Uh oh - bad weekend ahead.

Options

Replies

• kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    That sounds like an awesome weekend! You are so lucky to have a family like that and be able to spend time with them doing something special. Just have reasonable amounts of food and stop worrying. Enjoy the time you have with them.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    gouldyftw wrote: »
    One or two days will not make a difference in the long run, in the same way that you wouldn't consider one or two days long enough for a diet.

That's completely wrong. You can easily undo a week's deficit by making bad choices a couple days... especially when such high calorie food is involved.

I'd say you are both correct. It truly isn't that hard to undo a week's worth of deficit in a weekend. But, in the long run, one week without a deficit isn't likely to prevent weight loss in the long term.

This.

And you might see a huge spike in the scale due to increased carbs and/or salt, but it'll be water weight and will drop off soon enough. Losing weight isn't a reason to not enjoy the celebrations. Go for the things you want, practice moderation when appropriate, and most of all, have a good time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    People people.

keep in mind undoing a deficit =/= weight gain.

I ate well over 4000 calories on Christmas.... not a pound gained.
    I beg to disagree. There's serious potential to gain 2 pounds there. And plenty of opportunities to make better choices (I don't eat at the movies either. As a matter of fact, I make it a point never to eat while watching something, as you don't enjoy your food as much that way and it's not as satisfying).

I highly doubt it quiet honestly.

Secondly- eating while you're watching a movie is a moot point- I do it frequently- and I deeply enjoy my popcorn still.

Having one big weekend isn't going to undo months of work. Much like having one good day isn't going to undo months of not work.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    gouldyftw wrote: »
    One or two days will not make a difference in the long run, in the same way that you wouldn't consider one or two days long enough for a diet.

That's completely wrong. You can easily undo a week's deficit by making bad choices a couple days... especially when such high calorie food is involved.

I'm sorry but you're sounding a bit crazy in this thread. Two pounds is eating an extra 7,000 calories over the weekend. That ain't going to happen in two celebratory meals unless you're a freak of nature.

Sure, you can easily undo a week's deficit over the weekend. But that's okay for celebrations that you enjoy. If you're too restrictive you'll just end up getting sick of it and regaining weight.

^^^that.

I always bring my knitting to the movies, I get work done and I get the do something with my hands. (Which is all movie snacking is for me, there's no real pleasure in it.)
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    No one is forcing you to eat any of that. And even if you do you can eat it in moderation. Eat a small serving of the Chinese, or eat moderately throughout the day to save up calories for it. Also exercise that day so that it balances out. For the cake, what works for me is getting several tiny pieces. There was a delicious cake at work the other day. The first time I got a very tiny sliver and I went back two more times for very small pieces- it added up to one regular slice.

For Mother's Day get one pancake and round out the rest of your meal with protein. Eat a snack before the movies so you won't be tempted and have two small slices of pizza.

This really comes down to being able to resist temptation and make smart choices. Just because you are around unhealthy food doesn't mean you have to partake.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sounds like a great weekend to me - can I come along as well? :smiley:

I predict a very hard time at maintenance for a few people in this thread if fitting in family celebrations causes such angst.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Not sure if you're looking for advice, or just kvetching (lol) but here are a couple of thoughts. Eat a bunch of raw veggies BEFORE your Chinese foods. You'll eat less of the Chinese, but still be able to enjoy *some*.

For the movies, I bring Life Savers candies in my purse - 10 calories each. Plus, it takes much longer to polish off those little guys than to wolf down a box of, say, Raisinettes (which I adore!).

I don't care for movie theatre popcorn, but if I want something salty and crunchy I smuggle in a small package of Smokehouse Almonds - 170 calories/oz. and healthy!

I also bring a bottle of water in my purse- who needs to spend $4.95 for a soft drink. I mean, REALLY? and you save all that sodium.

All of that leaves you at least a couple of hundred more calories to have in pizza. =)

p.s. I carry a large purse. =)
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Wait a second, mothers day is not till may.
  • sijomial
    Options
    nickatine wrote: »
    In the UK it falls on this weekend.
  • kazaargrandcru
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yup, caught that as well but some people celebrate at different times so I let it be.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    On this side of the pond, yes.

Enjoy your weekend! It sounds like mad fun.
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Wooooooah. Didn't expect so many replies. Guys, what's with the negative ones!? I posted this thread NOT for advice - but to show that although I'm not overjoyed by the idea of eating bad food, I'm going to. And I'm damn well going to enjoy it. I've been eating well and working out long enough now to know when to sort my habits out and get healthy again, and I can 100% get back on it. Not even on the Monday, but all of Saturday and some of Sunday too. It wasn't meant to cause so much negativity and disagreement! At the end of the day, I'm 20, I like food, and I weigh 122lbs. I'm not going to panic too much, and I'm going to appreciate every bite.
  • sijomial
    Options
    Just pointing out you are using very negative terminology for a very normal and what should be enjoyable event:
    "Bad weekend"
    "Bad food"
    "Get healthy again"
  • kazaargrandcru
    Options
    Uh oh bad weekend ahead!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Just pointing out you are using very negative terminology for a very normal and what should be enjoyable event:
    "Bad weekend"
    "Bad food"
    "Get healthy again"

This. I read a few of the OP's replies so I saw that she wasn't really freaking out over it, which honestly made the original post pretty confusing.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Oh my god, it's really not a big deal. I say bad because it is bad - food that makes you gain weight isn't classed by many people as 'good' is it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    "Bad weekend"
    "Bad food"
    "Get healthy again"

cosign.

also this is troubling
    but to show that although I'm not overjoyed by the idea of eating bad food, I'm going to.

don't eat food you don't enjoy.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Wooooooah. Didn't expect so many replies. Guys, what's with the negative ones!? I posted this thread NOT for advice - but to show that although I'm not overjoyed by the idea of eating bad food, I'm going to. And I'm damn well going to enjoy it. I've been eating well and working out long enough now to know when to sort my habits out and get healthy again, and I can 100% get back on it. Not even on the Monday, but all of Saturday and some of Sunday too. It wasn't meant to cause so much negativity and disagreement! At the end of the day, I'm 20, I like food, and I weigh 122lbs. I'm not going to panic too much, and I'm going to appreciate every bite.

Why would you eat stuff that you don't enjoy?
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    "Bad weekend"
    "Bad food"
    "Get healthy again"

This. I read a few of the OP's replies so I saw that she wasn't really freaking out over it, which honestly made the original post pretty confusing.

What exactly was confusing? I never was freaking out. If I was - I wouldn't be eating it. I was just being HUMAN and saying what I was going to eat in the hope people could relate! Clearly not!
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

Why would you eat stuff that you don't enjoy?

I do enjoy it...? Hence why I was fat in the first place haha.