Beware Easter will be hear sooner than you think!

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    No, we don't celebrate thanksgiving or Halloween here in Australia.

so much wrong.

why? It's an American thing....
    Because CHOCOLATE, think of the children!

Lol fair call :smiley: Understandable :+1:
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    P.S. i read the title of this post and felt like there should be horror movie music playing behind me.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Personally I don't care about the origins of the holiday or whether it's marketing. Easter and chocolate go hand in hand for me.

Pretty sure I saw something a while ago about how engagement rings are a thing because of marketing. When was the last time you saw someone get engaged with out a ring? Never for me, whether it's marketing or not these things have become traditions.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    No, we don't celebrate thanksgiving or Halloween here in Australia.

so much wrong.

why? It's an American thing....
    Because CHOCOLATE, think of the children!

Lol fair call :smiley: Understandable :+1:

Also do you guys not have a day to let kids dress up and force adults to give them candy??? It's like an integral part of life!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Look, I love chocolate and will take any excuse to eat it, but....Easter is when Christians celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. It has nothing to do with chocolate, just like Christmas has nothing to do with sleigh rides and sugar cookies.

If chocolate is part of your family tradition, that's one thing. But is it really the whole point of the holiday for you? Really?

He said he's not religious, so that's not really fair.

Also, enjoying food traditions doesn't mean that something is the whole point of the holiday. I wouldn't pass up Christmas dinner or lamb at Easter, but that doesn't mean I think it's what the religious aspect of the holidays are about.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I just finished my Christmas and Valentine chocolate this week.
    If I have my own Easter chocolate then I will eat in in small amounts over the course of weeks or months.
  • Christine_72
    The poor OP just asked about chocolate :#:o:)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Seriously!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member

Ditto this sentiment.

It's at times like this that I'm really, really grateful that I'm in no way religious.
  • Merkavar
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

Ditto this sentiment.

It's at times like this that I'm really, really grateful that I'm in no way religious.

It wouldn't be MFP if arguements didn't break out on unrelated topics :open_mouth:
  • Merkavar
    edited March 2015
    So if I understand so far with my chocolate question, I should eat a some while saving some and giving some away to some wiccans and then go trick or treating while throwing a turkey at Christians?

Did I miss something? One of the unrelated arguements?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    OP, my condolences on your thread being hijacked.

Also wanted to chime in that my experience here in the northeastern US, Easter is a very chocolatey holiday. The chocolate bunnies & eggs, pastel colored versions of every candy bar, peeps, etc are all over the supermarkets and drug stores, on every desk in the office, and despite my age still get candy from my parents and my aunt.

I would allow yourself a little extra on the holiday, then portion it out and have a little guilt-free every day. Especially the bite-size stuff, take a portion and then close it up and put it away, so you don't "accidentally" end up eating the whole thing while watching TV. I try to do the same with the Christmas candy. And the Valentines candy. And the Halloween candy. :blush:
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    If I was a troll I might have been happy with this thread, minimal effort, caused fighting and people getting reported.

So if I understand so far with my chocolate question, I should eat a some while saving some and giving some away to some wiccans and then go trick or treating while throwing a turkey at Christians?

Did I miss something? One of the unrelated arguements?

LOL, that should pretty much cover it.

But then again you could always skip all the religious angst and just eat the chocolate in peace...within your calorie goals.

That's probably what I'd do.
  • Christine_72
    edited March 2015
    Lol we could all move over to the "eating in the shower" thread :wink:
    I've been bouncing between the two all day :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I never really thought of Easter as a major food holiday, but I guess it could be. It's in the Spring, so it usually means a lot of outdoors activities, like hiking, etc. I suppose there's a bit of candy, too, but it's well within calories, since I'm usually pretty active.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Aww, you're a cute guy! Ditch the bag!

And eat some chocolate.

No no. Put the chocolate in the bag and then toss the bag :-p preferably in my direction :).
  • Merkavar
    Hopefully this doesn't start a anti US arguement because they are apparently illegal there but I might buy people kinder surprises for Easter, less chocolate but compensated by a toy.

5knk7r1cefuo.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Are kinder surprises banned in America? ?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

Not familiar with the term. What is a kinder surprise?
  • Merkavar
    That's what I heard. Every now and then I see an image of guns and kinder surprises. With the caption one of these is illegal.