supplements help yo make you feel full. might want to look into that.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Bghere1 wrote: »

It's judgmental to want people to be healthy and safe?

OK, Proud judgy-pants, here!

I mean, right?

Why use a pill when all that is needed is a diet adjustment. Oh....right....because it's easier that way.
  • PRMinx
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have no idea what this means.

Ok. So someone just explained this to me...

This might be the all time dumbest comment I've seen directed at me on MFP. Like ever. Congrats.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options

Oh, thank goodness. Kids! Straw Man is here to explain to us how appetite suppressants and oral contraceptives are the same thing!

• PRMinx
    Options

Oh, thank goodness. Kids! Straw Man is here to explain to us how appetite suppressants and oral contraceptives are the same thing!

Apparently tylenol and other meds, too.

Context. It's for winners.