Is there such thing as good and bad calories?

Options

Replies

• mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    mokaiba wrote: »
    rsm193 wrote: »
    Is there a difference between good and bad calories or are calories just calories...like is it ok to eat fried food from home made in the deep fryer? Are those considered bad calories?

calorie is a unit of measure.

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
    Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories

when you want to lower calories, lower carbs and increase protein. Typically, most people consume too many carbs. 25g carbs = 100 calories.

Note: you want to eat 65g fat (585 calories of fat) or less on a 2000 calorie diet, however, less is not always better with fat. You do want to eat less than 20g saturated fat though.

perspective:

2000 calories
    =
    54g protein (215 calories)
    65g fat (585 calories)
    300g carb (1200 calories)

imo, if you lower carbs by 150g (600 calories) you should increase protein by 30g (336 calories), which would be 1736 calories (basically a 15% deficit).

Personally, for my needs, I eat:

146g protein (584 calories)
    87g fat (783 calories)
    85g carbs (340g carbs)
    =
    1707 (food diary doesn't add it up correctly and incorrectly lists it as 1671).

Note: I eat more fats due to my carbs being lower. There is a reasoning behind it that I dont feel like explaining.

What does that have to do with anything being discussed here?

answered the initial question in detail...

fried foods are full of saturated fat....

Its easier to understand something when given examples.
  • mokaiba
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Is there a difference between good and bad calories or are calories just calories...like is it ok to eat fried food from home made in the deep fryer? Are those considered bad calories?

when you want to lower calories, lower carbs and increase protein. Typically, most people consume too many carbs. 25g carbs = 100 calories.

Note: you want to eat 65g fat (585 calories of fat) or less on a 2000 calorie diet, however, less is not always better with fat. You do want to eat less than 20g saturated fat though.

perspective:

2000 calories
    =
    65g fat (585 calories)

imo, if you lower carbs by 150g (600 calories) you should increase protein by 30g (336 calories), which would be 1736 calories (basically a 15% deficit).

87g fat (783 calories)
    85g carbs (340g carbs)
    =

Note: I eat more fats due to my carbs being lower. There is a reasoning behind it that I dont feel like explaining.

What's wrong with saturated fat?

The you understand the relationship between saturated fat and testosterone?

Yes, I understand the relationship between cholesterol and test, but whats that have to do with the OPs (woman) question?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

perspective:

2000 calories
    =
    65g fat (585 calories)

87g fat (783 calories)
    85g carbs (340g carbs)
    =

So is there a point where saturate fat could be used too much in a diet? What if someone consumes 50-60% of their calories using just saturated fat. The rest are carbs(about 7%0 and protein. Would this make sense?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie from a pure energy measurement viewpoint. An 'empty calorie' term is often used when people eat 'food' that has no other form of bodily nutrition attached (pure sugar) and is only valuable to give energy but no value in terms of muscle repair, no heart/health protecting vitamins etc. Think a can of soda pop versus an apple (rich in vitamins, fiber and is much more than a calorie source). A calorie from either fat, protein, or carbohydrate source has different impact on hormones and body function so I and many many others, chose to take in calories from different categories in specific quantities to see how it impacts satiety. For example, many people, including myself, find that a diet with proportions of calories from protein and fat and less from carbohydrate help control insulin spikes and leptin production signaling hunger in the brain. So yes, a calorie is a calorie and no, a calorie is not a calorie. Confused? So is everyone else!!

fist part good, second part bad…

protein spikes insulin so are you controlling for that too?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Basically the OP is asking, are there any bad foods, and suggests that deep fried food might be.
    Oh, no... deep fried foods are very good. Tasty.
    Not particularly good for you, but tasty.
    Just have them in smaller amounts and less often.

I think most people use "good" for things which are lower-calorie, lower-fat, higher-nutrition-density, higher-fiber, etc. - things we should eat more of;
    and "bad" for things which are the opposite, things we should eat less of.
    The problem comes with things like nuts, which are "good" in terms of nutrition & healthy fat, but "bad" in terms of high calorie (so don't eat lots).
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Basically the OP is asking, are there any bad foods, and suggests that deep fried food might be.
    Oh, no... deep fried foods are very good. Tasty.
    Not particularly good for you, but tasty.
    Just have them in smaller amounts and less often.

I think most people use "good" for things which are lower-calorie, lower-fat, higher-nutrition-density, higher-fiber, etc. - things we should eat more of;
    and "bad" for things which are the opposite, things we should eat less of.
    The problem comes with things like nuts, which are "good" in terms of nutrition & healthy fat, but "bad" in terms of high calorie (so don't eat lots).
    I think the problem comes when people don't understand their goals in the proper context (getting specific amounts/ranges of calories/macros/micros) and try to oversimplify things by calling stuff "good" and "bad" as if these are inherent properties of foods.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Calorie as a unit of measure for energy.

Is there good or bad energy?

I guess there is.

Doesn't the good side have the upper hand right now?
    But what's coming in episode 7, does the dark side become stronger?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

I guess there is.

Dunno, are they doing a storyline based on Timothy Zahn's Thrawn series?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Drinking tons of Sierra Nevada. If it's bad don't tell me so.
  • mokaiba
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

perspective:

2000 calories
    =
    65g fat (585 calories)

87g fat (783 calories)
    85g carbs (340g carbs)
    =

So is there a point where saturate fat could be used too much in a diet? What if someone consumes 50-60% of their calories using just saturated fat. The rest are carbs(about 7%0 and protein. Would this make sense?

All im gonna say on that is everything in moderation.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I guess there is.

Only when you restrict too much and get hangry.....

• SweatEBettE
    SweatEBettE Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been logging food daily for about four months and who works out hard six days a week on the average, I can say that when I was only looking at the calorie number and staying within that on a daily basis (and not really paying attention to fat, protein, carbs or sugar), I noticed no significant changes to the appearance of my body ... even though I know I'm getting stronger based on my ability to accomplish more reps, etc. (I'd say I was usually way under on carbs, and wayyyy over on fat and/or sugar, depending on the day).

The last three weeks, I have focused on not only staying within my calorie goal, but also making sure that my fat grams were at or under the recommended number. Huge results. Every day, someone comments on my "weight loss" (although the number on the scale has stayed pretty much the same). My muscle definition is becoming more apparent and I have lost several inches off my thighs and stomach. So - I think a calorie is a calorie and it's basically a mathmatical equation, yes. But I also think that the composition of the calories you put in your mouth definitely affects your physical appearance, even if the numbers don't show it.
    -
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Seconded.

• _Terrapin_
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

perspective:

2000 calories
    =
    65g fat (585 calories)

87g fat (783 calories)
    85g carbs (340g carbs)
    =

All im gonna say on that is everything in moderation.

I would agree with this....

• _Terrapin_
    Options

I guess there is.

This depends on what you want in the last 3 episodes; do you want viewers coming back for the next season?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

:heart: