Sugar as evil

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I'm going to post this on the sugar is evil threads from now on. Totally vegan, no-cook, gluten-free, very sweet, no manufactured sugars.

1c5a7317ec82e60290dfb750b2c0a269.jpg

That looks very similar to the chocolate cake I made last week from the Jeni's Homemade Ice Cream Desserts cookbook.

Obviously not the same as mine is most emphatically NOT vegan, no-cook, gluten-free, no manufactured sugars. It also was not very sweet, thanks to using sour cream, espresso, and unsweetened chocolate.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    In our neighborhood you would think it was a retirement community, you hardly ever see children outside playing and their probably 20+ children living in our subdivision.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I'm going to post this on the sugar is evil threads from now on. Totally vegan, no-cook, gluten-free, very sweet, no manufactured sugars.

You posted that without a link to the recipe? What good are you!?!?!?

http://talesofakitchen.com/desserts/chocolate-banana-cake-with-caramel-layer-and-cacao-nibs/
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

http://talesofakitchen.com/desserts/chocolate-banana-cake-with-caramel-layer-and-cacao-nibs/

You're my new favorite.

Although, that just looks like more work than something with flour and eggs. I'm lazy and unafraid of Teh Sugarz and Teh Glootinz.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    In our neighborhood you would think it was a retirement community, you hardly ever see children outside playing and their probably 20+ children living in our subdivision.

We used to play in the street all the time as kids, and we didn't have mobile phones, iPads etc, so if we wanted to chat to a friend we had to get off our backside and go see them. I grew up living in a small, quiet cul-de-sac though. My parents still live there and there are twice as many cars at least now, so maybe it wouldn't be as safe.

I live right by the sea and the seafront is perfect for the kids on their scooters, and in the Summer they have water jets for the kids to play in. It's so busy in the Summer, but in the Winter it's quiet, but we're there in all weathers lol. My kids love being outside.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Do they sell Nak'd bars in the US? That cake looks like a huge version of one of those. I shared a cocoa orange one with my daughter last week.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My intent is to drive the natural dieters crazy. Try and fit THAT baby in to your allowance. I am happy to report that it has a pleasant fruity undertone that could be dangerously addictive. Not to mention the chocolate.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

I've noticed the opposite in mine. It seems like very recently my street has become infested with little kids. They are all out playing when I get home from work. It's a slow cautious drive the last hundred yards. Especially sweet is that there's a grandpa out there playing with them as often as not.

I was begining to think that things had turned back around and that kids were wanting to play outside again (and that parents were allowing it) but from reading other posts here, I guess that's not the case.

• jgnatca
    Options
    Real fooders then. This treat is also non-baked. I also no longer drool past the bakery aisle, after two decades of eating as a diabetic. This recipe was for my chocoholic hubby, using up walnuts before they went rancid.

Allowance or no allowance, it would be hard not to gain weight eating whole foods like that torte.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    My intent is to drive the natural dieters crazy. Try and fit THAT baby in to your allowance. I am happy to report that it has a pleasant fruity undertone that could be dangerously addictive. Not to mention the chocolate.

Not sure what you mean by natural dieters. Myself and people I know who stick to whole foods no longer have any cravings response to pictures of deserts or even with walking by the bakery section. It's about as stimulating as the light fixtures. Actually, I've had many cases when the smell made me sick. And I used to drool over baked deserts back in the day. We also don't have allowances.

that would seem to be a personal preference and have nothing to do with what kind of food one eats...

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

You're my new favorite.

Although, that just looks like more work than something with flour and eggs. I'm lazy and unafraid of Teh Sugarz and Teh Glootinz.

Gluten is what makes my pizza crusts crispy. Long live gluten!
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    it would be hard not to gain weight eating whole foods like that torte.
    If you eat an entire one every day, surely, but I still don't get your point.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I've noticed the opposite in mine. It seems like very recently my street has become infested with little kids. They are all out playing when I get home from work. It's a slow cautious drive the last hundred yards. Especially sweet is that there's a grandpa out there playing with them as often as not.

I was begining to think that things had turned back around and that kids were wanting to play outside again (and that parents were allowing it) but from reading other posts here, I guess that's not the case.

Kids play outside where I live as well. But honestly, in many neighborhoods it's simply not safe for children to play outside alone anymore. When I was young our parents kicked us out of the house and said 'be home for dinner'. That's not always wise in today's world. It's not all about being lazy.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @Gianfranco_R , I can live with your befuddlement.
    @Need2Exerc1se , have you heard of the Free Range Kids movement?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    @Gianfranco_R , I can live with your befuddlement.
    @Need2Exerc1se , have you heard of the Free Range Kids movement?

I have not. But what a sad state of affairs that something like this is needed. :\
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If could maintain good health while smoking, just by counting how many I smoke, I would be a smoker right now. But hey at least it works for eating, and it's more than worth the few minutes of effort in order to be able to eat the foods I like instead of living a life of deprivation.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Kids play outside where I live as well. But honestly, in many neighborhoods it's simply not safe for children to play outside alone anymore. When I was young our parents kicked us out of the house and said 'be home for dinner'. That's not always wise in today's world. It's not all about being lazy.

Ironically, the rates of crimes against children have dropped since most of us were little. It's just the fearmongering of 24 hour newsmedia that have people convinced that it's somehow more dangerous to be a kid now than it used to be.