Low Carb

Options
Hi I'm a newbie. Just wondering how others on a low carb diet set their nutritional goals to fit in with low carb?

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Check out the Low Carber Daily Forum group. There's also a great "launch pad" at the top of the group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • killakyle420
    Options
    Honestly if your a newbie you shouldnt be thinking low carb yet, pay your dues first and just eat a balanced diet.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member
    Options
    Honestly if your a newbie you shouldnt be thinking low carb yet, pay your dues first and just eat a balanced diet.
    WTH?

• killakyle420
    Options
    Why go straight into low carb before even starting? You don't have to cut out carbs if you don't have to and it's nice to have that extra energy in the gym.
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    Why go straight into low carb before even starting? You don't have to cut out carbs if you don't have to and it's nice to have that extra energy in the gym.

The OP is asking for help with a low carb diet, not your opinion on whether they should be eating low carb or not.
  • killakyle420
    Options
    Fair enough it's just advice you don't have to use it!
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »

The OP is asking for help with a low carb diet, not your opinion on whether they should be eating low carb or not.

It's an open forum, you're going to get opinions on everything.
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »

And I am allowed to post mine.
  • killakyle420
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »

Exactly it's just an opinion not trying to insult anyone..
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    OP I agree with Mistizoom... Go to the Low Carber Group and inquire there. The open forum is just not a place to discuss low carb anything.
  • alicepalmerrussell442
    Options
    I set my daily goals for 80 % fat, 15 % protein and 5 % carbs, 28 carbs a day is my limit. My calorie intake is set at 2200 to maintain but I am still loosing. I can easily loose 10 - 15 more pounds. I am down 70 pounds and I feel amazing. I have been low carb for near 3 years. I manage to stay in these parameters quite well. I am Ketogenic. I do not rely on carbs for energy. I rely on fat for my energy and calories. I have replaced my body fat with muscle. I do work out too. I am over 50 years old and have never in life felt this good or never looked this good. I am actually building abs! Welcome to the low carb lifestyle.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Definitely join some low carb groups. Even within them opinions vary. I had to experiment a bit to find what works best for me. People have varying insulin resistance issues - you may need to restrict a lot or just a bit to drop weight.

Here's a handy low carb calculator for setting your macros. http://www.flexibleketogenic.com
  • mightymooloos
    mightymooloos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the well meaning advice however I am not a newbie to either weight loss or low carb eating I am simply a newbie to My Fitness Pal. Yes I had noticed low carb seems to be of a swear word after I had posted, and have since joined the group. We all have our own reasons for choosing whatever we try to lose weight, each to their own.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

PAY YOUR DUES? What does that even mean????

Signed: not low carb, but I find your posts here ABSURD.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Options
    Load of crap.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Check out the Low Carber Daily Forum group. There's also a great "launch pad" at the top of the group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

+1. I'm not low carb, but if you are, join this group. NICE, supportive and INFORMED folks there. cheers
  • mightymooloos
    mightymooloos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I set my daily goals for 80 % fat, 15 % protein and 5 % carbs, 28 carbs a day is my limit. My calorie intake is set at 2200 to maintain but I am still loosing. I can easily loose 10 - 15 more pounds. I am down 70 pounds and I feel amazing. I have been low carb for near 3 years. I manage to stay in these parameters quite well. I am Ketogenic. I do not rely on carbs for energy. I rely on fat for my energy and calories. I have replaced my body fat with muscle. I do work out too. I am over 50 years old and have never in life felt this good or never looked this good. I am actually building abs! Welcome to the low carb lifestyle.

Thank you
  • Yogi_warrior
    Options

^^^ this. I can lose 2 lbs a week on a 2300-2400 cal ketogenic diet. OP try it, if it works for you, great. If not try to figure out whats best for you.

• killakyle420
    Options

I mean just spend some time actually eating healthy, with a caloric deficit, and train to the best of your abilities before jumping into under 50g carbs a day. Not that I have anything against low carb, it's just an opinion no need to get worked up about it :p
  • Yogi_warrior
    Options

I mean just spend some time actually eating healthy, with a caloric deficit, and train to the best of your abilities before jumping into under 50g carbs a day. Not that I have anything against low carb, it's just an opinion no need to get worked up about it :p

Whats healthy?