Beware Easter will be hear sooner than you think!

Options

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I'm not sure that I understand the problem here.

Does your religion mandate the consumption of candy?

You don't have any traditions that involve the consumption of larger than normal amounts of food?

No large Christmas lunch? No thanksgiving dinner? No birthdays?

Just about every celebration/ tradition that I'm involved with seems to involve food, and normally food that even in small amounts adds up fast and can cause you to go over.

Like Easter, wouldn't take much chocolate on top of lunch to go over for the day.

So I was asking what others do, seems some give away or throw away chocolate while others eat a little.

Sure you could not eat the chocolate, I could also not celebrate Easter at all but where is the fun in that?

Not really. I am not a Christian, so Easter means nothing to me. Isn't the whole chocolate bunny/egg thing for kids? Now you have me wondering if Easter in the UK is extremely different from Easter in the US.

I guess the one thing that I celebrate which involves a feast is Thanksgiving, but with a little planning I can have a nice holiday without even going over my daily goals.

Just don't buy chocolate if it is a problem for you. People aren't giving you chocolate and forcing it down your throat, are they?

If you want to have a special dinner, plan ahead so that you can fit it into your goals. A special piece of roasted meat, a couple of nice veggie dishes, one carby offering like potatoes, a rice dish or some good bread...you could probably even fit in a glass of wine and some dessert in if you have a lighter breakfast and lunch. Do a mock tracking and see where you stand.

I'm not seeing the problem...think it through, figure out which foods you enjoy the most and set your priorities. Even if you go a little over your goals, one day is not going to make or break you. You don't have to gorge yourself to have a feast. Plus, fun is really about a lot of things other than food--think about what means the most to you about the holiday and focus on enjoying those things which are calorie-free.

I'm not saying I am having some sort of crisis here, was just curious how others who celebrate Easter deal with the chocolate.

I'm not from the uk or us :) for me Easter is about getting together, having a BBQ, sharing some chocolate.

The chocolate being an integral part of the day, like I'm guessing a turkey is to thanksgiving.

Hmmm....Australia?

So you are positing that turkey: Thanksgiving as chocolate: Easter?

That doesn't seem quite right somehow. :)

I guess.

Is it thanksgiving with out a turkey? Seems pretty critical.
    Easter with out an Easter egg is just a day with the family, not Easter :p

No, Thanksgiving is about family and, you know, giving thanks. Thanksgiving can be celebrated with ham, lamb, tofurky or any number of other dishes. The food is not literally the point.

Aren't Easter eggs made of, you know, EGG? The chocolate is just marketing.

Saying that Easter is about chocolate is like saying that Valentine's Day is the epitome of true love.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    No, we don't celebrate thanksgiving or Halloween here in Australia.

so much wrong.

why? It's an American thing....

And Canadian. I am guessing OP might be from Canada.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm single, and live on my own. Other than a couple of cats, some tetras and an apple snail, and they're not really into chocolate.

I look at the Lindt bunnies, go 'mmmmm', and then think of all the non-bunny chocolate I could buy for the same price.

But it's really up to you how you handle the day OP. You could 'bank' some calories the week before and have a total chocolate-fest, or you could just work little bits into your days over an extended period.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    I'm not sure that I understand the problem here.

Does your religion mandate the consumption of candy?

You don't have any traditions that involve the consumption of larger than normal amounts of food?

No large Christmas lunch? No thanksgiving dinner? No birthdays?

Just about every celebration/ tradition that I'm involved with seems to involve food, and normally food that even in small amounts adds up fast and can cause you to go over.

Like Easter, wouldn't take much chocolate on top of lunch to go over for the day.

So I was asking what others do, seems some give away or throw away chocolate while others eat a little.

Sure you could not eat the chocolate, I could also not celebrate Easter at all but where is the fun in that?

Not really. I am not a Christian, so Easter means nothing to me. Isn't the whole chocolate bunny/egg thing for kids? Now you have me wondering if Easter in the UK is extremely different from Easter in the US.

I guess the one thing that I celebrate which involves a feast is Thanksgiving, but with a little planning I can have a nice holiday without even going over my daily goals.

Just don't buy chocolate if it is a problem for you. People aren't giving you chocolate and forcing it down your throat, are they?

If you want to have a special dinner, plan ahead so that you can fit it into your goals. A special piece of roasted meat, a couple of nice veggie dishes, one carby offering like potatoes, a rice dish or some good bread...you could probably even fit in a glass of wine and some dessert in if you have a lighter breakfast and lunch. Do a mock tracking and see where you stand.

I'm not seeing the problem...think it through, figure out which foods you enjoy the most and set your priorities. Even if you go a little over your goals, one day is not going to make or break you. You don't have to gorge yourself to have a feast. Plus, fun is really about a lot of things other than food--think about what means the most to you about the holiday and focus on enjoying those things which are calorie-free.

I'm not saying I am having some sort of crisis here, was just curious how others who celebrate Easter deal with the chocolate.

