Replies

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    sjrutherf wrote: »
    This is my third day on MFP.

I have officially been chastised, in red letters, by MFP. I didn't eat enough calories yesterday. I understand they want you to be healthy. I would understand if this was a common occurrence or something, but trust me this is rare for me! I wasn't hungry most of the day and I took advantage of it. Before starting this journey, I would probably eat a zillion calories a day. Ok, maybe not a zillion, but A LOT.

Yesterday I made such healthy decisions! I found time to take three walks during my work day! I work at a desk, so this is often hard for me to fit in. I also joined my friends and went to a casual volleyball league that I had been avoiding. I didn't eat the cake or cookies that were laid out at work. I didn't go out with my friends for ice cream after volleyball. I was so proud of myself! I was excited to complete my entry for the day. And then all I saw was red text and MFP telling me to make additional entries. I almost went out and ate the entire kitchen.

I was no longer proud.
    I was no longer excited.
    I just wanted to give up.

I went from being all pumped up to finally try and change things to feeling like a failure 2 days in.

If a bunch of red letters discourages you - what are you doing? Like really?

I'm a runner and I'm terrified of running my first outdoor race this year, like with all the people there watching me. I run at the gym. I push myself until I can't breathe anymore. After my long run last week my tendinitis was acting up so bad I was on a heating pad for about 18 hours to loosen it up. I was crying. I have had mornings at the gym where I couldn't get to my goal, I had to stop the treadmill because I couldn't breathe and I couldn't push any harder. I cried at the gym.

I have lost 90lbs on my journey so far. I have had people look at me weird in the New Balance store when I am talking to the sales person about what's best for my foot shape when I'm running - they look at me like, you're a runner? Yes, at 5'10 and 250lbs I am a runner. I wear compression pants and it sucks me all in and I run, and I love it.

I have been at this since late 2012. It's been 2.5 years. You have to want this. And a bunch of little red numbers shouldn't discourage you in any way. If I over eat (and it does happen!) MFP tells me if every day were like today in 5 weeks I'd gain like 5 lbs or something. Does that bother me? No. Do I feel like I'm quitting? No. Do I feel like it was all pointless? No. I feel like it was one day and damn I enjoyed that ice cream or cheeseburger or fries or whatever and I'll do it again another day. Not tomorrow, and probably not another day this week, but some day I will over eat again. And I will enjoy it.

Stop making excuses for why you feel like you're giving up because you were "yelled" at by a website. If you want it, you'll do it. If you don't, you'll find excuses. You have to want this for yourself. You have to want to do it, every single day. It's not like eat "good" for a bit, lose the weight and then everything goes back to how it was. If you think this is kind of something you maybe sort of thought you might want to do for the "future" then you're in this for the wrong reason.

Want it and do it, or don't. It's that simple.

You must be a graduate of the Christina Aguilera School of Motivational Speaking.

I don't even know what that means.
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you're tracking your exercise, my guess is that you're over estimating the intensity thus the calories burned. This will give you a false alarm of having too few net calories. You may very well have taken in enough. I would just track your calories in, still focus on your activity but just don't put it into MFP until your diet is in check. Also, MFP cannot tell you how your body feels.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    To the OP and any new MFP'ers just starting on their journey, keep in mind when you see that message, that most people are eating more than they think, and burning less. For example, the poster who complained that it keeps telling her what she will weigh in 5 weeks, but hasn't hit that weight after 8 weeks, if you're not losing at the rate you think you should be, based on your daily deficits, you need to analyze your logging.

Either you want this enough to deal with things like getting an automated message, or you don't. Take control of your journey, and seize the opportunity to learn.

My "in 5 weeks" number has been off for the 3+ years I've been logging...because MFP doesn't accurately estimate my activity level. However, my own analysis of the data with an adjusted "without exercise TDEE" supports the accuracy of my logging, so it doesn't bother me at all.

