A short rant about many of the posts I have been seeing here. May come off as harsh but must be said

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    It was fascinating reading through these responses. It seems like there are 2 main schools of thought. One is about being positive and empathetic all the time and the other is being blunt and truthful. There are a select few who understand that it requires both methods of motivation.

Sometimes being too soft and gentle can be just as a disservice as being a complete dick. I think that a great leader and motivator is empathetic most of the time, however, understands the point as which someone needs a kick in the butt. It's not meant to be mean it's meant to be as if you are saying "listen - I know things are tough, but you need to stop using your struggles as a constant excuse because I and many others are here to help, but you need to change your attitude or you are just wasting everyone's time."

Also, sometimes you do need the blunt a-holes in the world to at least get people angry because often times in order to change you need to get angry about your situation first and then hopefully use that energy to find the right people to help you truly change.

But again, it all starts with you truly wanting it.

i am one of those that are in the first camp, but i still want to hear the truth. not hearing the truth is pointless, i just personally do not want it covered in sarcasm and anger. but i understand this is the internet and not every one will be satisfied all the time.

but the most important part out of this whole thing is truly wanting it and following through.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    joejward95 wrote: »
    I probably did lose more muscle than I wanted, but I do bouldering so weight loss was a much larger priority than muscle

why?
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Because in bouldering, atleast to begin with you need to be as light as possible. Strength is obvious important, but being light is more important.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    The thing about this post that is so laughable to me is that while weightloss is pure calories in vs. calories out, you take this stance that people are just "making excuses" if they aren't doing what you did and you dole out the "tought love" without recognizing that your life is, in fact, a lot easier than some of the other people on here.....

I would prefer a post about not-using-excuses coming from someone who has been successful but faced some of the same challenges I have... the thing is, when I see posts from someone who does what I do every day who has achieved their goals, their tone is usually a lot more positive and their advice a lot more useful....not "coddling" but POSITIVE and USEFUL.... like "you can burn 300 calories throwing the baby in a sling and walking for an hour in the sunshine!" or "there's a gym that has childcare" or "here's a tip on how to make some quick meals that will last all week and hit your macros!" or "you can pump out some deadlifts while the muffins are in the oven!"

But I'm sure some college kids could benefit from your experience... and that's cool. It's just a funny thing to read from where I'm standing is all.
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    >But I'm sure some college kids could benefit from your experience

Exactly my point.As stated many many times this isn't aimed towards the majority of people. Its the very small minority who need a bit of a kick up the *kitten* to get on with their goals. And I have already had messages from people telling me I achieved that, so this was worth it.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    ccam99 wrote: »
    Delivery for me is awful, i couldnt care less the age or sex of the poster, but content is correct.

This part of the post I absolutely detest.
    Tl;dr: Stop whining and take responsibility for your weight loss. You're a grown adult, deal with it like one. Show some self control, and if you can't then you don't deserve to be in shape. Your body will react to how you treat it.Lack self control? You're going to be fat and deserve to be like that.

Whining for me is part of the journey for me. And if it was just a matter of being a grown adult, loads of people wouldnt have got big in the first place.

if you dont like the whining close the posts.
    p.s I am not angry, not hungry, just my opinion. infact you sound angry.

I feel like you. I was not angered by his blunt comments because he did say he was going to rant but I hated the end of his post. Mainly this part: "Show some self control, and if you can't then you don't deserve to be in shape. Your body will react to how you treat it.Lack self control? You're going to be fat and deserve to be like that."

I just feel these were unnecessarily rude comments that could have been left out.
    I prefer to say it this way:
    effortvshappiness_zpsec6f7073.png

Could you provide the Happiness and Effort units please? I need to calculate whether the happiness I'll achieve is worth the effort. ;)
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    joejward95 wrote: »
    >But I'm sure some college kids could benefit from your experience

Exactly my point.As stated many many times this isn't aimed towards the majority of people. Its the very small minority who need a bit of a kick up the *kitten* to get on with their goals. And I have already had messages from people telling me I achieved that, so this was worth it.

Yes. I think people are missing this point. There are people out there who just are looking for pity and are always saying "woe is me" about there situation. It's the ones who say (usually around January 8th of every year) "OMG I gained 0.5 lbs today even though I ate 500 calories and worked out 5 hours a day for the last week I'm just going to give up!"
  • kayleighalford9
    kayleighalford9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The above link demonstrates how getting fit and staying fit changes as you age. Just thought I'd leave this here
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i agree with some of this, however that bit about motivation is a bunch of *kitten*. Motivation comes and goes in waves. What's so wrong about reaching out to others for a helping hand, is that not the purpose of this "community"? Oh right, i forgot, its just so your type can bash those not succeeding as quickly
  • thatgumyoulike
    thatgumyoulike Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ugh, really? I'm a runner and have always kept between 125 and 135. After my first kid I lost the weight quickly. After my second it would not budge. I ran, did p90x counted calories and kept going up.

I was convinced I was just not doing enough and it was my fault. After 18 months I finally asked my doctor. My thyroid was on the fritz and I needed meds.

One month on meds with less exercise then before and I'm dropping 2 lbs per week.

Sometimes the excuses are real and sometimes blaming it all on yourself is counterproductive.