please help which breakfast ceral should I be eating???

Options

Replies

• Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    a9d8107be3afe3ede013b6f7d4a5793f.jpg

7972990.jpg

Fits in my macros just fine.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    When I eat cereal. I like Nutty Nuggets (or their equivalent) with a half a banana or shredded wheat in one form or another, usually with warm milk. I hardly ever eat sugary cereal any longer, but when I do it's the generic version of Honeycombs. Once in a while I'll have old-fashioned oatmeal (the cooking variety) or Cream of Wheat. I do prefer an egg and toast for breakfast, but once in a while cereal is easier and just as good for me.

And yes, I weigh and measure everything and will often have the serving size suggested on the packaging.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I use to eat Kashi Go Lean with 13-15g of protein a cup. I found a cheaper alternative right beside of it that has less cal/fat. I eat healthy of the mornings =P

The last time I tried a Kashi cereal the nuggets nearly broke my teeth. Have they improved their formulations at all?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Bmmkxg wrote: »
    I am a little busy which is why I am not responding right away and, yes I did think that this was going to get a rise out of a few people >:) I like my broscience B) education is learning; its what you take away, is where the value comes in. Qualified research comes in many forms and the ones that I like to take away with me are the ones that have been research and proven to (some degree). As listed from the FDA; Your Guide to a Healthy Diet
    The Nutrition Facts Label can help you make choices for overall health. But some nutrients can also affect certain health conditions and diseases. As described above in my 7 first ingredients 4 of them are not good for you. (you can look it up) or I can do the research for you. Saying, cereal isn't part of a proper diet, might have gone out on a limb BUT i have yet to come across any research that says eat more sugar or sugar byproducts for breakfast.

For me it's very simple.

Choice A - Jumbo egg (95 calories) omelet, with sauteed onions, mushrooms and a little cheese (50 calories) for a total of 150+/- calories. Keeps me filled up.

Choice B - Honey Nut Cheerios. I need double the ridiculous suggested 3/4 cup serving. With 2% milk, it's 300 calories. And it doesn't fill me up.

As an added bonus, Choice A has no sugar and junk carbs. Choice B has plenty of sugar and junk carbs.

I will go with Choice A any day of the week.

What if the rest of my day I plan on eating a ton of fat & protein, so I need more carbs for breakfast to balance out my day's macros?

Again...context people. It's important.

BTW - what are junk carbs? Is that some mysterious 4th macro?

You can get your carbs from fruit and vegetables. And feel free to think that white bread is good for you. It's a free country.

White bread can be good for me. SCIENCE.

• bodypumpbybob
    bodypumpbybob Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @Janejellyroll

Okay, so you don't have any qualified research that supports your claim that cereal cannot be part of a proper diet?

Do you think you ought to educate yourself some more before you try to educate others?

I am very well educated on the subject thank you! We can always discuss your situation;

If anyone is interested in reading more about Whole Grains in food here is a nice article. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/whole-grain-foods-not-always-healthful/ as for everything else listed in the ingredients tell me what IS Good for you?

• exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I suggest you should take the time to read and compare some labels and decide what is best for you, meaning what are you wanting to get out of your cereal? At first I thought FIBER but then I remembered I have kids so I went with the cheerios multigrain one bc it has good nutritional value and is slightly sweet. I'm not a fan of eating high fiber cereals because they just don't taste good to me and end up in the trash or stale. I get my fiber in my bread, fruits and veggies. Good luck!
  • Jakefoster521
    Jakefoster521 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started eating the Protein Cheerios and although they have a bit more sugar than I like, I've found its a good breakfast to have if you don't have time every morning to prepare a full breakfast.

cheerios.com/Products/Cheerios-Protein-Oats-And-Honey.aspx
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I am a little busy which is why I am not responding right away and, yes I did think that this was going to get a rise out of a few people >:) I like my broscience B) education is learning; its what you take away, is where the value comes in. Qualified research comes in many forms and the ones that I like to take away with me are the ones that have been research and proven to (some degree). As listed from the FDA; Your Guide to a Healthy Diet
    The Nutrition Facts Label can help you make choices for overall health. But some nutrients can also affect certain health conditions and diseases. As described above in my 7 first ingredients 4 of them are not good for you. (you can look it up) or I can do the research for you. Saying, cereal isn't part of a proper diet, might have gone out on a limb BUT i have yet to come across any research that says eat more sugar or sugar byproducts for breakfast.

For me it's very simple.

Choice A - Jumbo egg (95 calories) omelet, with sauteed onions, mushrooms and a little cheese (50 calories) for a total of 150+/- calories. Keeps me filled up.

Choice B - Honey Nut Cheerios. I need double the ridiculous suggested 3/4 cup serving. With 2% milk, it's 300 calories. And it doesn't fill me up.

As an added bonus, Choice A has no sugar and junk carbs. Choice B has plenty of sugar and junk carbs.