I'm not from the uk or us :) for me Easter is about getting together, having a BBQ, sharing some chocolate.

The chocolate being an integral part of the day, like I'm guessing a turkey is to thanksgiving.

Hmmm....Australia?

So you are positing that turkey: Thanksgiving as chocolate: Easter?

That doesn't seem quite right somehow. :)

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. You can throw ham in there, too, I guess.

Unlike Thanksgiving, which is generally agreed-upon as about turkey (and mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie), Easter suffers from the great ham/lamb split. I'm a lamb person. Thus, chocolate is needed to bring us all (who celebrate) together.

More seriously, ever major holiday seems to have food traditions attached to it. That doesn't mean you have to go overboard (most of them can be observed in a reasonably healthy way), but I am very much in favor of including them as part of the holiday.

Since Easter is a feast that (ideally, if one is religious IMO) follows a period of abstinence, including feasting seems appropriate, just as celebrating Mardi Gras/Pancake Tuesday with some food element seems fitting to me.

It's not required or particularly religious (no version of Christianity requires it, I imagine), but it's fun and festive.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

so much wrong.

Halloween isn't really, although clearly we have our particular traditions.
  • DucklingPrincess
    DucklingPrincess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest, I'm probably going to stop making an effort to get 1200 calories or above for a week or so before, and then eat whatever I want on Easter.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Look, I love chocolate and will take any excuse to eat it, but....Easter is when Christians celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. It has nothing to do with chocolate, just like Christmas has nothing to do with sleigh rides and sugar cookies.

If chocolate is part of your family tradition, that's one thing. But is it really the whole point of the holiday for you? Really?
  • pap3rw1ngs
    pap3rw1ngs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Last year I just ate one treat (a Malteaster bunny) and was done with it. This year I'm planing on doing the same, except with Cadbury Mini Eggs.
  • OpinionatedCyborg
    OpinionatedCyborg Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Is Easter a big eating holiday? Not like Thanksgiving or Christmas right?
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I haven't made it through Easter since I started using MFP so I've been wondering the same thing. On a normal day, I try make room in my plan to eat a little bit of chocolate almost every day now so I don't feel deprived and want to eat ALL the chocolate anymore. For Halloween and Christmas I just made some allowances in my plan for the stuff I REALLY LOVED and put the rest out of my sight and easy reach until it was all gone.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Is Easter a big eating holiday? Not like Thanksgiving or Christmas right?

In my family, Thanksgiving and Christmas are definitely bigger food holidays than Easter.

My favorite is Christmas Eve. We're Italian and try to do the Feast of Seven Fishes. But sometimes we cheat and might have the same kind of fish prepared in different ways. Shhh...don't tell anybody! :wink:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    i haven't been watching what I eat long enough to have had to deal with easter.

What do you guys do or suggest I do.

Not sure about everyone else but for me I normally get some small chocolate eggs, a few larger ones and 1-2 rabbit or bilby.

You say you "get" them. Gifts or do you buy? If you buy just skip it.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    pap3rw1ngs wrote: »
    Last year I just ate one treat (a Malteaster bunny) and was done with it. This year I'm planing on doing the same, except with Cadbury Mini Eggs.

If I had access to Malteaster bunnies where I live, I would have a much harder time resisting! I spent one Easter in the UK and the chocolates were amazing!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Australia doesn't have a harvest holiday (Thanksgiving was a celebration of bringing in the crop harvests), or a holiday to honor the dead? I must know Aussies that aren't Aussies because they celebrate both holidays.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat all the peanut butter eggs that the family gives me and give my kids whatever candy they want. I have 2 huge jelly belly samplers waiting for them already. I don't eat much candy, but i do like the peanut butter eggs and i won't throw out something that someone else gave me :p
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

zyxst wrote: »
    Australia doesn't have a harvest holiday (Thanksgiving was a celebration of bringing in the crop harvests), or a holiday to honor the dead? I must know Aussies that aren't Aussies because they celebrate both holidays.

Nope. The only thing we celebrate here is Christmas.
    We do have Australia Day (Australia's birthday) which is usually celebrated with a barbie in the backyard.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I don't celebrate Easter, but I do celebrate Ostara. Like a few people said, it has nothing to do with candy.

On a side note: if people knew the origin of "egg hunting" they likely would never let their children play again.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It's just candy. Nothing special. I understand how kids could get excited about their candy, but I could take it or leave it.

Any time I get chocolates, I stash them back for when I'm really wanting it and have the calories for it. I never eat it just because it's there.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

so much wrong.

Because CHOCOLATE, think of the children!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    i haven't been watching what I eat long enough to have had to deal with easter.

What do you guys do or suggest I do.

Not sure about everyone else but for me I normally get some small chocolate eggs, a few larger ones and 1-2 rabbit or bilby.

You say you "get" them. Gifts or do you buy? If you buy just skip it.

Why? Why would someone skip something htey enjoy?