Beware Easter will be hear sooner than you think!

Options

Replies

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    So much delicious candy:D.

I've ate my fair share of Russell Stover Eggs this year.

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I exercise moderation instead of restriction. Rather than buying a 2 lb chocolate bunny, I'll get a smaller one, and I still won't eat the entire thing in one sitting. I also love my Cadbury creme eggs, so rather than getting the full-size ones (150 calories each), I'll have just one smaller one (40 calories). Also, where I live are these delightful Mary Sue Easter eggs, and rather than getting gigantic ones as I used to, I only get the mini ones. If you do get a larger portion of something, just cut it up and only help yourself to what one serving is (I doubt you'll find a gigantic chocolate bunny suggesting that a serving size is the entire thing).
    The most important thing is to enjoy yourself and make the day about more than just food! Food should never be your main focus, our culture is just obsessed with it for stupid reasons ;)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    http://gawker.com/5990806/us-ban-on-kinder-surprise-eggs-finally-lifted-kinda

Now that I've learned what a Kinder surprise egg is and that we can't have them here in the US... I feel rather sad. :( I remember a couple years ago some candy/toy combo being taken off the shelves due to choking hazards. That might have been a knock off....really though the most important thing is the chocolate. Though the prizes look fun when I was Googling ;)

Someone mentioned getting them at Ethnic stores in the US?

My kids love Kinder eggs. It's a good treat for them as they don't have too much chocolate in them, and it's got a nice toy.

I'm sure more kids get killed by guns than Kinder eggs in the US but I don't hear of them banning guns.

Yea priorities.. lol guns are apparently fine but not Chocolate Easter Eggs with toys... hm
    Knowing I can't have one now I want one in front of me to see what this fuss about banning is about. ;)

Do you have Kinder Bueno chocolates in the US? The taste is basically the same. Or, if you ever come over to Canada, you can get them practically everywhere. Just don't try to transport them back across the border I guess.

No Kinder Bueno's here in the US. :(

I also agree about Cadbury...growing up my Mum would enjoy a bar and it was such a treat to her (She was English)...she didn't care for any of the American chocolate.

Then Cadbury sold out to whatever company and though they still sell the good stuff outside the US, here the taste is icky sweet and no longer tastes like quality chocolate. I had heard that we Americans love very very sweet things so the recipe is done up differently for the US consumers. The article also shared our Cadbury and other nice chocolates from the outside the US don't contain wax. Apparently Americans also enjoy wax as well as the extra sugar in our chocolate. LOL Bleh!
    Hersheys is not chocolate :(
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    So much delicious candy:D.

I've ate my fair share of Russell Stover Eggs this year.

I might have one... um, or two.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Now that I've learned what a Kinder surprise egg is and that we can't have them here in the US... I feel rather sad. :( I remember a couple years ago some candy/toy combo being taken off the shelves due to choking hazards. That might have been a knock off....really though the most important thing is the chocolate. Though the prizes look fun when I was Googling ;)

My kids love Kinder eggs. It's a good treat for them as they don't have too much chocolate in them, and it's got a nice toy.

I'm sure more kids get killed by guns than Kinder eggs in the US but I don't hear of them banning guns.

Yea priorities.. lol guns are apparently fine but not Chocolate Easter Eggs with toys... hm
    Knowing I can't have one now I want one in front of me to see what this fuss about banning is about. ;)

Do you have Kinder Bueno chocolates in the US? The taste is basically the same. Or, if you ever come over to Canada, you can get them practically everywhere. Just don't try to transport them back across the border I guess.

No Kinder Bueno's here in the US. :(

I also agree about Cadbury...growing up my Mum would enjoy a bar and it was such a treat to her (She was English)...she didn't care for any of the American chocolate.

