Significant other's thoughts on your weight loss

Options

Replies

• TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    He supports what I'm doing and makes sure that I'm able to do whatever I need to do to be able to calculate our food. He lets me pick food places when we go out to eat so I can get the nutrtional information. He constantly compliments me which can be a huge boost when weight loss isn't going my way.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    My husband met me when I was 10 lbs heavier.
    And has loved me and thought I was beautiful then. At that time I had 40 lbs to lose. Now I have 30 lbs to lose.

He is very supportive and wants me to be in shape. Not so that I look better because he thinks I'm already gorgeous. :blushing: But because he is a very active guy and he wants to do things with me, like go running, hiking, mountain biking, etc... And up until a few months ago, going up 2 flights of stairs (walking at a normal pace, not running up stairs) had me out of breath. He didn't like that. He mentioned that a few times, not in a "you're fat, lose weight" kind of way, but more of a "I don't think it's healthy for you to be so out of breath from only 2 flights of stairs".

So now, when I say I'm going to the gym, he says "awesome!". :bigsmile:
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    He is against it, wholeheartedly, because he is afraid I will lose my butt. I have assured him things will be fine. I am only trying to lose 10 lbs!

He will purposefully try to sabotage me too.... *shakes fist in air*
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My wife did it first. She lost some weight (didn't have that much to lose) and firmed up by going to the gym every day. I was somewhat supportive (worked out with her) but didn't join her in watching what I ate. She didn't pressure me but as she got in better shape I decided I didn't want to be her "fat husband". When I finally got on board, she was very supportive... although I think now she realizes she's created a monster as I work out even harder than she does now. :)
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My bf doesn't think I need to lose weight but he helps me along the way because he knows I want to. He built me my bike as a Valentines day present and goes riding with me. Its nice to be able to share healthy hobbies. I've only just started so theres no noticable difference yet but its nice that we can do this together.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Have you considered divorce?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    When I first decided to start working out and lifting weights, my boyfriend didn't think I'd keep up with it. I'd never worked out before in my life. Then after awhile when he realized I was serious (probably when the barbell showed up in our bedroom) I think he got a little intimated. Not that he wasn't supportive, but was down on himself because he wasn't working out and I was, my body was changing, his wasn't, etc. Now he seems more comfortable with the idea and seems to be liking said changes. :smokin:
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well not all sunshine and rainbows in my house! My husband at 70+ pounds overweight and the heaviest he has ever been, is not supportive in the least. He tried to be when I stood up and spoke out months ago. Now he guilts me when I don't eat what he's eating, when I buy healthier versions of foods he whines and complains. When I first lost the weight he was really excited about how much better I looked and our nightly activities increased :love: , but now I think he is embarrassed and depressed that he is overweight and I am not. I keep waiting for him to wake up and do something about it, but truthfully I think he is just too lazy. If marriage and my kids weren't so important to me I would leave, but I just keep hoping that someday it will get better!

Congratulations to those who don't have to deal with this, be very thankful of what you have! :drinker:
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My husband is both supportive and not. I know that sounds like a major contradiction, it is just he thinks being supportive is reminding me of things I need to do. The food police crap is the worse. I'll calculate a desert into my calories and when I get myself that small bowl of ice cream he says "Should you be eating that?" I give him my riding schedule and tell him these are the times and days I'm committed and he says he understands, but then will say he wants to go on a fishing trip on my long riding day (we are caring for his elderly mother we both can't be gone at the same time). But when I'm not riding because it is a rest day he will say "Shouldn't you be riding?"

Okay I'm done, all in all, he is really supportive and congratulates me when I do great and commiserates with me when I don't. It is just sometimes....
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    He thinks it's fine. But he thinks I already look great, so really he knows it's about me not him.

He DOES however LOVE when I pig out.
    Whenever I eat my own weight in Cheez It's he gives me a high five and says "atta girl"
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is the one that pushed me to start losing weight, he said that my health was at risk. Psh, like he's a doctor (although he was right) but now it's more about just getting healthy than "losing weight" really.

Momentarily unrelated, is that your leopard gecko? He's gorgeous!

My husband is probably sick of hearing me list what I'm eating and my calories, but he has started to ask if I'm okay with certain things for dinner, is very expressive of how proud he is of me, and has been great. He was a bit "enabling" for a while by telling me I wasn't fat (I was certainly getting there), but he's been nothing short of amazing.

