Beware Easter will be hear sooner than you think!

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Chocolate has got nothing to do with Easter. Unless you have little kids that enjoy the easter egg hunt, like mine did
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Chocolate has got nothing to do with Easter. Unless you have little kids that enjoy the easter egg hunt, like mine did

Yes.

There are no kids in my family, so no easter baskets filled with chocolate.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Usually Easter chocolate is milk chocolate- which I don't like- I find it easy to throw out or give away. I eat a little dark chocolate practically everyday.
  • Christine_72

Or it could be a great excuse to stuff your face with chocolate :smiley::wink:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Merkavar wrote: »
    i haven't been watching what I eat long enough to have had to deal with easter.

What do you guys do or suggest I do.

Not sure about everyone else but for me I normally get some small chocolate eggs, a few larger ones and 1-2 rabbit or bilby.

If you celebrate Easter and generally get chocolate do you guys eat it and just go over for a few days, eat a little bit for days or weeks as a treat and stay in your limits or do you give it away or even throw it away and not eat it.

Just curious.

I will probably just eat a little bit and try to stay in the limits.

I do a fast on Good Friday and found last year that I ended up under for the week even with the Easter extras. (I fast for religious reasons, not dieting, obviously.) I just didn't go totally crazy with either the Easter feasting or the chocolate. I did eat some chocolate (and rack of lamb and a fancy Easter brunch)--I've celebrated the food elements of every holiday during the year I've been losing weight.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    tell me about it! I've been stalking up on cadbury eggs since they hit the shelves the week before valentine's day. I'm hoping to have a large enough stash to tide me over to have maybe one a week until the halloween ones hit the shelves. ;) same stock-up plan is in effect for russell stover eggs. I'm pretty sure after this, the holidays become more bbq-themed, so... I have to stock up while I can. time is of the essence!!

also debating picking up one of the tie-dyed egg-coloring kits once they go on clearance. they look purdiful. :D
  • lemurcat12
    I'm not sure that I understand the problem here.

Does your religion mandate the consumption of candy?

Anyone who has not read the David Sedaris piece on "the rabbit of easter" really should:

http://casadelogo.typepad.com/factesque/2005/03/the_rabbit_of_e.html
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    I work any chocolate into my daily goal. Easter isn't a huge chocolate/sweets day for me. Halloween otoh...
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2015
    Easter is really more of a strawberry and rhubarb pie day for me (along with lamb, yum, and devilled eggs, and sometimes these lemon and lavender cupcakes) than chocolate, because I don't have children. Last year my compromise was to do some chocolate because I didn't want to make a pie that I wasn't sure I wanted to eat, but I'm now totally up for it. Can't wait.

I also do always get roped into a post Easter Vigil party at my church that has lots of chocolate and alcohol, but I don't drink (I usually bartend) and am too picky about sweets to find most of what's on offer tempting, so makes it easy.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member

Or it could be a great excuse to stuff your face with chocolate :smiley::wink:

Or it could be a tradition that has been around for years. Chocolate and Easter have been connected as long as I have celebrated Easter. That's like saying presents have nothing to do with christmas.

Sure 1000 years ago they might not have celebrated the same way we do today but traditions have to start somewhere.

Anyway I'm not religious, so Easter is more about a family get together, a BBQ, chocolate and throwing eggs at a cameraman.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member

You don't have any traditions that involve the consumption of larger than normal amounts of food?

No large Christmas lunch? No thanksgiving dinner? No birthdays?

Just about every celebration/ tradition that I'm involved with seems to involve food, and normally food that even in small amounts adds up fast and can cause you to go over.

Like Easter, wouldn't take much chocolate on top of lunch to go over for the day.

So I was asking what others do, seems some give away or throw away chocolate while others eat a little.

Sure you could not eat the chocolate, I could also not celebrate Easter at all but where is the fun in that?

Not really. I am not a Christian, so Easter means nothing to me. Isn't the whole chocolate bunny/egg thing for kids? Now you have me wondering if Easter in the UK is extremely different from Easter in the US.