Then Cadbury sold out to whatever company and though they still sell the good stuff outside the US, here the taste is icky sweet and no longer tastes like quality chocolate. I had heard that we Americans love very very sweet things so the recipe is done up differently for the US consumers. The article also shared our Cadbury and other nice chocolates from the outside the US don't contain wax. Apparently Americans also enjoy wax as well as the extra sugar in our chocolate. LOL Bleh!
    Hersheys is not chocolate :(

My friend brought me back some Hershey's to try. It gave me a dodgy stomach! Never again!
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The only Cadbury product you can rely on to be the original British recipe is "Dairy Milk" stamped bars.
    The creme eggs have been completely ruined and taste disgusting now it's done to an American recipe.

I stick to the Dairy Milk products now and won't eat any of Cadburys other products including my favourite Creme eggs and Wispa's. Boo.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I am planning an Easter cookout where we can go hiking afterwards. The hiking is my reward for dealing with the BS that comes with an extended family gathering. Lol

I don't go crazy over candy but I made myself a deal a long time ago. ..if my 70 year old mother is making noodles (getting out flour, cracking eggs kind of noodles), I am eating them. I will cut back on something else to make it work for my goals.

If chocolate on Easter is your "egg noodles", eat it. Get in under your calories, if you can. Maybe eat at maintenance that day? Go for a long walk to make up for some of it. If by some chance you go crazy in a wild-eyed candy crazed binge, get right back on the wagon.

I don't think any food is bad. Work it in. Have some on the holiday and split the rest up over a week or two. I'm not sure how much candy you will be receiving. Don't deny yourself. This is for life so make it work. :smile:
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    There won't be much chocolate in my house (and I eat chocolate in moderation now, so I'd be perfectly find moderating an influx of chocolate) but there will be a big meal. And I will eat whatever I want in celebration with my family. And then get right back to tracking and staying within my goals come Monday morning :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'm English, so it always makes me laugh. That and drinking. Like drinking before 21 is so bad, yet you can probably buy a gun before that!

I've mentioned this on MFP before, but I used to cross over into Canada at the border in Port Huron, MI, and the difference in the questions on each side always made me laugh. When I went into Canada the border officials would always demand to know if I had any firearms or cigarettes. When I came back into Michigan they'd always ask about fruit.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I've surfed through a couple of posts, right now I have 15 bags of Hershey's kisses with almonds sitting in the freezer we purchased on clearance for $1 a bag. Upstairs, for my daughter we have several bags of candy and probably 20 Hershey bars. By the way, my daughter is 5'4" and weighs 105 pounds. There is temptation every day in the house with junk food, Easter is another day. If you really have a desire to loose weight work a piece or two of candy in your diet otherwise ignore it!!!
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'll be at a trance party, spending my Easter weekend playing contact staff and dancing my *kitten* off
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I don't get treats for myself. My kids have opted for a toy this year, so they will really only get treats from their mom mom and my mom. Mom mom buys the cheapest, nastiest chocolate ever. The kind that doesn't even taste like chocolate. It doesn't tempt me. My mom usually gets them a chocolate bunny each and I let them gorge themselves until it is gone. I do like a peep or cadbury egg now and again. One won't kill me.
  • KathyMBragg
    KathyMBragg Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I request family not to give me chocolate as they have in the past. It will be easier since my hubby is on a diet too. We will contain the higher calories to one day as I am not making enough to have a lot of leftovers. I will have my traditional dinner and even dessert though, just less of it.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Just bought my kid's Easter basket. Had a salad with my lunch and Reese PB egg. Still have 750 calories left for dinner. Sticking with moderation!
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    We've bought some and it already is gone, but since it' just hubby and I no biggie. We are going to a awesome brunch, (at least it was awesome a couple years ago) where I will probably eat myself silly and then we'll see what happens the rest of the day. It will depend somewhat on the weather.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I'm English, so it always makes me laugh. That and drinking. Like drinking before 21 is so bad, yet you can probably buy a gun before that!

I've mentioned this on MFP before, but I used to cross over into Canada at the border in Port Huron, MI, and the difference in the questions on each side always made me laugh. When I went into Canada the border officials would always demand to know if I had any firearms or cigarettes. When I came back into Michigan they'd always ask about fruit.

