Beware Easter will be hear sooner than you think!

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i havent received Easter candy since i lived at home and was in high school LOL

When i was Catholic, it was about celebrating the resurrection

i do a small gift and a small goodie bag of candy for the kids but thats about as far as it goes. It certainly doesn't affect what i eat. LOLOL
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm not really about the candy at all...I do like a good ham dinner though. I good 4-6 ounces of ham with a side of roasted potatoes and some veg is going to clock in right around where any other meal would.

Kids better hide their boiled eggs too...I love those things.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I don't understand all this fear mongering....

Food is necessary to life, I categorically refuse to be scared of food for the rest of my life because it's become a celebratory thing for one little day every so often[/b].

That is fine, but for too many people the celebratory thing ends up being more than one little day every so often. Christmas treats and potlucks for weeks before Christmas, happy hour every Friday, stocking up on Easter candy because it won't be sold after Easter, treats for everyone's birthday at work, etc, etc.

Well, this may be the problem. As far as history (and even to an extent, archaeology) can ascertain, occasions were always - or as often as possible - celebrated with food, and lots of it, economic and seasonal variations permitting. Yet there doesn't seem to have been a weight issue related to such "celebrations" until after the mid-20th century (at least on a large, notable scale).

The issue isn't holidays that include lots of food, IMO. The issue (again, IMO) is that we have to "celebrate" SOMETHING with food every single day. Just having done a good morning's work is cause for "dessert" with lunch. It sort of nullifies the excitement of actual special-occasion foods so we're required to up the ante (and overall amount) and extend the length of time in order to make the actually-special and actually-occasional stand out.

That's so soap-boxey, and I'm sorry for that, but I definitely feel that between the time of my childhood and now (for reference, I'm 47), we've gone from serious pig-out free-for-alls on actual holidays or celebrations, to "dessert" with everything, snacks between every meal (and they'd darned well be hyper-palatable snacks) and so on, and therefore, in order to make an "impact," insane, obscene gorging on actual holidays. Even when we used to have a great number of choices on a holiday table, we'd just take a little of each, for example - not because we were being austere or attempting to control ourselves or our weight or anything like that, but because two or three bites of that wonderful pie (or a small slice - not a quarter of the damned pie) WAS special. A few bites of this, a few bites of that, after a few bites of six or eight foods and a larger helping of the one or two you really loved, and by God but you were stuffed, and you felt you had done some seriously table-celebrating.

Two or three bites of some sort of "super-fun squeezable crunchable multi-colored ohhhhhhhhhhhness Whee!!!!" food is, today, simply upper-mid-morning snack to tide Little Savvanaugh over between 10:00 snack and lunchtime. ;) (Heaven forbid she suffer a low blood sugar episode from two or more hours without some sort of foodage going down her gut.) And we feel the same way about ourselves as adults. Got to "keep our metabolisms up" and prevent a hospital visit-worthy hypoglycemic episode, don't'cha know.

I know, I know, I'm Dana Carvey's Grumpy Old Man in female form, LOL. "When *I* was a kid..."

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm not really about the candy at all...I do like a good ham dinner though. I good 4-6 ounces of ham with a side of roasted potatoes and some veg is going to clock in right around where any other meal would.

This is for me as well. Love some good baked ham... mmmm
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Just hope they don't hide them too well because then they'll start to stink...
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to Easter. I'm pretty sure that one day of unbridled eating won't do TOO much harm. :innocent:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't realize the celebration of Easter was such a big event...it's pretty low on my holiday totem pole really and have never concerned myself with it in the way I would Christmas or Thanksgiving or something...I mean those are feast days...Easter seems like it's more a fun thing to do with the kids...do some egg hiding and hunting, have some candy, etc. We usually do some kind of Sunday dinner anyway so having a ham and whatnot on a random Sunday in the spring really isn't a big deal...

I don't know...I'm not really religious so maybe I just don't get it...but I celebrate the crap out of Christmas...love Christmas...but maybe that's just because I like having an excuse to bring a big *kitten* tree into my living room and decking it out as tacky as humanly possible.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When i was Catholic, it was about celebrating the resurrection

I don't get this "if one is religious it's not about food ever" thing.