TL;DR - a bad "in 5 weeks" number doesn't necessarily indicate an error in logging.
    I never close my diary, so I decided to last night just to see, and it told me I'd gain two pounds...

And then 9000 people liked it and I got emails, and then I remembered why I never completed my diary.

Lol!! I close mine and maybe 2 people like it... nobody ever says anything. :laugh:
  • laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I have officially been chastised, in red letters, by MFP. I didn't eat enough calories yesterday. I understand they want you to be healthy. I would understand if this was a common occurrence or something, but trust me this is rare for me! I wasn't hungry most of the day and I took advantage of it. Before starting this journey, I would probably eat a zillion calories a day. Ok, maybe not a zillion, but A LOT.

Yesterday I made such healthy decisions! I found time to take three walks during my work day! I work at a desk, so this is often hard for me to fit in. I also joined my friends and went to a casual volleyball league that I had been avoiding. I didn't eat the cake or cookies that were laid out at work. I didn't go out with my friends for ice cream after volleyball. I was so proud of myself! I was excited to complete my entry for the day. And then all I saw was red text and MFP telling me to make additional entries. I almost went out and ate the entire kitchen.

I was no longer proud.
    I was no longer excited.

I went from being all pumped up to finally try and change things to feeling like a failure 2 days in.

I'm a runner and I'm terrified of running my first outdoor race this year, like with all the people there watching me. I run at the gym. I push myself until I can't breathe anymore. After my long run last week my tendinitis was acting up so bad I was on a heating pad for about 18 hours to loosen it up. I was crying. I have had mornings at the gym where I couldn't get to my goal, I had to stop the treadmill because I couldn't breathe and I couldn't push any harder. I cried at the gym.

I have lost 90lbs on my journey so far. I have had people look at me weird in the New Balance store when I am talking to the sales person about what's best for my foot shape when I'm running - they look at me like, you're a runner? Yes, at 5'10 and 250lbs I am a runner. I wear compression pants and it sucks me all in and I run, and I love it.

I have been at this since late 2012. It's been 2.5 years. You have to want this. And a bunch of little red numbers shouldn't discourage you in any way. If I over eat (and it does happen!) MFP tells me if every day were like today in 5 weeks I'd gain like 5 lbs or something. Does that bother me? No. Do I feel like I'm quitting? No. Do I feel like it was all pointless? No. I feel like it was one day and damn I enjoyed that ice cream or cheeseburger or fries or whatever and I'll do it again another day. Not tomorrow, and probably not another day this week, but some day I will over eat again. And I will enjoy it.

Stop making excuses for why you feel like you're giving up because you were "yelled" at by a website. If you want it, you'll do it. If you don't, you'll find excuses. You have to want this for yourself. You have to want to do it, every single day. It's not like eat "good" for a bit, lose the weight and then everything goes back to how it was. If you think this is kind of something you maybe sort of thought you might want to do for the "future" then you're in this for the wrong reason.

You must be a graduate of the Christina Aguilera School of Motivational Speaking.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    To the OP and any new MFP'ers just starting on their journey, keep in mind when you see that message, that most people are eating more than they think, and burning less. For example, the poster who complained that it keeps telling her what she will weigh in 5 weeks, but hasn't hit that weight after 8 weeks, if you're not losing at the rate you think you should be, based on your daily deficits, you need to analyze your logging.

Either you want this enough to deal with things like getting an automated message, or you don't. Take control of your journey, and seize the opportunity to learn.

My "in 5 weeks" number has been off for the 3+ years I've been logging...because MFP doesn't accurately estimate my activity level. However, my own analysis of the data with an adjusted "without exercise TDEE" supports the accuracy of my logging, so it doesn't bother me at all.

TL;DR - a bad "in 5 weeks" number doesn't necessarily indicate an error in logging.
    I never close my diary, so I decided to last night just to see, and it told me I'd gain two pounds...

