it is probably not "muscle"

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Going to lay this one out there, because lately it seems like I am seeing this one a lot and it makes my head hurt.

It usually goes a little something like this…

OP comes into thread and says they are not losing and are on a 1200 calorie diet and are doing 30 minutes a day of "exercise", which does not involve a lifting program where one progressively lifts heavier weights.
    Posters come into the thread and say "oh, you are just gaining muscle"

Sigh, I am sorry but a 1200 calories diet and doing a 30 minute a day cardio based program that MAY have some resistance training built into it, you are not gaining muscle.

Can you build muscle in a calorie deficit? Yes, you can but it is usually limited to two populations…

1. The obese beginner that starts out and is doing weight training where they lift progressively heavier things.
    2. High performance athletes.

For the 90% of the rest of us we are not going to build muscle in a deficit.

Building muscle is hard work, and the fact that some think that it will just magically appear on a 1200 to 1400 calorie diet drives me crazy.

Oh you and your pesky science :p

But what about this? I bought some bread yesterday that is called 'fitness bread'*. Eating that is going to instantly make me buff, right???*

(*ingredients sounded yum)
    Not if it's white bread, because white bread is crap.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    please now address the concept of "toning" as in I only want to "tone"
    That only happens if you are following a strength toning program.
  • nerdymathgrrl
    nerdymathgrrl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I hate when people say that.
    EWJLang wrote: »

+1 because don't want to get accidentally gross and She-hulk by lifting more than 4 pounds. (because lifting toddlers, bags of pet food/litter, and furniture when vacuuming don't count BECAUSE LADYJOBS)
    Also, I love this!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

51KfMb1W-rL._SX342_.jpg

Am I doing it rite?!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

+1 because don't want to get accidentally gross and She-hulk by lifting more than 4 pounds. (because lifting toddlers, bags of pet food/litter, and furniture when vacuuming don't count BECAUSE LADYJOBS)

I do all of these, plus the grocery shopping and cooking and dishes. When will my new boobs grow in, and when should I expect my first period?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You're a damn bully.

You're cramming your beliefs down peoples throats!!!

tumblr_mdmrml4gFW1r8ygroo1_r1_500.gif

i know….heaven forbid I inject knowledge into the forums...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

51KfMb1W-rL._SX342_.jpg

Am I doing it rite?!

Ugh. If I had only known. I wouldn't have spent so much time doing 100 crunches a day to tone my belly if I could just rub this on me.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Going to lay this one out there, because lately it seems like I am seeing this one a lot and it makes my head hurt.

OP comes into thread and says they are not losing and are on a 1200 calorie diet and are doing 30 minutes a day of "exercise", which does not involve a lifting program where one progressively lifts heavier weights.

Sigh, I am sorry but a 1200 calories diet and doing a 30 minute a day cardio based program that MAY have some resistance training built into it, you are not gaining muscle.

Can you build muscle in a calorie deficit? Yes, you can but it is usually limited to two populations…

1. The obese beginner that starts out and is doing weight training where they lift progressively heavier things.

Building muscle is hard work, and the fact that some think that it will just magically appear on a 1200 to 1400 calorie diet drives me crazy.

But what about this? I bought some bread yesterday that is called 'fitness bread'*. Eating that is going to instantly make me buff, right???*

Not if it's white bread, because white bread is crap.

I think this is only in Ireland. Where crap means something else. . . .hehehehe
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Lol at "Strength Toning program"!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

I do all of these, plus the grocery shopping and cooking and dishes. When will my new boobs grow in, and when should I expect my first period?

I don't know, but you may have just made me a lesbian.
  • ndj1979
    Options

yes, bulkiness is in your future...
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    You're a damn bully.

You're cramming your beliefs down peoples throats!!!

tumblr_mdmrml4gFW1r8ygroo1_r1_500.gif

i know….heaven forbid I inject knowledge into the forums...

That's like the best thing you could inject anywhere. :D

• Testami73
    Testami73 Posts: 35
    Options
    I gain muscle... and I am not a newbie. I am obese but have been lifting for 4 years. I wore the same clothes (not just the same size, but some of the same exact clothes) at 320 as I had years earlier at 270. I am currently on a deficit and had a new personal record for bench press as well as going up on deadlift weight today.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Testami73 wrote: »
    I gain muscle... and I am not a newbie. I am obese but have been lifting for 4 years. I wore the same clothes (not just the same size, but some of the same exact clothes) at 320 as I had years earlier at 270. I am currently on a deficit and had a new personal record for bench press as well as going up on deadlift weight today.

strength gains do not equal muscle gains.

you can train your muscles to perform better and lift more efficiently, but that does not mean you have added new muscle.

do you have before and after measurements from 320, to 300 to 270???
  • Testami73
    Options
    I do not have measurements from when I was 270 (in 2003 after a VLCD and cardio only.) I do have them from 396 -> 320. I haven't taken new measurements anytime recently. Will do that again eventually. I have been trusting how my clothes fit and the strength increases.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

yes, bulkiness is in your future...

Thanks Magic 8 Ball!!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Can we not drag this into the tired old "someone says they gained muscle in a deficit so they MUST be wrong" thing? Please!
    There are so many variables that it would be nice if we could have sensible discussions without trying to disprove everyone.

Brad Schoenfeld
    There is no question that even advanced lifters can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. However, you CANNOT maximize hypertrophy while losing fat. Important distinction.

• ndj1979
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Can we not drag this into the tired old "someone says they gained muscle in a deficit so they MUST be wrong" thing? Please!
    There are so many variables that it would be nice if we could have sensible discussions without trying to disprove everyone.

Brad Schoenfeld
    There is no question that even advanced lifters can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. However, you CANNOT maximize hypertrophy while losing fat. Important distinction.

I don't disagree..

I just highly doubt that most people asking about this are in the "advanced lifter" category.

• ndj1979
    Options
    Testami73 wrote: »
    I do not have measurements from when I was 270 (in 2003 after a VLCD and cardio only.) I do have them from 396 -> 320. I haven't taken new measurements anytime recently. Will do that again eventually. I have been trusting how my clothes fit and the strength increases.

I don't doubt that you have had some gains. However, after four years of lifting any newbie gains would of been in the first year….

• Testami73
    Options
    Can you define what you mean by newbie gains? Thanks.