Sugar as evil

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    This poster will refer herself in the third person for the remainder of this just well, because....
    The topic was sugar as evil, right?

This poster found a totally decadent torte that meets all the (current) requirements of a whole fooder. She just ran it through the recipe builder and the entire cake racks up about 4,000 calories. She makes the assumption of self-control from the average consumer, and let's pretend 1/10 of the cake is a judicious delight. That portion contains 200 calories including 14g of carbohydrate from the fruits, of which 8g are sugars (all naturally occurring). Is it evil or is it good? Does the type of sugar really matter? Will a whole fooder lose weight while including this in their day, and a calorie counter gain?

Eaten alone, this one is definitely a fattener.

4000 / 10 = 400. Did you do the macros as 1/10th or 1/20th?
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The topic was sugar as evil, right?
    You...pardon "she" shouldn't read just the title of the topic, also because I think that the OP just forgot to put a question mark. In fact, the OP asked:
    " If I have calories left for the day, should I avoid fruit and just eat a protein snack? Am I putting myself at risk even with even a slightly higher level of sugar intake? "

You...pardon "she" can find my answers to those questions, totally in line with the AHA recommendations about added sugar intake. If you...pardon "she" doesn't find those recommendations reasonable she can feel free to enlighten us and the scientific community about what a recommended sugar intake should look like, instead of posting a photo of a high caloric torte.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The problem is most of the anti sugar stuff on here has nothing to do with the scientific community's recommendations, at least if that's intended to include the WHO and AHA recommendations. For example, there's no reason to fear fruit or keep all sugar (including fruit, veggies, and dairy) below the MFP amounts. Similarly, the WHO recommendation is based largely on avoiding excess calories and getting sufficient nutrients, not the silly idea that eating a chocolate chip cookie is inherently unhealthy and inconsistent with a healthy diet (which OP didn't raise, but other posters did).

I think the WHO recommendation is quite reasonable, if not something that should cause you to freak out if you happen to have one day, once in a while, where you eat more sugar from pie than recommended. I think a lot of the sugar talk on MFP goes way beyond that.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Yet the pro-sugar folks seem to refuse those recommendations, also as parents...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Yet the pro-sugar folks seem to refuse those recommendations, also as parents...
    Which pro-sugar folks, and in what way?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    bla, bla, bla sugar = satan on earth …am I missing anything else? Have the sugars invaded and taken over the planet yet?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Im addicted to sugar so I avoid anything with added sugar in it. I eat fruits but cereal, granola bars, & a lit of breads I dont eat. And if I do, it'll be on a cheat day. I know my body well and if I have sugar I might overdo it and have too much.

*sigh* …

so you treat your sugar addiction with more sugar? Does that mean crack heads can treat their addiction with more cocaine????????
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Im addicted to sugar so I avoid anything with added sugar in it. I eat fruits but cereal, granola bars, & a lit of breads I dont eat. And if I do, it'll be on a cheat day. I know my body well and if I have sugar I might overdo it and have too much.

*sigh* …

so you treat your sugar addiction with more sugar? Does that mean crack heads can treat their addiction with more cocaine????????
    They're only addicted to added cocaine. Naturally-occurring cocaine is totally fine.
  • ndj1979
    Options

*sigh* …

They're only addicted to added cocaine. Naturally-occurring cocaine is totally fine.

rigggggghhhhhhhhhhht …because cocaine from a plant = good…crack = cooked so bad?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Im addicted to sugar so I avoid anything with added sugar in it. I eat fruits...

I'm having trouble following the logic here. Fruits are loaded with sugars - are you addicted to sugar, or "added sugar"?

If you added ketchup (tomatoes are a fruit) to a hot dog, would that count as added sugar for the hot dog?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

*sigh* …

rigggggghhhhhhhhhhht …because cocaine from a plant = good…crack = cooked so bad?

Of course it's bad, crack is processed!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

*sigh* …

Actually, I believe that most cocaine nowadays is artificially produced. Something to do with burning all the poppy fields creating a shortage.

But I could be talking crapola as its something I remember hearing/reading.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Mitzimum wrote: »
    I simply don't eat REFINED sugar. All sugars are not the devil but
    a) refined sugar is literally empty calories
    b) it causes you to retain water
    c) there are healthier alternatives that actually give you nutrition (ie. whole fruit, yogurt etc)
    d) it can cause insulin resistance which can, in turn (in some people) lead to diabetes. This has to be excessive consumption though.
    I could go on all day but I won't, just thought Id share my top 4.

A. They are not empty as they are carbs and if you look at the side of a box of cereal there are nutrients in there. They do provide energy. They can aid in replenishment of glycogen. They can help promote insulin releases that are pretty important in muscle growth.

B. None refined carbs do that too.

C. Refer to A. Many of us also include those "healthier alternatives" in our diets because we like them.

D. If you go look, refined sugar is not on the list of diabetes culprits. Over consumption of food leading to obesity is. That's where your excessive consumption line comes in. Excessive consumption of food.
    c) there are healthier alternatives that actually give you nutrition (ie. whole fruit, yogurt etc)
    d) it can cause insulin resistance which can, in turn (in some people) lead to diabetes. This has to be excessive consumption though.

A. They are not empty as they are carbs and if you look at the side of a box of cereal there are nutrients in there. They do provide energy. They can aid in replenishment of glycogen. They can help promote insulin releases that are pretty important in muscle growth.

C. Refer to A. Many of us also include those "healthier alternatives" in our diets because we like them.

D. If you go look, refined sugar is not on the list of diabetes culprits. Over consumption of food leading to obesity is. That's where your excessive consumption line comes in. Excessive consumption of food.
    a) They are empty carbs, there is no nutrient in sugar, cereal is usually fortified with synthetic vitamins and minerals as well as including grains which contain nutrients. The nutrient is not from the sugar.
    b) Carbs high in fibre actually assist with the reduction of water retention
    c) refer to a
    d) Exactly what list are you looking at there? I didn't say it caused diabetes.

Sorry but I addressed your points specifically. You're just moving around your position now to artsmpt to prove the evils of sugar. Not going to play that game.

your lack of ability to perceive my comments is duly noted. I won't bother repeating myself.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

a) They are empty carbs, there is no nutrient in sugar, cereal is usually fortified with synthetic vitamins and minerals as well as including grains which contain nutrients. The nutrient is not from the sugar.
    b) Carbs high in fibre actually assist with the reduction of water retention
    c) refer to a
    d) Exactly what list are you looking at there? I didn't say it caused diabetes.

Sorry but I addressed your points specifically. You're just moving around your position now to artsmpt to prove the evils of sugar. Not going to play that game.

your lack of ability to perceive my comments is duly noted. I won't bother repeating myself.

At the risk of being accused of not being able to 'perceive' your comment, I actually have a legit question as I have never heard of carbs high in fiber assisting with the reduction of water retention - can you explain more.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

*sigh* …

Actually, I believe that most cocaine nowadays is artificially produced. Something to do with burning all the poppy fields creating a shortage.

But I could be talking crapola as its something I remember hearing/reading.

really???? I have not heard that….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Im addicted to sugar so I avoid anything with added sugar in it. I eat fruits...

I'm having trouble following the logic here. Fruits are loaded with sugars - are you addicted to sugar, or "added sugar"?

If you added ketchup (tomatoes are a fruit) to a hot dog, would that count as added sugar for the hot dog?

I think you just caused a massive head explosion ….