I'm not sure he loves my newfound calorie awareness when I turn it on him and analyze his eating, though. 1300 calories? No wonder you're waking up hungry in the middle of the night, dingbat.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    my husband has told me that he loves me no matter what I look like, but that he wants me to be happy and he knows I am miserable and self-conscious looking the way I do.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My husband caught on early on. Chose the most opposite weight loss plan as mine for himself and is currently stealing my thunder.
  • mbharbison
    Options
    My husband has been a roller coaster! First, he was supportive of me starting. Then, as I spent more time with exercise & started become successful in my journey, he truly believed I was doing it because I was cheating on him. His insecurity has sky-rocketed! He does say nice things and really enjoys the extra "action" since I'm feeling more confident, but gets mad & won't talk to me if I spend too much time counting calories. Just the other night, he was furious because I was trying to log in a rather large meal. He said I never pay attention to him and I always "have my nose in my phone!" An hour later, he brought me a text message on his phone that his friend had sent about noticing my weight loss - he was proud. I can't figure it out! He has recently started making comments about his own weight - a mixture of insecurity & reaching out. I really hope he does as some of these others & jumps on my bandwagon! (Glad someone asked this so I could get it off my chest. Forgive me if I rambled. ????)
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Mine is completely supportive of anything I want. He loves me dearly and puts 100% effort into making me happy. Whether I want to weigh 100 or 500 pounds, he would totally support me in doing so. He will go to a gym with me or take me out for ice-cream or whatever I want. He is awesome-O and I wouldn’t trade him for anything.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    It's a bit of a double edged sword. He recently had to start taking a blood pressure pill and he is finally doing something more about his own weight to include his diet, not just exercise. Part of that is forced on him becuase I had to do a doctor ordered program and its just easier for it to be the same for all of us. So, I had lost a fair amount of weight just before he and I met (about 172) and then the last pregancy, etc and I had packed on some weight as well as him. I was probably about 218 when I said enough and started being healthier. He says that he loves me any way I am but in fact, he has said that while I'm still 'sexy' he thought I was sexy when heavy too. While I weigh about 10 lbs more still than when we met, I am smaller measurements in many areas due to the better exercise I practice now (running, HIITS, ect. rather than just dancing). And the girls are starting to shrink. He hates that but he hasn't been happy since I gave birth and those 46 KKKK went away pretty quick. I don't know what he will do when I go below the weight I was when we met. He better get over it or he can hit the road. The thing I wish he would get over and quit playing games with his health, is the fact that he thinks when he goes below 200 all these women are going to start fondling his butt in public. I keep telling him, you aren't 18 now and while you might have a nice butt, very few women would actually start fondling you without permission to do so. 18 was 30 years ago and the world has changed a bit since then. He can't seem to get past that though. I'm about to tell him to go see a councelor.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I've yo-yo'd pretty much the entire time we've been together and my previous MO was to do something for about 2 weeks then rage quit when I didn't see the results I thought I should have gotten. So when I started logging/running in December and lifting in February he rolled his eyes at me because he thought I was going to do it for a week or 2, quit, and move on to the next big thing.

Well here we are in June and I have stuck with it. I haven't lost a ton but my body is definitely different than it was in December. My husband is great. He loves me and my body no matter what shape it is, but I'd (and he'd) be lying if I said he doesn't like it better now. I'm not doing any of this to look good for him, but I am doing it to be around a long time to torture him into old age. I do it for me.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    My husband goes back and forth. It drives him crazy that I weigh everything out, measure everything, ask for all ingredients, work out etc but he supports me losing weight and trying to be healthier. Our lifestyles clash because he is processed food and fast food, while I am more for natural. He also gets a little jealous of other males looking at me.

I work out by myself (my husband despises working out) but he is usually in the same room gaming. He is okay with how I look and weigh (i was heavier when he met me) but I'm not. He has tried doing MFP a few times, but then loses interest and says "I'd rather be fat and happy then miserable and thin." which drives me nuts because we have a 16 month old and I want for us to be around (unlike both of us whose moms are deceased and our fathers are not in the picture). All I can do is keep going and hope he joins in eventually.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My husband has known me since child hood so he's seen me at every up and down. He's completely supportive of what I want to do. He mostly just wants me to stay confident, the details of how I do that are up to me. Which is why he rocks :)
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    My husband is 100% supportive. He even started logging and tracking with me now. Makes me happy.