Fruit? Um, why? I know they're super strict in Australia about what your bring into the country but I don't understand why they'd be concerned about fruit going from Canada to the US? Did they also ask if you had a Kinder egg? :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Fruit? Um, why? I know they're super strict in Australia about what your bring into the country but I don't understand why they'd be concerned about fruit going from Canada to the US? Did they also ask if you had a Kinder egg? :)

I have never been asked about a Kinder egg. ;-) I have been asked about alcohol, and once the border agent got weirdly interested in a box of documents I had in my truck (which I'd brought with me to work on). It was hilarious, he asked me what they were, I said "documents," and he said "Canadian documents?" in a highly suspicious tone. I got really defensive (not a good choice) and said "no, American documents, look on the box they say Chicago." I think this was the time when I was driving a rental car and couldn't remember how to pop the hood, which hadn't really gotten us off on the right foot.

As for the fruit:
    The U.S. CBP advisory issued July 6, 2011 says the following: “We regret that it is necessary to take agricultural items from your baggage. They cannot be brought into the United States because they may carry animal and plant pests and diseases. Restricted items include meats, fruits, vegetables, plants, soil, and products made from animal and plant products.”

I've always found this ridiculous because obviously there's nothing stopping the little bugs and such from crossing the border, but upon further research apparently the issue is not most Canadian fruit (etc.) but fruit you might have gotten in Canada from elsewhere, although occasionally there are restrictions on things from certain parts of Canada with known pests or plant diseases.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    To get back to the question at hand, I think its going to be highly individualized. Some people do better with consistency- always sticking in their calorie limits. Others do fine with occasional breaks. I started logging food in May so I was going along well-eating treats but fitting them in my budget- when Halloween hit and wondered the same as you. I have two skinny kids and an abundance of tempting high-calorie foods in my house. So the temptations are always there. But Halloween somehow seemed a nice excuse for an indulgance- so I indulged. I probably ate 5-700 extra calories a day in chocolate for 3 straight days. YUM! And then I got back to budget. I didn't beat myself up; I didn't lose sight of my goal. I did the same or similar on Thanksgiving, Christmas, my mother's passing, my birthday, you get the idea. And here it is, 11 months later, and guess what? I still have a healthy relationship with food, and I've lost 60 lbs.

Calorie-wise, one day isn't going to derail you. But can you keep it there? If yes, enjoy that chocolate egg. If not, can you send it to me?
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

My parents are in Mexico and they used to bring me back Kinder Eggs every year until the border patrol became more strict. Ugg, I miss them. :disappointed:

I've bought myself some early Easter chocolates. My favorites so far have been the Russell Stover strawberry creme egg and the Cadbury chocolate egg.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Oooh I can chime in on the Kinder Eggs. Yes they are prohibited in the US. My kids know about them because they watch YouTube videos of toy reviews, and often these videos include children (who seem to be American btw) opening Kinder Surprise Eggs and raving about what was inside. So I recently was in Europe and decided to buy some to bring back, knowing that I could be stopped at customs and subjected to all kinds of awkward questions, strip searches, etc. Fortunately I had no issues and sailed right through customs with my 5 boxes of Kinder Eggs in hand. When my kids opened their first one, my husband and I looked at each other and said, "whoever thought that this was a choking hazard is totally ridiculous. It's not that a toy is embedded in the chocolate, which was what I could see being a risk. There is a small plastic container, which is easily the size of my thumb, and inside THAT is a small toy, which is even still about the same size as many of the chotchkies that you can exchange tickets for at Chuck E Cheese or somewhere.

I have determined that the Kinder Egg Prohibition must have been perpetrated by a chocolate competitor (probably Hershey) who just wanted to keep these out of the States.

Oh and a colleague of mine did get asked about them when she passed through customs, but they let her keep the eggs.