I am Catholic and I do Lent and go to Easter Vigil every year (as stated above), and somehow my actual church has a big party after Easter Vigil at which there is lots of food, especially devilled eggs (weird at 11 pm, but eh) and chocolate and of course booze, because people are excited to have what they gave up for Lent. And plus it's a party. It's kind of like getting to say alleluia at Easter Mass or having all the lights go on.

Also, having an Easter meal (with lamb in my family tradition, but some do ham and make it more brunch-y) is pretty traditional, as well as the chocolate and baskets for kids.

I do spring themed food, because it's a spring holiday.

I also love holiday celebrations, both religious and secular, so may be biased.

(Hate St. Patrick's Day, though.)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just celebrated my 3rd anniversary on MFP yesterday. My first "eating" holiday was Easter, and I was concerned about eating too much. I was very careful and stayed within my calorie allotment. Over the years, and holidays I have come to learn that, "it is just one day", but I do make the effort to pay attention to portion size and moderation. It has worked for me. I have been on maintenance for 16 months now. Overindulging for one day or event, has to become a rare thing in order for me to maintain my weight loss. If it happens, I just do better the very next day in order for me to not begin to slide on the slippery slope that got me to obesity, pre-MFP, when I told myself, "I will start over again tomorrow". Unfortunately, tomorrow did not come for me for years and years. My "tomorrow" finally came 3-12-12.

My best advice is, celebrate your occasions doing what will work for you. If you do eat more than you wish you would have, try to do better the next day, and not let one day discourage you. One day will not make a huge difference, as long as you do not give up. Just pick up where you left off and continue towards your goals. Life happens.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't care about Easter. We don't do anything special, except baskets for the kids... There's plenty of chocolate at home all year long so it's not going to make any difference for me, but I'll let the kids gorge on chocolate if it's what they want.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Since it's just going to be my mom and me this year, it'll probably just be a small ham and potatoes for the two of us. We don't usually go all out (I think last year I kept to my deficit), plus I work extremely early on Sundays so by dinnertime I'll be exhausted.

Oh, and all the Reese's Eggs/Whopper Eggs, too.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    The only easter candy I had to have was a cadbury egg. I lost my taste for them a few years ago though. I know there was some controversy this year about changing the recipe, but I really thought it was also changed a few years ago because it got more sweet with less actual flavor. Maybe just my tastes changed.

I do like jelly beans but I can get those anytime. We don't do a big dinner on Easter or Christmas. The only time I go all out cooking massive food is Thanksgiving and then we eat leftovers for the next week.

Honestly I don't even know when Easter is this year LOL....I know it's soon because the stores are a sea of plastic decor and cheap low-grade chocolate bunnies, etc.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Are kinder surprises banned in America? ?

Sadly they are. The toys are considered a choking hazard.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't realize the celebration of Easter was such a big event...it's pretty low on my holiday totem pole really and have never concerned myself with it in the way I would Christmas or Thanksgiving or something...I mean those are feast days...Easter seems like it's more a fun thing to do with the kids...do some egg hiding and hunting, have some candy, etc. We usually do some kind of Sunday dinner anyway so having a ham and whatnot on a random Sunday in the spring really isn't a big deal...

I don't know...I'm not really religious so maybe I just don't get it...but I celebrate the crap out of Christmas...love Christmas...but maybe that's just because I like having an excuse to bring a big *kitten* tree into my living room and decking it out as tacky as humanly possible.

ditto to all of that except we dont do big dinners EXCEPT on (the actual) holidays. and by holidays i pretty much mean xmas and thanksgiving LOLOL
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I learned something shockingly sad in this thread... Millions upon millions of American kiddies have never had a Kinder Surprise. Generations have grown up not knowing what it is.

My heart weeps for you. I will console it with Kinder chocolate :)
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

They do know its the chocolate they're supposed to eat, don't they? :wink:

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Special occasions = gloves off ... just don't treat everyday like a special occasion.