I guess the one thing that I celebrate which involves a feast is Thanksgiving, but with a little planning I can have a nice holiday without even going over my daily goals.

Just don't buy chocolate if it is a problem for you. People aren't giving you chocolate and forcing it down your throat, are they?

If you want to have a special dinner, plan ahead so that you can fit it into your goals. A special piece of roasted meat, a couple of nice veggie dishes, one carby offering like potatoes, a rice dish or some good bread...you could probably even fit in a glass of wine and some dessert in if you have a lighter breakfast and lunch. Do a mock tracking and see where you stand.

I'm not seeing the problem...think it through, figure out which foods you enjoy the most and set your priorities. Even if you go a little over your goals, one day is not going to make or break you. You don't have to gorge yourself to have a feast. Plus, fun is really about a lot of things other than food--think about what means the most to you about the holiday and focus on enjoying those things which are calorie-free.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    It seems like I can't go to any food store or pharmacy without encountering a huge display of Easter candy (featuring those horrid peeps.) I'm safe around those, but the Cadbury eggs call to me. I've ended up having one or more almost every day this week. And yet, I hit a new low weight this morning.

Hmmm...the Cadbury Egg Diet...
  • Merkavar

You don't have any traditions that involve the consumption of larger than normal amounts of food?

Just about every celebration/ tradition that I'm involved with seems to involve food, and normally food that even in small amounts adds up fast and can cause you to go over.

Like Easter, wouldn't take much chocolate on top of lunch to go over for the day.

So I was asking what others do, seems some give away or throw away chocolate while others eat a little.

Sure you could not eat the chocolate, I could also not celebrate Easter at all but where is the fun in that?

Not really. I am not a Christian, so Easter means nothing to me. Isn't the whole chocolate bunny/egg thing for kids? Now you have me wondering if Easter in the UK is extremely different from Easter in the US.

I guess the one thing that I celebrate which involves a feast is Thanksgiving, but with a little planning I can have a nice holiday without even going over my daily goals.

Just don't buy chocolate if it is a problem for you. People aren't giving you chocolate and forcing it down your throat, are they?

If you want to have a special dinner, plan ahead so that you can fit it into your goals. A special piece of roasted meat, a couple of nice veggie dishes, one carby offering like potatoes, a rice dish or some good bread...you could probably even fit in a glass of wine and some dessert in if you have a lighter breakfast and lunch. Do a mock tracking and see where you stand.

I'm not seeing the problem...think it through, figure out which foods you enjoy the most and set your priorities. Even if you go a little over your goals, one day is not going to make or break you. You don't have to gorge yourself to have a feast. Plus, fun is really about a lot of things other than food--think about what means the most to you about the holiday and focus on enjoying those things which are calorie-free.

I'm not saying I am having some sort of crisis here, was just curious how others who celebrate Easter deal with the chocolate.

I'm not from the uk or us :) for me Easter is about getting together, having a BBQ, sharing some chocolate.

The chocolate being an integral part of the day, like I'm guessing a turkey is to thanksgiving.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member

I'm not saying I am having some sort of crisis here, was just curious how others who celebrate Easter deal with the chocolate.

I'm not from the uk or us :) for me Easter is about getting together, having a BBQ, sharing some chocolate.

The chocolate being an integral part of the day, like I'm guessing a turkey is to thanksgiving.

Hmmm....Australia?

So you are positing that turkey: Thanksgiving as chocolate: Easter?

That doesn't seem quite right somehow. :)
  • Merkavar

Hmmm....Australia?

I guess.

Is it thanksgiving with out a turkey? Seems pretty critical.
    Easter with out an Easter egg is just a day with the family, not Easter :p

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member

None of these holidays requires that you eat an obscene amount of food. And even if you do, you can easily eat low calorie the rest of the day and save up calories.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member

Hmmm....Australia?

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. You can throw ham in there, too, I guess.
  • Christine_72
    No, we don't celebrate thanksgiving or Halloween here in Australia.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member

so much wrong.
  • Christine_72
    ana3067 wrote: »

so much wrong.

why? It's an American thing....