I will go with Choice A any day of the week.

What if the rest of my day I plan on eating a ton of fat & protein, so I need more carbs for breakfast to balance out my day's macros?

Again...context people. It's important.

BTW - what are junk carbs? Is that some mysterious 4th macro?

You can get your carbs from fruit and vegetables. And feel free to think that white bread is good for you. It's a free country.

Why are carbs from fruit and vegetables different from carbs from cereal? And who is even talking about white bread? Where did that come from?

(tho there's absolutely nothing wrong with white bread....in moderation, just like all foods)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What I can't understand is the resistance to so many posters here to getting to that caloric deficit by eating more healthy foods, and greatly reducing the intake of crap. Not eliminating. Reducing. I will never figure it out.

Find one poster who is arguing that point. Nice straw man.

Do you know the definition of "moderation"?

The only person in this discussion arguing elimination (and that would be FOR elimination) is the poster you're quoting.
  • asdowe13
    Options
    @Janejellyroll

Okay, so you don't have any qualified research that supports your claim that cereal cannot be part of a proper diet?

Do you think you ought to educate yourself some more before you try to educate others?

I am very well educated on the subject thank you! We can always discuss your situation;

If anyone is interested in reading more about Whole Grains in food here is a nice article. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/whole-grain-foods-not-always-healthful/ as for everything else listed in the ingredients tell me what IS Good for you?

Bmmkxg - You are posting on the wrong site. It doesn't matter what articles you cite. The only thing that matters here is caloric deficit.

What I can't understand is the resistance to so many posters here to getting to that caloric deficit by eating more healthy foods, and greatly reducing the intake of crap. Not eliminating. Reducing. I will never figure it out.

Most people I see here promote a healthy diet, not just a calorie deficit.

What I can't understand is the resistance to people who can't figure out context and dosage. and how any foods can be part of a healthy diet.

But people like you will never believe in science.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Broscience dude, your cited article (not FDA) also says,

"Ultimately, the researchers found that the only whole-grain-rich diets that reduced the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes were those that included bran as a whole grain or those that contained high amounts of fiber."

Many prepared cereals contain just that. Kellogg's All-Bran is one of them.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If the only goal is weight loss, and not overall health, then whatever fits your calories totally works. If the goal is to increase your overall health via a nutritious diet and you have no existing health conditions, then whatever fits your calories totally works too, depending on what you spend the rest of your time eating. It is probably better for us to eat more fresh foods and unprocessed foods, to reduce sugars, and all that -- for optimal nutrition.

There's a lot of varying research and conflicting information out there. But I've yet to see anything proving that cereal is terrible for you. There may be better choices, depending on what your goals are. For example, maybe you realize you feel worse if you have more sugars -- then you may want to evaluate your intake and find areas of opportunity to reduce those, cereal may be one place. You may realize you feel better eating more protein in the morning, so you may toss the cereal and make eggs instead.

I'm sure that we're better off from an overall health standpoint eating certain foods in greatly reduced amounts and in moderation. But there are definitely different camps on that. I personally find that I feel way better if I eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, minimize the processed foods, and drastically cut back my sugar intake. I also personally find that if I don't allow some of those processed foods and sugary stuff in my diet, that I will crave it and potentially binge on it, so I work it into my calories when I feel the need.

In other words - there's no magic bullet to health. To lose weight, eat at a caloric deficit.
  • kr15ty_k
    kr15ty_k Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I use to eat Kashi Go Lean with 13-15g of protein a cup. I found a cheaper alternative right beside of it that has less cal/fat. I eat healthy of the mornings =P

The last time I tried a Kashi cereal the nuggets nearly broke my teeth. Have they improved their formulations at all?

I've had the really dense stuff too. I can't remember which type it was. The Go Lean Crunch isn't as crunchy (strange because the name suggests it would be).
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

its like that grapenuts ..... its like eating rocks. ill take a pass on THAT cereal. LOLOL

and dude with the spammy link trying to sell your pseudobroscience. wrong place, bud.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    kr15ty_k wrote: »
    I've had the really dense stuff too. I can't remember which type it was. The Go Lean Crunch isn't as crunchy (strange because the name suggests it would be).

I like Kashi GoLean Crisp. It's not very crunchy. It has a cinnamon flavor and is packed with protein and fiber. Plus, my milk adds Calcium, Vitamin D, and Omega 3s.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am in with the people that say eggs over cookie crisps. Yes cookie crisps taste good but it doesn't give you what you need to make it to lunch. Eggs fill you up and it lasts longer and will help your body perform better.

I can't believe people can honestly believe cookie crisps or fruit loops are just as good a breakfast as eggs and fruit.

This theory of "if it fits in your calories do it" has to be balanced with "what is going to help me perform best through the day".
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]

not on this thread they aren't.
  • asdowe13
    Options
    Rivers2k wrote: »

not on this thread they aren't.

are we reading the same thread?