please help which breakfast ceral should I be eating???

Options

Replies

• marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Reese's Puffs, muesli or oatmeal :smile:
    you want something that will keep you satisfied, whatever your choice is.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Learn to read nutrition labels. What are your goals? Are you trying to increase protein, reduce salt, reduce sugar, or increase fiber? To lose weight, all you have to get used to is measuring out your cereal and milk to the recommended portion sizes.

Let's pick fiber because it will also help with satiety. My guess is that the cereals rank from highest to lowest fiber as follows:

1. Kelloggs All Bran
    2. Kelloggs Bran Flakes
    3. Kelloggs Weetabix
    4. Kelloggs Rice Krispies

Are you totally hooked on the Kellogg's product line, or are you willing to venture further afield?

I would also suggest adding another protein at breakfast to increase satiety. It might be a couple walnut halves, a soft boiled egg, or peanut butter on your toast.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i rather eat oatmeal but i love honey comb or nesquick cereal too

just pick what fits in your calories and is satisfying
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Bmmkxg wrote: »
    @PhilippaJoh‌ - Eat Oatmeal and blueberries: Mostly all cereal is bad for you. If you are on this website I am sure your looking to lose weight or eat healthier. I do not suggest eating ANY of these cereals. Did you know Cinnamon toast Crunch (as an example) one serving 3/4 cup- Have you ever eaten 3/4 cup of cereal? Not me, I use to eat like 3 servings or 2 1/4 cups. did you know in that bowl of cereal @ 2 1/4 cups there are 292 calories : 67.5 are from fat. Total Fat = 6.75 Total Carbohydrates = 56.25 sugar=20.25 and finally OTHER carbohydrates = 31.5 (what the hell is other carbohydrates).

Your best bet is don't eat cereal. Eat eggs, oatmeal, Greek Fat Free Yogurt with some blueberries. You'll feel and thank yourself later. If you want check out some of my blogs from nope @ nope.com

Happy Eating.

What's the problem with a 292 calorie breakfast that includes fat and carbohydrates? Or if you don't want all 292 calories, you could always just eat less of it.

Is your blog full of weird advice like this?

I just started blogging on this site: I am only looking to take qualified research and attempt to give out helpful information to people that think cereal or other food products are actually good for them. I didn't want to burden @phillipaJon with the semantics BUT Yes you can eat whatever you want; if you want to rid your body of fat then you must eat properly. Cereal is not part of a proper diet.

So just to fill you in a bit further with or example of "Cinnamon Toast Crunch", FACT: did you know ingredients listed for a product must be in order of most --> least. The first ingredients in our example: Whole Grain Wheat, Sugar, Rice Flour, Rice Bran and /or Canola oil, Fructose, Maltodextrin and Dextrose.

In this example 4 out of the top 7 ingredients are sugar, some form of simple sugar or a molecular made up sugar. I will not continue but I will post on my blog later tonight the ingredients in more detail and the effects they have on us.

Guys, I'm, not saying quit eating, but really understand what your eating and the effects its having on your body. If you can't lose weight maybe there's a reason for it!

What qualified research tells you that cereal cannot be part of a proper diet?

Apparently we'll have to wait and read about it on their blog later. Because views and hits and helping people as long as they don't actually do it here or something.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I try for something low sugar because it's something that I have trouble with anyway. For breakfast I look for a combination of fiber, protein, and fat.

Steel cut oats made with milk, add cinnamon and chopped walnuts.

Flavored Greek yogurt mix in Kashi Go Lean (original) add chopped nuts.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Any cereal that you want/like.

I like Special K Protein with 40g of raisins. Or sometimes Apple Jacks or Cookie Crisp.

It's all about personal preference and moderation.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Cocoa pebbles, cinnamon toast crunch, frosted mini wheats, cookie crisp, golden grams, lucky charms, resses pieces.
  • bodypumpbybob
    bodypumpbybob Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a little busy which is why I am not responding right away and, yes I did think that this was going to get a rise out of a few people >:) I like my broscience B) education is learning; its what you take away, is where the value comes in. Qualified research comes in many forms and the ones that I like to take away with me are the ones that have been research and proven to (some degree). As listed from the FDA; Your Guide to a Healthy Diet
    The Nutrition Facts Label can help you make choices for overall health. But some nutrients can also affect certain health conditions and diseases. As described above in my 7 first ingredients 4 of them are not good for you. (you can look it up) or I can do the research for you. Saying, cereal isn't part of a proper diet, might have gone out on a limb BUT i have yet to come across any research that says eat more sugar or sugar byproducts for breakfast.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am a little busy which is why I am not responding right away and, yes I did think that this was going to get a rise out of a few people >:) I like my broscience B) education is learning; its what you take away, is where the value comes in. Qualified research comes in many forms and the ones that I like to take away with me are the ones that have been research and proven to (some degree). As listed from the FDA; Your Guide to a Healthy Diet
    The Nutrition Facts Label can help you make choices for overall health. But some nutrients can also affect certain health conditions and diseases. As described above in my 7 first ingredients 4 of them are not good for you. (you can look it up) or I can do the research for you. Saying, cereal isn't part of a proper diet, might have gone out on a limb BUT i have yet to come across any research that says eat more sugar or sugar byproducts for breakfast.

