Is there such thing as good and bad calories?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been logging food daily for about four months and who works out hard six days a week on the average, I can say that when I was only looking at the calorie number and staying within that on a daily basis (and not really paying attention to fat, protein, carbs or sugar), I noticed no significant changes to the appearance of my body ... even though I know I'm getting stronger based on my ability to accomplish more reps, etc. (I'd say I was usually way under on carbs, and wayyyy over on fat and/or sugar, depending on the day).

The last three weeks, I have focused on not only staying within my calorie goal, but also making sure that my fat grams were at or under the recommended number. Huge results. Every day, someone comments on my "weight loss" (although the number on the scale has stayed pretty much the same). My muscle definition is becoming more apparent and I have lost several inches off my thighs and stomach. So - I think a calorie is a calorie and it's basically a mathmatical equation, yes. But I also think that the composition of the calories you put in your mouth definitely affects your physical appearance, even if the numbers don't show it.
    -

Or it could be that after 4 months of consistently staying within calorie goal and working out faithfully, the recomp began to be visible, regardless of the content of your calories. But no doubt, it is healthier, so keep doing what you are doing.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    laurielima wrote: »
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    rsm193 wrote: »
    Is there a difference between good and bad calories or are calories just calories...like is it ok to eat fried food from home made in the deep fryer? Are those considered bad calories?

I did not mean to be so abrupt but asking if cals are good or bad starts a big rukus on this site. in my opinion...there are bad cals in the food world. I do eat them but I know they are bad and I adjust ALL of my eating to support the fact that I am eating bad calories.

other people want to call it healthy cals v unhealthy cals or empty cals v nutritious cals.

Its just splitting hairs. IMO

What makes specific calorie bad?

When it's more than you need.

If the calorie is more than you need, it's no better or worse because of the eating. It just is what it is either way. The act of eating the excess calorie may lead to a undesired effect. To me it's an important distinction.

Are you honestly telling me that the calories from a ...tomato and from a fried dough..are somehow similar calories in your eyes. One calorie count is packed with nutrition and one calorie count is not. wow. i can't believe you have to be told that but...ok.

Wow, You picked the one evil food that is often thrown at others in anger... :bigsmile: I know which of the two I'd pick. I've actually in recent months stopped buying tomatoes since I probably just don't really like them, and have been experimenting with a fried dough snack over the last few days. Either of those items can be "part" of a healthy diet. Zoom out a little for a better view
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    rsm193 wrote: »
    Is there a difference between good and bad calories or are calories just calories...like is it ok to eat fried food from home made in the deep fryer? Are those considered bad calories?

I did not mean to be so abrupt but asking if cals are good or bad starts a big rukus on this site. in my opinion...there are bad cals in the food world. I do eat them but I know they are bad and I adjust ALL of my eating to support the fact that I am eating bad calories.

other people want to call it healthy cals v unhealthy cals or empty cals v nutritious cals.

Its just splitting hairs. IMO

What makes specific calorie bad?

When it's more than you need.

If the calorie is more than you need, it's no better or worse because of the eating. It just is what it is either way. The act of eating the excess calorie may lead to a undesired effect. To me it's an important distinction.

Are you honestly telling me that the calories from a ...tomato and from a fried dough..are somehow similar calories in your eyes. One calorie count is packed with nutrition and one calorie count is not. wow. i can't believe you have to be told that but...ok.

Wow, You picked the one evil food that is often thrown at others in anger... :bigsmile: I know which of the two I'd pick. I've actually in recent months stopped buying tomatoes since I probably just don't really like them, and have been experimenting with a fried dough snack over the last few days. Either of those items can be "part" of a healthy diet. Zoom out a little for a better view

:bigsmile:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You don't have to throw out the deep fryer to lose weight. This is how I would eat my one piece of deep fried chicken. I'd have a large Greek salad lightly dressed to go with it. One piece of chicken would stay in my calorie goal for the meal and the salad would fill me up. The micro nutrients in the salad not to mention the fiber are bonus.