Honestly, just enjoy the day... have some ham, hard-boiled eggs and chocolate and then get right back to it the next day. If you can fit it all into your calorie goal, great. If not, it's not the end of the world.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    joolsmd wrote: »
    jkal1979 wrote: »

They do know its the chocolate they're supposed to eat, don't they? :wink:

LOL I know right!! It does say in big writing on the wrapper " may contain choking hazard". It's up to the parents to keep an eye on their kids, and know whether or not their kids are the type to eat plastic. I never had to worry about that with my kids, and you obviously don't give these treats to toddlers/babies :huh:

• lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I don't understand all this fear mongering....

Food is necessary to life, I categorically refuse to be scared of food for the rest of my life because it's become a celebratory thing for one little day every so often[/b].

That is fine, but for too many people the celebratory thing ends up being more than one little day every so often. Christmas treats and potlucks for weeks before Christmas, happy hour every Friday, stocking up on Easter candy because it won't be sold after Easter, treats for everyone's birthday at work, etc, etc.

Well, this may be the problem. As far as history (and even to an extent, archaeology) can ascertain, occasions were always - or as often as possible - celebrated with food, and lots of it, economic and seasonal variations permitting. Yet there doesn't seem to have been a weight issue related to such "celebrations" until after the mid-20th century (at least on a large, notable scale).

The issue isn't holidays that include lots of food, IMO. The issue (again, IMO) is that we have to "celebrate" SOMETHING with food every single day. Just having done a good morning's work is cause for "dessert" with lunch. It sort of nullifies the excitement of actual special-occasion foods so we're required to up the ante (and overall amount) and extend the length of time in order to make the actually-special and actually-occasional stand out.

That's so soap-boxey, and I'm sorry for that, but I definitely feel that between the time of my childhood and now (for reference, I'm 47), we've gone from serious pig-out free-for-alls on actual holidays or celebrations, to "dessert" with everything, snacks between every meal (and they'd darned well be hyper-palatable snacks) and so on, and therefore, in order to make an "impact," insane, obscene gorging on actual holidays. Even when we used to have a great number of choices on a holiday table, we'd just take a little of each, for example - not because we were being austere or attempting to control ourselves or our weight or anything like that, but because two or three bites of that wonderful pie (or a small slice - not a quarter of the damned pie) WAS special. A few bites of this, a few bites of that, after a few bites of six or eight foods and a larger helping of the one or two you really loved, and by God but you were stuffed, and you felt you had done some seriously table-celebrating.

Two or three bites of some sort of "super-fun squeezable crunchable multi-colored ohhhhhhhhhhhness Whee!!!!" food is, today, simply upper-mid-morning snack to tide Little Savvanaugh over between 10:00 snack and lunchtime. ;) (Heaven forbid she suffer a low blood sugar episode from two or more hours without some sort of foodage going down her gut.) And we feel the same way about ourselves as adults. Got to "keep our metabolisms up" and prevent a hospital visit-worthy hypoglycemic episode, don't'cha know.

I know, I know, I'm Dana Carvey's Grumpy Old Man in female form, LOL. "When *I* was a kid..."

May I climb on your soap box with you?

Feasting is an ancient tradition to celebrate holidays and victories and weddings and whatever. In my father's family even funerals were an occasion for feasting. I have no issue with food orgies at these events. But you are right about us decadently expecting that every day is deserving of such a celebration.

I remember, as a child, that ice cream was only eaten on birthdays and chocolates at Christmas and Easter. (But I also think that was due to our relative poverty.). To this day I only rarely have dessert and then only at a celebratory meal.

All that said....those Cadbury Creme Eggs get me every spring. And I feel no guilt whatsoever.

But y'all can keep those nasty peeps.

• JulieAnneFIU
    JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Easter 2015 for me =

5dx7wukez92m.jpg

I ate one of those with a knife and fork before I found out I was allergic. Turns out the egg aren't gluten free. Worth it.