it is probably not "muscle"

Options

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Going to lay this one out there, because lately it seems like I am seeing this one a lot and it makes my head hurt.

It usually goes a little something like this…

OP comes into thread and says they are not losing and are on a 1200 calorie diet and are doing 30 minutes a day of "exercise", which does not involve a lifting program where one progressively lifts heavier weights.
    Posters come into the thread and say "oh, you are just gaining muscle"

Sigh, I am sorry but a 1200 calories diet and doing a 30 minute a day cardio based program that MAY have some resistance training built into it, you are not gaining muscle.

Can you build muscle in a calorie deficit? Yes, you can but it is usually limited to two populations…

1. The obese beginner that starts out and is doing weight training where they lift progressively heavier things.
    2. High performance athletes.

For the 90% of the rest of us we are not going to build muscle in a deficit.

Building muscle is hard work, and the fact that some think that it will just magically appear on a 1200 to 1400 calorie diet drives me crazy.

It's likely water gain for a new workout regime.

Also, if I may...I love your hair. Is that your natural color?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Going to lay this one out there, because lately it seems like I am seeing this one a lot and it makes my head hurt.

OP comes into thread and says they are not losing and are on a 1200 calorie diet and are doing 30 minutes a day of "exercise", which does not involve a lifting program where one progressively lifts heavier weights.

Sigh, I am sorry but a 1200 calories diet and doing a 30 minute a day cardio based program that MAY have some resistance training built into it, you are not gaining muscle.

Can you build muscle in a calorie deficit? Yes, you can but it is usually limited to two populations…

1. The obese beginner that starts out and is doing weight training where they lift progressively heavier things.

Building muscle is hard work, and the fact that some think that it will just magically appear on a 1200 to 1400 calorie diet drives me crazy.

It's likely water gain for a new workout regime.

Also, if I may...I love your hair. Is that your natural color?

Lol

Yes,but it only comes out once a year for st pattys day run...weird, I know, my dr can't figure it out
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    some woman argued with me one day when she said she was doing the brazilian buttlift and was gaining new muscles in her glutes that werent there before(eating at a deficit) and she knows it was new muscle because she could tell by how it felt. oy vey

That is when you request in person inspection
    I didnt know this person personally and she doesnt live anywhere near me, but being female myself i dont want to see or inspect any other womans glutes lol
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it doesn't help that this is on the check-in page where you enter your weight and measurements:
    Taking your measurements can be an even better gauge of your progress because when you burn fat and build heavier muscle, your weight may not change or even increase even though your body is tighter and smaller.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I also love the muscle weighs more than fat so you must be putting on a decent amount of muscle if you are gaining weight spiel(all the while the person has been in a deficit for awhile)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    some woman argued with me one day when she said she was doing the brazilian buttlift and was gaining new muscles in her glutes that werent there before(eating at a deficit) and she knows it was new muscle because she could tell by how it felt. oy vey

Lol. The pump comes on strong when you start targeting glutes. I started Strong Curves in a cut and noticed it. Plus it tends to stick around between workouts because you mindlessly start flexing your glutes more.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm sure it doesn't help that this is on the check-in page where you enter your weight and measurements:
    Taking your measurements can be an even better gauge of your progress because when you burn fat and build heavier muscle, your weight may not change or even increase even though your body is tighter and smaller.

Really mfp???? Wow!
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    This common sense thread is getting saved to my bookmarks so I can retreat to it when I'm overwhelmed by all the bro-science and BS (same thing I guess) on here.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Lol. The pump comes on strong when you start targeting glutes. I started Strong Curves in a cut and noticed it. Plus it tends to stick around between workouts because you mindlessly start flexing your glutes more.

In...for glute flexing
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Actually, if you want to play the probability game, they probably are in your category #1 and sedentary and obese, and probably are building a little bit of muscle, because even 30 mins of exercise is significant for a previously sedentary obese person. They are also probably not weighing their food and are probably not really on 1200 calories, but more like 1600-2200 calories. But, all in all, they are actually in a good space, a sedentary new exerciser building a small amount of muscle and not gaining weight, maybe just encourage them to start lifting and weigh their food?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    This common sense thread is getting saved to my bookmarks so I can retreat to it when I'm overwhelmed by all the bro-science and BS (same thing I guess) on here.

Lol Cosigned
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Actually, if you want to play the probability game, they probably are in your category #1 and sedentary and obese, and probably are building a little bit of muscle, because even 30 mins of exercise is significant for a previously sedentary obese person. They are also probably not weighing their food and are probably not really on 1200 calories, but more like 1600-2200 calories. But, all in all, they are actually in a good space, a sedentary new exerciser building a small amount of muscle and not gaining weight, maybe just encourage them to start lifting and weigh their food?

Yes, standard response is to get a food scale, log everything , and get on structured lifting program...

I just don't see anyone adding any muscle on cardio only program, as some seem be on...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Oh you and your pesky science :p

But what about this? I bought some bread yesterday that is called 'fitness bread'*. Eating that is going to instantly make me buff, right???*

(*ingredients sounded yum)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    please now address the concept of "toning" as in I only want to "tone"
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I get what you are saying but she was trying to say she was growing new muscle that was not there before .not building them up or burning fat but growing brand new muscle she didnt have before.she was like I know what muscle I had there before and this is new it wasnt there before.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I love this. I get upset when I see so many posters respond this way, especially if someone with experience doesn't catch it and chime in. I just don't want people who are trying to lose weight to assume "it's muscle", because you SHOULD see the scale move-even if you've added exercise and are retaining water, it should be moving down. And if it's not, then something in your diet needs to be fixed.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I get what you are saying but she was trying to say she was growing new muscle that was not there before .not building them up or burning fat but growing brand new muscle she didnt have before.she was like I know what muscle I had there before and this is new it wasnt there before.

I understood what you were saying just fine. Muscle pump = increased bloodflow to muscles, not increased muscle tissue. A lot of people (esp. newbs) confuse the two.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    why would the scale go down if retaining water? it will go up. water retention and weight going up on the scale does not always mean something in your diet needs fixed. your weight can fluctuate(that time of the month,aggressive exercise,weight training,etc) and you retain up to 10lbs of water so its going to reflect on the scale.just because you gain weight doesnt mean its fat.my weight fluctuates day to day sometimes up to 5lbs difference I know its just a fluctuation/water weight or due to inflammation having RA.also for beginners it may take a month or more just to lose weight(or see it on the scale) I lost the inches before I saw a difference on the scale.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    please now address the concept of "toning" as in I only want to "tone"

+1 because don't want to get accidentally gross and She-hulk by lifting more than 4 pounds. (because lifting toddlers, bags of pet food/litter, and furniture when vacuuming don't count BECAUSE LADYJOBS)
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    You're a damn bully.

You're cramming your beliefs down peoples throats!!!

tumblr_mdmrml4gFW1r8ygroo1_r1_500.gif