And then 9000 people liked it and I got emails, and then I remembered why I never completed my diary.

Lol!! I close mine and maybe 2 people like it... nobody ever says anything. :laugh:

You need some new friends.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a place of no judgement.

bawe ha ha ha ha ha haha

<crys>

know how I know you are new here?
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

You need some new friends.

I should start my own "I'm discouraged by mfp and its people" thread!! Lol!! :laugh:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think we should change the name from "My Fitness pal"to "You all have been judged Pal" YAHBJP
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So now the question is: has the OP not even come back to read the replies, or has she read the replies and run for the hills? :D
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Don't let that bother you. Just use it as a guide. You know you better than a computer! We all have days it tells us to eat more. Keep up your good work. It's a balancing act. More calories out than in to lose, but not so many you are in jeopardy. I just wouldn't make days in a row of deficit where you get the warnings! Best wishes. If you need positive support, add me.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's an app, it's not that sophisticated, it shows up like that for all of us, even if you eat a calorie under your goal. If you don't want to see it, just don't click the complete entry button.

MFP also tells me everytime i eat something that is high or low in cholesterol, when i go over any micro or macro, etc etc.

You've only been doing this for three days, if you want to succeed you need to reevaluate your reasons for doing this and your goal, you're getting discouraged over something so small so early in the game and there's going to be a lot of bumps in the road, as there are for all of us. Just keep going, don't get bogged down with the little bumps and youll be fine
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    csteuter wrote: »
    Hey, tough love isn't warranted. If someone is reaching out because they're frustrated and new to MFP, how about a little compassion?

That!^

I think you did great. It is good to remember not every day wil you hit you calories you will be under over or hit it.

You will have to learn to ignore it like everyone else. Now if you are regularly eating below 1000 thats a reason for concern. But you are making healthy choices and will learn how to incorporate more snacks or if you are satisfied then you are! By the way great job resisting temptation! Add me if u like sweetie! Good luck on the journey.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    laura3977 wrote: »

I was no longer proud.
    I was no longer excited.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Uhhh... yeah, over here, too. So I guess n=3.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    So now the question is: has the OP not even come back to read the replies, or has she read the replies and run for the hills? :D

Apparently she started a "mean people" thread. I looked, but couldn't find it.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    OP if you are still reading this, and I seriously doubt it after reading some of the thread, I get it. You just started and you were excited. You exercised some willpower and self control and instead of encouragement, you got "you are still doing it wrong". Then you made a post to just vent a little and its turned into a six page "suck it up buttercup". I will say, most of the people here are well intentioned, some have just forgotten how they felt when they just started, some don't realize how the written word doesn't translate well sometimes and some really are just crabby people, but that's life, right? You will be fine, you will figure it out and you will be successful as long as you don't let it get you down and quit. Good luck OP!!

Oh look, a White Knight.

How do you like me now?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

That's it, I'm going back and liking every single entry of yours :)
  • thursdayswoman
    thursdayswoman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    OP, I know exactly how you feel. I'm usually over, so the days when I have managed to be below and I get yelled at sadden me. My weekly calories are usually good, so I wish that the warning came at the end of a week instead of daily! It's a suggestion to maybe make to MFP directly.

It's all good. Just process through your feelings, pick yourself up tomorrow, and keep going!

(also, ignore all the jerks here who are acting so superior and holier-than-thou. There's a hive mind here sometimes, and you unfortunately encountered it.)
  • snorklr
    snorklr Posts: 28
    Options
    Hey sjrutherf
    Congrats on taking initiative to try to be healthier!
    Wow some people were a little harsh here, I think we need positive feedback.
    I get the stupid red warning a lot so I cuss at it and try not to let it bother me. Sometimes you really try o get your calories but don't quite make it.
    And i understand, you want to hit save because you want to see that motivational message of you'll weight this many pounds in this many weeks...
    Feel free to friend me if you want. Keep up the good work! :)