I am on ketogenic diet for 15 months and I reach a plateau. any suggestions

Options
zeinmr
zeinmr Posts: 79 Member
I ate around 1400 cal per day and reached 190lbs and couldn't get down further. I am training for the last 4 month and noticed that whatever I do I am not losing more weight. It is really very frustrated when you do whatever you need to do and don't get the result. :(

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi. Maybe you need to change your calories intake either higher bc you are more active or lower and see what works.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    grams of protein and fat per day ? An open diary might help solicit advice.
  • zeinmr
    Options
    thx for reply. you have now access on my diary
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Metabolic damage maybe? You are a 44 year old guy who eats less than I do....And the keto thing don't fly for me if you get less fat and half the protein I eat on a regular 35,35,30 macro split...
    You are either not weighing and measuring and logging accurately, or you have lived on a very low calorie (for an adult male) diet for so long that your metabolism slowed down......
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,747 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks for opening your diary. I took a look at it since 01 March and you have several entries that are just quick-added calories. It varies from 300 to 1,000, which is a pretty big spread. You might think you're doing a good job at estimating, but it's pretty common to underestimate. Some of your entries might be a bit off, such as the avocado. 100 grams of avocado is actually 160 calories, for example.

Also your goal says you only have 13 pounds to lose. Your weight loss will slow naturally as you get closer to your goal weight, so it's a good idea to modify your eating habits and your weight loss expectations as you get closer. If you've been doing keto for 15 months, it may be a good idea to see your doctor for a full blood work-up.
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Are you carb cycling too ? Your carb amounts seem to vary a lot.I'm not sure I'd class what you're doing as ketogenic,at least not how I understand it should be done.
  • zeinmr
    Options
    Welll. Let me tell you first that the ketogenic diet has changed my life.I tried all sort of diets just name them. The best hing in lowcarb diet is I am not hungry anymore. I did 3 blood test the last 2 years and they were incredibbly good.I go to the gym 4 times per week min (3 days resistance workout and 1 or 2 days HIIT). I am also doing intermittent fasting for 16 to 18h. I start just last week carb cycling so I can increase my basal metabolism. The thing is I lose weight like 2 kg and just in one day I return them back.
  • zeinmr
    Options
    canoepug wrote: »
    Are you carb cycling too ? Your carb amounts seem to vary a lot.I'm not sure I'd class what you're doing as ketogenic,at least not how I understand it should be done.
    I have keto urine and blood strips and check almost daily if I am still keto adapted and I noticed that for me 50g of carb daily is ok to kepp me keto zone. During the days where I do HIIT or some burning phase workout I can allow myself up to 100g.
    Canoepug the amount of carb can vary depending on you insulin sensitivity. More your insulin is efficient more carb you are allowed.

• zeinmr
    Options

astrampe wrote: »
    Metabolic damage maybe? You are a 44 year old guy who eats less than I do....And the keto thing don't fly for me if you get less fat and half the protein I eat on a regular 35,35,30 macro split...
    You are either not weighing and measuring and logging accurately, or you have lived on a very low calorie (for an adult male) diet for so long that your metabolism slowed down......
    I think you are right my body is in starvation mode that is why I am starting carb cycling. Hope it will give positive results. I beleive that Keto diet works. All my symtoms (hunger, fatigued, weight gain) diasappeared and my viable markers (Glycemia, lipids profile,blood pressure...) are improved.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I suggest posting in the Low Carber Daily Forum http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group or keto group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto if you want answers from people who have experience eating a ketogenic diet.
  • zeinmr
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    I suggest posting in the Low Carber Daily Forum http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group or keto group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto if you want answers from people who have experience eating a ketogenic diet.

Thx I will
  • killakyle420
    Options
    I co
    zeinmr wrote: »
    astrampe wrote: »
    I think you are right my body is in starvation mode that is why I am starting carb cycling. Hope it will give positive results. I beleive that Keto diet works. All my symtoms (hunger, fatigued, weight gain) diasappeared and my viable markers (Glycemia, lipids profile,blood pressure...) are improved.

I completely agree you may have metabolic damage from low calories, and your body could be going into starvation mode for going low carb for a long time. I also noticed my metabolism slow down during intermittent fast because you eat fewer meals a day, not sure if that's true or not..