Okay, so you don't have any qualified research that supports your claim that cereal cannot be part of a proper diet?

Do you think you ought to educate yourself some more before you try to educate others?
  • bodypumpbybob
    bodypumpbybob Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Apparently we'll have to wait and read about it on their blog later. Because views and hits and helping people as long as they don't actually do it here or something.
    [/quote]

I am here to help people! which is why I am saying if you are trying to be healthy and understand your diet then you really should be watching what you eat. I don't believe enabling people to keep eating the garbage that food companies put out on the shelves is helping.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    forget cereal, eat some BACON!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I am here to help people! which is why I am saying if you are trying to be healthy and understand your diet then you really should be watching what you eat. I don't believe enabling people to keep eating the garbage that food companies put out on the shelves is helping.

I'd suggest self-education is an important first step prior to attempting to educate others.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Educating - You aren't doing it right.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I am here to help people! which is why I am saying if you are trying to be healthy and understand your diet then you really should be watching what you eat. I don't believe enabling people to keep eating the garbage that food companies put out on the shelves is helping.[/quote]

Making unsubstantiated claims (cereal cannot be part of a proper diet) isn't helping people.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Pick what you love, so long as you don't love it so much that you have an inordinately hard time eating only the serving you planned on.

Ditto. I prefer Wheat Chex.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The FDA has come out against prepared breakfast cereals? News to me. Cite, please. Or be quiet.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    @PhilippaJoh‌ - Eat Oatmeal and blueberries: Mostly all cereal is bad for you. If you are on this website I am sure your looking to lose weight or eat healthier. I do not suggest eating ANY of these cereals. Did you know Cinnamon toast Crunch (as an example) one serving 3/4 cup- Have you ever eaten 3/4 cup of cereal? Not me, I use to eat like 3 servings or 2 1/4 cups. did you know in that bowl of cereal @ 2 1/4 cups there are 292 calories : 67.5 are from fat. Total Fat = 6.75 Total Carbohydrates = 56.25 sugar=20.25 and finally OTHER carbohydrates = 31.5 (what the hell is other carbohydrates).

Your best bet is don't eat cereal. Eat eggs, oatmeal, Greek Fat Free Yogurt with some blueberries. You'll feel and thank yourself later. If you want check out some of my blogs from bodypumpbybob @ www.outrunyourfork.com

Happy Eating.

What's the problem with a 292 calorie breakfast that includes fat and carbohydrates? Or if you don't want all 292 calories, you could always just eat less of it.

Is your blog full of weird advice like this?

I just started blogging on this site: I am only looking to take qualified research and attempt to give out helpful information to people that think cereal or other food products are actually good for them. I didn't want to burden @phillipaJon with the semantics BUT Yes you can eat whatever you want; if you want to rid your body of fat then you must eat properly. Cereal is not part of a proper diet.

So just to fill you in a bit further with or example of "Cinnamon Toast Crunch", FACT: did you know ingredients listed for a product must be in order of most --> least. The first ingredients in our example: Whole Grain Wheat, Sugar, Rice Flour, Rice Bran and /or Canola oil, Fructose, Maltodextrin and Dextrose.

In this example 4 out of the top 7 ingredients are sugar, some form of simple sugar or a molecular made up sugar. I will not continue but I will post on my blog later tonight the ingredients in more detail and the effects they have on us.

Guys, I'm, not saying quit eating, but really understand what your eating and the effects its having on your body. If you can't lose weight maybe there's a reason for it!

It's called caloric surplus.

damn science!

LOLOLOL

i eat the recommended serving of cereal all the time. and weighed on a scale, not in a cup. and my breakfasts are ROUTINELY over 200 calories- NOT eating cereal. everyone knows cereal is a night time snack, anyways ;)

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

For me it's very simple.

Choice A - Jumbo egg (95 calories) omelet, with sauteed onions, mushrooms and a little cheese (50 calories) for a total of 150+/- calories. Keeps me filled up.

Choice B - Honey Nut Cheerios. I need double the ridiculous suggested 3/4 cup serving. With 2% milk, it's 300 calories. And it doesn't fill me up.

As an added bonus, Choice A has no sugar and junk carbs. Choice B has plenty of sugar and junk carbs.

I will go with Choice A any day of the week.

What if the rest of my day I plan on eating a ton of fat & protein, so I need more carbs for breakfast to balance out my day's macros?

Again...context people. It's important.

BTW - what are junk carbs? Is that some mysterious 4th macro?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

For me it's very simple.

Choice A - Jumbo egg (95 calories) omelet, with sauteed onions, mushrooms and a little cheese (50 calories) for a total of 150+/- calories. Keeps me filled up.

Choice B - Honey Nut Cheerios. I need double the ridiculous suggested 3/4 cup serving. With 2% milk, it's 300 calories. And it doesn't fill me up.

As an added bonus, Choice A has no sugar and junk carbs. Choice B has plenty of sugar and junk carbs.

I will go with Choice A any day of the week.

Your choice. Sounds delicious. Doesn't make Choice B unhealthy!